The 2014 Boating Thread - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Huck_It_Baby View Post
    ....Hoping to hike Katahdin this summer so I think I'll have to bring the canoe along if I do!
    Oh yeah that's a must if you come up this far... Staying away from the most exposed to wind areas still offers nice breezes during the summer heat and humidity....and we haven't had excessive rain = blackflies aren't that bad, but mosquitoes are still in force.
    To travel around the area to any extent...the dirt&small-rock woods roads are the only game in town, but they put in some work on a lot of the roads earlier...so really not too bad.

Last edited by bigbog; Jun 18, 2014 at 12:57 PM.
    SteveD

Quote Originally Posted by 4aprice View Post
    The home owners have some valid points. On Lake Hopatcong their property technically ends at the waters edge and everything beyond is state controlled. That does not however give the boaters rights to go over and use their swim rafts or trampolines. Our crew has always been respectful and stayed far away from shore, out in the cove.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/new...arty/10499279/

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/new...arty/10695865/

We want to support the home owners with their complaints and at the same time preserve our anchoring location. As said the lake is state property, not private, so we believe they would have a hard time shutting it down.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

I can see arguments for both sides of the issue. Personally I would just move on to a new spot and drop anchor but I've always been boating on larger lakes with plenty of space. I can easily see why people want the right for their chill out spot.

The home owners have some valid points. On Lake Hopatcong their property technically ends at the waters edge and everything beyond is state controlled. That does not however give the boaters rights to go over and use their swim rafts or trampolines. Our crew has always been respectful and stayed far away from shore, out in the cove.

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/new...arty/10499279/

http://www.dailyrecord.com/story/new...arty/10695865/

We want to support the home owners with their complaints and at the same time preserve our anchoring location. As said the lake is state property, not private, so we believe they would have a hard time shutting it down.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    There's a party cove not far from us on Winnipesaukee, and I would be sad if I owned a home in that bay. Saturdays and Sundays during high season are a sh*t show. Google "Braun Bay" and see what comes up.

It's a fun place to hang out every once in a while, but best not to think about the water quality in there on a hot summer Saturday.

The Marine Patrol mostly cites people for "rafting." (http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...cgi?read=56578)
    ~ Marie
    "Decide what to be, and go be it."

Quote Originally Posted by WakeboardMom View Post
    There's a party cove not far from us on Winnipesaukee, and I would be sad if I owned a home in that bay. Saturdays and Sundays during high season are a sh*t show. Google "Braun Bay" and see what comes up.

It's a fun place to hang out every once in a while, but best not to think about the water quality in there on a hot summer Saturday.

The Marine Patrol mostly cites people for "rafting." (http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...cgi?read=56578)
    WBM great to hear from you again. Hope life is good up at the big lake. I have knowledge of Winnipesaukee (have spent time there with our boat as well as Lake George) and the web site.

Its interesting that Hopatcong has more of the characteristics of Winni then it does of George. Obviously on a much smaller scale. I think they should look at Winnipesaukee but realize its not quite the same beast. Winni's No Rafting zone's are pretty restrictive but its such a big lake there are plenty of places to spread out to and has public docking allowing access to shore. The sandbars at Braun and West Alton (there's one in Pagus too, right?) are pretty big. Shelving Rock Bay where we hang in Lake George is a big sand bar too. Hopatcong only has one small sand bar area and its subject to big wave action. Byram Cove has depths of 25 - 30 feet right off shore and is a protected no wake zone. I say this because I would not like to see a Winnipesaukee NRZ law applied to Byram Cove and don't think its necessary, but a variation of it might be suitable remedy.

