• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Nordica Hell and Back ........considering these skis.....size?

mishka

then it's a good question how factory determine what is Marked position?

I assuming you never tried to experiment with range of +2 --2cm from the mark?

All my factory made skis have demo bindings and on ALL of them I moved my position +2 to 3 cm even purchased new Fisher watea94( now for sale obviously) I bought new marker griffon demo so position can be adjusted I simply couldn't skis them on first day at neutral position.

I'm not saying there is significant difference.... it might be no difference at all for someone. For me there are noticeable difference in ski performance.
I think with binding position skier should have choice to experiment and factory marked spot should be more in line of guidelines not the rules

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm sure there's some merit to experimenting with binding position. I've never owned a set of demo bindings to give it a shot and truthfully have only demo'd a few skis over the years and I never really gave much thought to moving the binding position.

Might be something to consider when I'm in need of purchasing bindings again some day. I just can't justify the expense right now when I've got a set of 10 days used $300 bindings that have basically been collecting dust for three years.

Cannonball

then it's a good question how factory determine what is Marked position?

I assuming you never tried to experiment with range of +2 --2cm from the mark?

All my factory made skis have demo bindings and on ALL of them I moved my position +2 to 3 cm even purchased new Fisher watea94( now for sale obviously) I bought new marker griffon demo so position can be adjusted I simply couldn't skis them on first day at neutral position.

I'm not saying there is significant difference.... it might be no difference at all for someone. For me there are noticeable difference in ski performance.
I think with binding position skier should have choice to experiment and factory marked spot should be more in line of guidelines not the rules

Yes, factory marked spot is absolutely a guideline and not a rule. There are a million ski forum threads about where to mount your bindings on a particular model of skis. Mostly it comes down to the type of skier you are and what you want to do with your skis. But moving your bindings 1 to 2cm every time the conditions change is pretty much irrelevant and WAY more trouble than most people want to deal with.

If someone is that sensitive to their ski performance in different conditions they are more likely to have a 2nd (or 3rd, or 4th) pair of skis than they are to move their binding a few cm. Why move a binding 2cm on a powder ski to better handle groomers, when you'd have a much better result by just switching to a groomer ski?

This discussion just made me think of a great new gimmick to sell....Ski Extenders!! These would be little caps you could put on your tips to make your skis longer or shorter based on conditions. "Are the glades closed and you are stuck on the groomers? Wishing you had a longer ski? Add Ski Extenders© and turn those 179s into 182s. The ladies will love your extra length and you will feel the performance in ever turn!"
note: Ski Extenders© have not been tested by the PSIA and have not been shown to have any tangible impact on your actual ski performance or the impression of 'the ladies'

JDMRoma

I had the Griffon Schizo's on my Gotama's and Soul 7s, Had both skis mounted in the "0" position and rode both skis in the +10 position. the Schizo adjusts +30 forward from center and -30. I didn't really play too much but did run the Gotama's at -10 and they felt a little squirrel-ly at speed....but could have been the -10 and the full rocker ski.

So I guess I'm in the camp of......mounting position does make a difference and its nice to be able to adjust.Although I wouldn't see myself changing it per run, maybe by the day :0

Just my $.02

mishka

So I guess I'm in the camp of......mounting position does make a difference and its nice to be able to adjust.Although I wouldn't see myself changing it per run, maybe by the day :0

Just my $.02

that's exactly my point. Good option to have.

I didn't know how often adjustment need to be done. In my personal experience, this season on MR86, I did only twice first day on them in October and last Friday..... First time needed to go back on binding position.

deadheadskier

Staff member
You know, somewhat of a similar discussion is ski flex adjusting bindings. My daily drivers the past three years have been Fischer Motive 84 that has an integrated binding with three flex adjustments that are definitely noticeable with the ski. I ski the medium/neutral flex 75% of the time, but on hard snow days when I know I won't be skiing any bumps, I crank it to the stiff setting. Spring time or after storms when I know bumps will be much more prevalent, I adjust them to the soft setting. For me, the difference in the skis performance across the three flex settings is very noticeable.

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
Absolutely love them. Great edge hold for a ski its size, quick edge to edge for the size as well. Bust through crud great. A little cumbersome in the bumps, but that's to be expected for a 107 waist ski.

prsboogie

This discussion just made me think of a great new gimmick to sell....Ski Extenders!! These would be little caps you could put on your tips to make your skis longer or shorter based on conditions. "Are the glades closed and you are stuck on the groomers? Wishing you had a longer ski? Add Ski Extenders© and turn those 179s into 182s. The ladies will love your extra length and you will feel the performance in ever turn!"
note: Ski Extenders© have not been tested by the PSIA and have not been shown to have any tangible impact on your actual ski performance or the impression of 'the ladies'

Wow that just made me laugh!!

Scruffy

Absolutely love them. Great edge hold for a ski its size, quick edge to edge for the size as well. Bust through crud great. A little cumbersome in the bumps, but that's to be expected for a 107 waist ski.

Cool ... thanks for the reply. Should be good out west in big soft bumps. You got 177?

Last edited: