Looking at Kayaks - Page 4

AlpineZone

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Think any additional length might possibly offer a little more stability(initial and stability when leaned more) as well as potential straight ahead efficiency...but realize, as mentioned in previous responses, that the less expensive recreational boats' hull designs aren't made with much help in stability. High % of troubles with straight ahead travel is often from a lack of operator skill...Duh, nothing new said...but $.01,

Last edited by bigbog; May 10, 2014 at 9:45 AM.
    SteveD

I noticed that your original post included “light coastal paddling” If this is still the case you shouldn’t be looking at anything under 14 feet. Most short recreational kayaks lack the ability to get back into them if you go over, their cockpits are submerged when filled. If you are out in a bay with even small waves you will most likely have to swim your boat to shore to empty it and get back in. This can become very dangerous. Sea or touring kayaks have enough flotation that the cockpit will still be above the waterline when filled with water so you can either bail it out or flip it over emptying the water then flip it back upright and climb back in.

Another thing to consider is initial vs secondary stability. Wide short boats have great initial stability but awful second stability when underway. I have many friends who mistakenly bought a wide kayak because it was less tippy to get into but the boats are extremely slow and not stable when underway. A few had to sell their boats and get a narrower and longer kayak.

If you are going to go out into salt water I’d recommend taking a beginning kayak course at a place like the Kayak Centre in Wickford RI.
    If you’re just going to be messing around small inland ponds and small lakes then the short recreational boat may be fine. Just don’t try to bring it out in the ocean.

The forums at www.paddling.net have great information
    Last edited by mlctvt; May 9, 2014 at 10:57 AM.

Off the CT coast last week. These guys are good!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z9JHntIAl9w

Quote Originally Posted by mlctvt View Post

I noticed that your original post included “light coastal paddling” If this is still the case you shouldn’t be looking at anything under 14 feet. Most short recreational kayaks lack the ability to get back into them if you go over, their cockpits are submerged when filled. If you are out in a bay with even small waves you will most likely have to swim your boat to shore to empty it and get back in. This can become very dangerous. Sea or touring kayaks have enough flotation that the cockpit will still be above the waterline when filled with water so you can either bail it out or flip it over emptying the water then flip it back upright and climb back in.

Another thing to consider is initial vs secondary stability. Wide short boats have great initial stability but awful second stability when underway. I have many friends who mistakenly bought a wide kayak because it was less tippy to get into but the boats are extremely slow and not stable when underway. A few had to sell their boats and get a narrower and longer kayak.

If you are going to go out into salt water I’d recommend taking a beginning kayak course at a place like the Kayak Centre in Wickford RI.
    If you’re just going to be messing around small inland ponds and small lakes then the short recreational boat may be fine. Just don’t try to bring it out in the ocean.

The forums at www.paddling.net have great information
    I would not take a SI Kayak out into the ocean. I would prefer a SOT which is what we are now looking at. The surf off Rye, NH coast is not that far out.
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Off the CT coast last week. These guys are good!

https://www.youtube.com/embed/Z9JHntIAl9w
    They are using a hybrid kayak that does not have the traditional cockpit. In fact it is a cross between and kayak, and a canoe!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Quote Originally Posted by dlague View Post
    They are using a hybrid kayak that does not have the traditional cockpit. In fact it is a cross between and kayak, and a canoe!
    Only the guy with the camera, he was trying out a new model surf-ski , All of the others are in traditional sit in sea kayaks, scroll to the end to see some other kayaks

All of these guys are incredible rollers though, I wouldn't try this much surf until I was a expert roller

I have a small featherlight which is great for poking around is small rivers and I use all the time in harbors where I anchor or moor my boat. However, the small boat requires more paddling to keep up with a longer kayak so is not great for long trips. I rent SOT kayaks for playing in the surf and it is a lot of fun, but I prefer a sit in for excursions, I have been out in some pretty good chop in mine and was OK but it was a bit scary and it was a shortish paddle.

Also, I got mine off of Craigslist and I save a few hundred bucks on it vs. buying one new. If I was a serious kayaker I would get a longer fiberglass boat with a skirt.
    Last edited by crank; May 10, 2014 at 9:16 AM.
    form is a 4 letter word

.......All of these guys are incredible rollers.....
    +1
    With well-seasoned balance and a lot of paddling time well spent....same as the freshwater VT guys(shown earlier)...
    The video is good paddling with SI kayaks, but really there's nothing great in their paddling. Tons of really good touring-boat(ie non-WW) kayakers(normal SI) do the coastal scene just off CT, Mass, NH, and Maine.
    There is where anyone looking to get into paddling the surfzone should take lessons or trips or something that's offered from the coastal kayaking companies, all with excellent paddlers in the know as to how to see errors and teach, much the same as a ski instructor.
    Last edited by bigbog; May 16, 2014 at 1:27 PM.
    SteveD

I ended up buying his and her kayaks from LL Bean. They were already discounted at the outlet stores, plus they have an additional 20% sale on boats, plus you can save another 15% if you sell your soul and get their credit card. I'm never taken a store credit card like this, but did it to save about $200.

I ended up getting:
    12' Manatee (inc. paddle and cockpit cover)
    10' Manatee Angler (inc. paddle, anchor, cockpit cover)
    NRS boating gloves
    Two paddling PFD's

Grand total out the door: $843.17

The real adventure started on the way home when one of the kayaks flew off the roof. FML. Since I bought from LL Bean and they guarantee everything, they are shipping me a new kayak for free. Moral of the story: always buy from LL Bean. They have just earned themselves a loyal customer.
    2016-2017: 79 days
    2015-2016: 54 days
    2014-2015: 63 days
    2013-2014: 68 days

Quiver: 2014 Liberty Sequence (182 cm), 2014 K2 Rictor 82 XTi (177 cm), 2015 Nordica NRGY 100 (177 cm), 2016 Head Monster 88 (177 cm), 2017 Voelkl Racetiger SL (165 cm), 2017 Nordica Enforcer 93 (193 cm), 2017 Revision Subtraction (194 cm)

Quote Originally Posted by yeggous View Post
    The real adventure started on the way home when one of the kayaks flew off the roof.
    Always wondered about that? I have seen some really shaky setups on top of cars and trucks. We almost lost 2 surf boards last summer because I trusted my kids! Imagine being a car behind that situation - mayhem!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

Thread Information