• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Looking at Kayaks

dlague

I am looking at getting two kayaks. We live near lakes and rivers where they could be used. But we are actually interested in riding surf along the coast and doing some light coastal kayaking.

My first thought is to get a SOT kayak - easy to bail on and get back up on especially if riding surf. They are also fairly stable and self draining. I do realize that you get more water on you with these but I never have to worry about cockpits filling up on roll overs. I also do not expect to do any long distance touring - typically 2-3 hours max.

Few I have looked at:

Ocean Kayak Frenzy
Sun Dolphin Bali
Cobra Strike
Dagger Kaos

Any thoughts pro or con are appreciated!

Hawkshot99

I have a Frenzy and love it. It is great for surf use. I have no problems flipping off and climbing back on it.
Prior to this I had a sit in that I would surf in. Unless you are real good at rolling, it gets real old real fast swimming it to shore and draining it.

I am not familar with the other ones you posted, but I would make sure it has a nice pointy front, rather than a blunt nose. I had rented a sit on top that had a less pointy tip. It was not as good at slicing through the surf when paddling out.

Sent from my SGH-S959G using Tapatalk 2

amf

One thing to be aware of with SOT's is they are very good at catching the wind and can become difficult to maneuver, particularly the shorter ones. I've towed more than one SOT where a calm day suddenly turned blustery and they could not get back to shore. Point being, know their limitations and keep within them. They can be fun in the surf!

bigbog

+1
I'd just go demo both SOT and Sit-In, wherever, as much as possible....
Volume keeps one on top(duh), but a bit too little and a small volume bow can noseplant you when fighting the undertow from in tight against big waves. Might've just been my lack of experience/control....but fwiw..

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
LL Bean actually has some good prices! Thanks!

I think I saw 20% off this weekend, which is a VERY good sale. You want to act quickly though because they will sell out very fast. Boats used to NEVER go on sale except in December for rentals or blems.

bigbog

Fwiw...might wanna check out KitteryTradingPost's prices....and MountainManOutdoors's OldForge and Saratoga stores are having PaddleFests sometime. Easy to check out online. I know the OldForge(NY) one is later in May....with Saratoga's around the corner...

Bumpsis

I am looking at getting two kayaks. We live near lakes and rivers where they could be used. But we are actually interested in riding surf along the coast and doing some light coastal kayaking.
!

Whichever kayak you'll end up choosing, if and when riding waves, be sure to familiarize yourself with wave surfing rules, especially if you find yourself riding a break where there are surfers and bodyboarders riding the same break. Truth be told, kayaks and surfboards don't really "mix" well when sharing a break and there are safety issues that can come up.

Most of the time, if there is surf to be had, you'll have company so it's really important to know the rules that govern who has the right of way and how to act properly in the line up and once you're on the wave.

The surboard riding crowd tends to be a bit weary of "yakers" because comparatively speaking, kayaks tend to be a bit less maneuverable in the waves than surfboards and bodyboards, so having to deal with a kayak or SUP in the lineup can make people nervous. Actually, the same holds true for longboarders. In the end it all comes down to level of skill and control over whatever you're riding and proving to the group that you're know what you're doing.

Some of the best and most nimble kayakers that I've seen were actually people that were riding sit-in white water boats. They obviously were very comfortable in fast moving water and had really good control over their boats. And even those guys get a bit of an "attitude" from the line up.

The sit on top kayak can be a lot of fun in the surf, I'm sure (never been on one), but keep in mind that something that will be swift and easier to move in breaking surf, probably will be less fun when trying to cover some distance. The reverse goes for boats that track well in straight lines. They will be less nimble when trying to ride a breaking wave. So it ends up being a bit of a choice as to what you see yourself doing more.

dlague

Whichever kayak you'll end up choosing, if and when riding waves, be sure to familiarize yourself with wave surfing rules, especially if you find yourself riding a break where there are surfers and bodyboarders riding the same break. Truth be told, kayaks and surfboards don't really "mix" well when sharing a break and there are safety issues that can come up.

Most of the time, if there is surf to be had, you'll have company so it's really important to know the rules that govern who has the right of way and how to act properly in the line up and once you're on the wave.

The surboard riding crowd tends to be a bit weary of "yakers" because comparatively speaking, kayaks tend to be a bit less maneuverable in the waves than surfboards and bodyboards, so having to deal with a kayak or SUP in the lineup can make people nervous. Actually, the same holds true for longboarders. In the end it all comes down to level of skill and control over whatever you're riding and proving to the group that you're know what you're doing.

