Looking at Kayaks - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    I would avoid Tandems. They generally track poorly in the least amount of wind. As others have noted, singles give more flexibility. .

TANSTAAFL

Quote Originally Posted by Skimaine View Post
    I would avoid Tandems. They generally track poorly in the least amount of wind. As others have noted, singles give more flexibility. .
    Ya others have noted that. We have rented a tandem on other occasions but we were in a bay on a calm day.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

I absolutely love my Heritage Featherlite. It may not be what you are looking for because it's not great for surf. But it's the most stable and rugged kayak I've had. So easy to get in and out of, even in challenging situations (steep banks, boat-to-boat, etc)

Just in from a nice river paddle...
    Attached Images Attached Images

I just started looking at recreational kayaks myself. I am surprised at how difficult it is to find any on sale. I though Sierra Trading Post would be a good bet, but it seems like all their discount codes exclude kayaks.

What is the secret to finding a good deal?

I'm thinking that a 12 ft sit-in recreational kayak is the way to go. I actually really like the 14 ft Wilderness Tsunami but don't want to pay the premium if I'm not going into open water.

Can anyone speak to the advantages of a 10 ft vs 12 ft kayak for recreational flat water? I'd call myself advanced beginner. Up to this point I've spent about 6 days per year on the water, but am looking to get out more often near home to kill time.

What am I missing about the Pelican Summit 120X? The price seems entirely too reasonable for a boat of the size.
    http://www.westmarine.com/rotomold-k...ayak--15106909

I'm looking for a recreational kayak for lake and rivers near home in southern New England. I'm assuming that any recreational kayak is workable to take fishing on occasion. I'll probably just rent when I'm in North Conway because I know of places to get a shuttled rental deal at a price that makes it not worth it to lug a boat.
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    I just started looking at recreational kayaks myself. I am surprised at how difficult it is to find any on sale. I though Sierra Trading Post would be a good bet, but it seems like all their discount codes exclude kayaks.

What is the secret to finding a good deal?

I'm thinking that a 12 ft sit-in recreational kayak is the way to go. I actually really like the 14 ft Wilderness Tsunami but don't want to pay the premium if I'm not going into open water.

Can anyone speak to the advantages of a 10 ft vs 12 ft kayak for recreational flat water? I'd call myself advanced beginner. Up to this point I've spent about 6 days per year on the water, but am looking to get out more often near home to kill time.

What am I missing about the Pelican Summit 120X? The price seems entirely too reasonable for a boat of the size.
    http://www.westmarine.com/rotomold-k...ayak--15106909

I'm looking for a recreational kayak for lake and rivers near home in southern New England. I'm assuming that any recreational kayak is workable to take fishing on occasion. I'll probably just rent when I'm in North Conway because I know of places to get a shuttled rental deal at a price that makes it not worth it to lug a boat.
    What am I missing about the Pelican Summit 120X? This kayak is made with two molded pieces that are then glued together. I was told that after a few years being exposed to the elements they tend to come apart.

Can anyone speak to the advantages of a 10 ft vs 12 ft kayak for recreational flat water? The shorter the kayak the more it tends to weave on each paddle stroke, where as, the longer kayak will track better and will be faster. Once you get into 12 ft kayaks you can also get into rudder attachments that help with tracking. In fact the Wilderness model you mention above, comes with one that is foot controlled.

If you plan on kayaking narrow channels or smaller rivers, then getting too long of a kayak can be detrimental. However, for longer day trips the longer kayaks are beneficial. Shorter kayaks are better suited for shorter tips, surf, and narrow channels or smaller rivers.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

My old boss at my last employer used to fish a lot from his kayak.

I've only done it twice. once on a sit-in and once on a SOT. I don'tr eally remember one being preferable to the other, at least for just boring putzing around.

I'd like one too but I'm running out of storage space at the house with all this kids stuff. Plus, I just don't have time to take on yet another hobby!!
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    Can anyone speak to the advantages of a 10 ft vs 12 ft kayak for recreational flat water? I
    About 6-10 lbs.

Plus everything dlague said above.

I tend to paddle tight, overgrown, narrow rivers here in SE Mass. Entry points are often headwalls, steep embankments, sketchy ramps, marshes, etc. Solo portages in heavy brush aren't uncommon. And I get in and out a lot. For any/all of those scenarios a lighter, shorter, more durable boat makes a huge difference. If you are planning to paddle lakes and open rivers where you can drive close to the water's edge, I would recommend going with the longer boat. It will track better and be more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by Cannonball View Post
    I absolutely love my Heritage Featherlite. It may not be what you are looking for because it's not great for surf. But it's the most stable and rugged kayak I've had. So easy to get in and out of, even in challenging situations (steep banks, boat-to-boat, etc)

Just in from a nice river paddle...
    That was a cool pic!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

LL Bean outlet has 20% off of already the already 15% discounted prices. Unfortunately 80% of what the have in stock are women's Calypso kayaks.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

The Heritage boat was the mainstay of the fleet when I was leading rec kayak tours. They took a LOT of abuse over the years. They had a stern bulkhead compartment and bow flotation pillar, something many entry level rec boats lack. Stable and tracked well, but keep in mind that there are always folks who complain about a boat's tracking - with these, it was usually due to operator error!

Thread Information