• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Whaleback Off-Season News

xwhaler

Gotcha.....I knew they were having issues with the groomer as it was partially broken when I was up there late January.
Sunday could be warmer and sunny so hopefully the snow softens and they have a nice closing wknd.
Keep us posted through the off season with any info you learn.
Mtn has a great community vibe with terrain that challenges any sub 1k vert mtn in New England.

Newpylong

Still a long ways off but NOAA says Sunny both days 35-40 degrees, crossing my fingers to go for a bit Sunday to send them off.

Thankfully this season was blessed with great natural snow - otherwise it has been a complete disaster for them. Closed Christmas, marginal conditions over MLK, arctic temps over February break. I am sure they are happy to look at it in the rear view mirror. We are indeed pulling for them and doing everything we can to raise money. Time will tell what they can even do besides maintenance and the Spout light project this off season.

xwhaler

If it does get into the upper 30's with sun I will most likely be there Saturday. Had planned on Black NH but too far to drive for limited vert off their triple.
Would love to get some spring turns in at Whaleback.
Last website update had them at down to 18 trails on Saturday. Was that due to lack of coverage or unskiable conditions on the natural runs?
If Blowhole/Jawbone/Jonahs/Face could turn soft in the warmish March sun it would be pretty sweet.

Newpylong

I hung the two planks up a couple weeks ago and have been boarding since then, and I don't have the balls to venture on any of those yet so I can't offer definitive answers. Face had the rocks showing skier's left on the headwall but seemed to have good coverage besides that. As for the other natural 3 if I had to place money I would say they are toast as we did lose a lot of coverage last week in only a few days.