Some of the best and most nimble kayakers that I've seen were actually people that were riding sit-in white water boats. They obviously were very comfortable in fast moving water and had really good control over their boats. And even those guys get a bit of an "attitude" from the line up.

The sit on top kayak can be a lot of fun in the surf, I'm sure (never been on one), but keep in mind that something that will be swift and easier to move in breaking surf, probably will be less fun when trying to cover some distance. The reverse goes for boats that track well in straight lines. They will be less nimble when trying to ride a breaking wave. So it ends up being a bit of a choice as to what you see yourself doing more.

We surf as well on longboards (just not nimble enough or even good enough to do otherwise)! I find that while we have a tendency to go straight, surfers with shorter boards get squirrelly in some case on purpose and others not so much. We have a tendency to stray away for high surf density and when it comes to kayaking of surf, I do not plan on doing that around surfers because I would not want that either. In fact, I often see a tension between surfers and body boarders as well!

We do not really plan on long distance trips!

Bumpsis

We surf as well on longboards (just not nimble enough or even good enough to do otherwise)! I find that while we have a tendency to go straight, surfers with shorter boards get squirrelly in some case on purpose and others not so much. We have a tendency to stray away for high surf density and when it comes to kayaking of surf, I do not plan on doing that around surfers because I would not want that either. In fact, I often see a tension between surfers and body boarders as well!

We do not really plan on long distance trips!

That's cool that you have longboaring experience so you know what the wave scene can be like. Although here in NE, I've never really encountered trully unpleasant attiudes in the line up.

As a bodyboarder I do get the occasional hairy eyeball in the lineup or some hotshot kid on a shortboard will drop in on my wave, but otherwise, no localism or other surfer superiority complex related stuff.

I also tend to avoid crowded lineups when the surf is high, plus the places that I go to have plenty of breaks where people can spread out to. Glad to hear that you do the same.
Enjoy your boat once you get it and hope you catch a lot of waves.

dlague

That's cool that you have longboaring experience so you know what the wave scene can be like. Although here in NE, I've never really encountered trully unpleasant attiudes in the line up.

As a bodyboarder I do get the occasional hairy eyeball in the lineup or some hotshot kid on a shortboard will drop in on my wave, but otherwise, no localism or other surfer superiority complex related stuff.

I also tend to avoid crowded lineups when the surf is high, plus the places that I go to have plenty of breaks where people can spread out to. Glad to hear that you do the same.
Enjoy your boat once you get it and hope you catch a lot of waves.

Attitude Bodyboarding vs Surfing was mainly along National Seashore on the Cape.

dlague

So did you get something from LLB?

It was an internet only deal and they were charging $60 each for over sized shipping. My wife didn't want to pull the trigger just yet. She likes the idea of getting a tandem SOT or two singles but not sure about the type of kayaking she thinks she will like. She wants to rent two singles and then a tandem to get a feel for it. Looking like an end of May decision!

For now new golf clubs!

thetrailboss

Staff member
Tandem vs Singles: go singles. The reason why is that you can't use a tandem as a single very easily. And I say that because on many occasions my wife (and previous ex) would not want to go with me so having my own boat allowed me to go.

bigbog

It was an internet only deal and they were charging $60 each for over sized shipping. My wife didn't want to pull the trigger just yet. She likes the idea of getting a tandem SOT or two singles but not sure about the type of kayaking she thinks she will like. She wants to rent two singles and then a tandem to get a feel for it. Looking like an end of May decision!

For now new golf clubs!

I you never had much experience hitting a golfball, chances are..one might not choose what would give you a few years+ fun on the golfcourse.....the same goes for watercraft..even moreso, particularly kayaks or canoes...where balance & paddling skills are the things that give one freedom....
Think the renting sounds good...anything in the early spring...is often a good way to go, and keep in mind those MountainManOutdoors Paddlefests...granted they're in upstate NY, a bit of a drive, but well worth it, and a lot of fun in trying what the companies are pumping.
$.01`

dlague

I you never had much experience hitting a golfball, chances are..one might not choose what would give you a few years+ fun on the golfcourse.....the same goes for watercraft..even moreso, particularly kayaks or canoes...where balance & paddling skills are the things that give one freedom....
Think the renting sounds good...anything in the early spring...is often a good way to go, and keep in mind those MountainManOutdoors Paddlefests...granted they're in upstate NY, a bit of a drive, but well worth it, and a lot of fun in trying what the companies are pumping.
$.01`

We are going to rent over the month of May then decide.