• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

The PBR Thread

dlague

I have thought Nick. - PBR comes in a keg too! So you buy one and we will supply the solo cups! Let us know when and we will be there!

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

drjeff

I don't know if I've ever had a PBR.

(runs and hides).

Seriously though. I don't know why, I just don't think I have. It seems it's had a revival everywhere recently. This is sort of interesting

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=610998

I guess it appeals to the hipster types for it's unpretentious, unapologetic beery-ness

Take a bud/miller high life/Coors, and then add some sugar - that's pretty much what a PBR does for my pallate!

I try and limit my PBR consumption to either when I ski at Bromley (gotta have one there out of respect for Fred Pabst's roll in Bromley's history, when I'm at Glenn's place or when Vcunning is in charge of getting beers from the cart girl during charity golf tournaments! :)

dlague

There's nothing nostalgic about PBR except marketing.

Or lack there of! They stopped marketing themselves and the hipsters jumped all over it like it was something they discovered but they actually drank it because they were not in your face marketing and in the end sales sky rocketed.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

wa-loaf

Or lack there of! They stopped marketing themselves and the hipsters jumped all over it like it was something they discovered but they actually drank it because they were not in your face marketing and in the end sales sky rocketed.

Just because there is no TV or print advertising doesn't mean there wasn't marketing. Before the hipsters picked it up they really pushed into bars and started offering it as specials all over the place really cheap.

ctenidae

I had a meeting several years ago with the guy who ran the private equity shop that "owned" PBR (I know, the charitable trust actually owned it, but they couldn't/didn't do much with it, and the guy was connected to them somehow, so his firm handled contracting production, etc etc. Details less important, and I can't remember the guy's name anyway, and am not going to go back through my notes to check). They also owned Schaefer, Strohs, and a few others like that (Olympia, too, maybe?). Anyway, they were very pleased with how PBR had turned out, but were saddened, though not surprised, that the others hadn't enjoyed the same success. I commented something to the effect that it wasn't surprising, since they suck ass, and he agreed. Didn't stop PBR's success, but maybe it's not quite as nasty.

PBR's not all that good, but it's not terrible. Given a variety of other options, I'd be unlikely to choose a PBR. Given options where PBR was the best, I'd probably not have a beer.

steamboat1

Wasn't sure whether to put this here in the PBR thread or in the bacon thread. This is actually happening today.

PBR Tournament Events TODAY
We're celebrating the start of the 2014 PBR Tournament today at two locations in New England!

Join us today from 1-4pm at Poor People's Pub in Block Island! We'll have plenty of swag and giveaways for all that attend the 1st Annual Block Island Bacon Festival! Come meet & greet fellow fisherman and conservation enthusiasts as we toast to Summer, Fishing, and Bacon!!

If you're on the Cape join us from 4-6pm at Trader Ed's at Hyannis Marina in Hyannis for great food and lots of PBR!

Cannonball

Nice spontaneous hike this evening (see Hiking in Flip Flops thread). Enjoyed a PBR Along the way. Love the new can concept.

Attachments

• 1401584406833.jpg
    1401584406833.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 56
  • 1401584443661.jpg
    1401584443661.jpg
    57.2 KB · Views: 57

xwhaler

Boating with the family and enjoying a PBR

Attachments

• 1401636082603.jpg
    1401636082603.jpg