The leader of the shore owners group didn't do his due diligence when he bought as this area has been used for this for much longer then the 7-8 years the article said. The state made it a no wake zone for a reason. To many of us its our beach/pool. The trespassing issue is unacceptable regardless if the trespasser's come from the lake or the road on the other side of the houses. It sucks that people litter but that too can come from other sources then the boats and we all have to do our part to clean up. So the other issue is the noise and this is the one I think can be contained and controlled. The loudest, rowdiest tie ups tend to be rather large with the ski boats and their tower speakers playing music for the whole group. I contend a limited raft size of 5 boats would ramp down the volume big time. The cove is patrolled and it would be easy for the cops to spot and break up larger parties before they got out of hand. I do think things have ramped up over the last 2 seasons. We seem to have had an influx of shore boats come up and discover the lake after Sandy wrecked Barnaget Bay. We will see what happens this weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

WBM great to hear from you again. Hope life is good up at the big lake. I have knowledge of Winnipesaukee (have spent time there with our boat as well as Lake George) and the web site.

Its interesting that Hopatcong has more of the characteristics of Winni then it does of George. Obviously on a much smaller scale. I think they should look at Winnipesaukee but realize its not quite the same beast. Winni's No Rafting zone's are pretty restrictive but its such a big lake there are plenty of places to spread out to and has public docking allowing access to shore. The sandbars at Braun and West Alton (there's one in Pagus too, right?) are pretty big. Shelving Rock Bay where we hang in Lake George is a big sand bar too. Hopatcong only has one small sand bar area and its subject to big wave action. Byram Cove has depths of 25 - 30 feet right off shore and is a protected no wake zone. I say this because I would not like to see a Winnipesaukee NRZ law applied to Byram Cove and don't think its necessary, but a variation of it might be suitable remedy.

The leader of the shore owners group didn't do his due diligence when he bought as this area has been used for this for much longer then the 7-8 years the article said. The state made it a no wake zone for a reason. To many of us its our beach/pool. The trespassing issue is unacceptable regardless if the trespasser's come from the lake or the road on the other side of the houses. It sucks that people litter but that too can come from other sources then the boats and we all have to do our part to clean up. So the other issue is the noise and this is the one I think can be contained and controlled. The loudest, rowdiest tie ups tend to be rather large with the ski boats and their tower speakers playing music for the whole group. I contend a limited raft size of 5 boats would ramp down the volume big time. The cove is patrolled and it would be easy for the cops to spot and break up larger parties before they got out of hand. I do think things have ramped up over the last 2 seasons. We seem to have had an influx of shore boats come up and discover the lake after Sandy wrecked Barnaget Bay. We will see what happens this weekend.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    On Winni there is also Patrician Shores where boats raft a lot.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Heading out on the lake today. Should be interesting. Got no feed back on what happened out there yesterday. I'll take the no news as good news.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Heading out on the lake today. Should be interesting. Got no feed back on what happened out there yesterday. I'll take the no news as good news.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ
    Thanks for the acknowledgement...life is great! I hope you have a good summer. : )

(Also we have 2-foot Baja for sale if you know anyone who might be interested. http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/4501930870.html)
    ~ Marie
    "Decide what to be, and go be it."

Thanks for the acknowledgement...life is great! I hope you have a good summer. : )

(Also we have 2-foot Baja for sale if you know anyone who might be interested. http://nh.craigslist.org/boa/4501930870.html)
    Nice boat, good luck with the sale. If IIRC you guys had a couple of vessels so it won't be taking you off the water. Love my 21 ft Chris Craft, perfect size and power. High School graduation today, party this weekend then the summer can really start for us. BTW our boy is going to Plymouth so we will be up in that area quite a bit and probably hit Winni as well. (Want to raft up? ) Got 4 Hopatcong boats (maybe more as people express interest) going to Lake George in August and that should be a lot of fun

Update on Hopatcong. Was out last Sunday and really not much has changed except the cops come through more often and the volume seemed a little subdued. Of course the real test will be the weekend following this next one.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

So just before the weekend of the 4th, we had a party for the boy's graduation. Cleaning up the party and putting away tables I tripped over one of those cast iron Umbrella bases with a table in my hands and crashed down on the table and my right hand. Dislocated 4th and 5th fingers on my right hand. So I'm on the DL for Water Skiing with a soft cast. . Hope it doesn't take out the whole season but will follow Dr's orders.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

Thread Information