• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

A-basin 5/8

skiNEwhere

So last night the forecast called for 4-7 inches overnight at the ski area, and my house as well. I was hoping for a pow day today but the weathermen were wrong! I had a dusting at my house, and a-basin had MAYBE an inch, at the very very top. So you couldn't even really call it dust on crust. The sun didn't really come out today, and the high for the day at the bottom was 37, at the top it was never above freezing.

I did read their forecast first, so I decided to hold out until 1 to let the ice get broken down. I'm glad I did because the conditions weren't TOO bad, considering. The bumps on ramrod were great! I guess the sun have peeked out enough and skier traffic was able to break down the ice. Considering these bumps aren't seeded, the had pretty good form.

I did ski in the Zuma bowl as well. It was crusty and made for a challenge, but no complaints!

I then stuck around the Pali lift for the rest of the day. The bumps were ok, not overly icy, but not soft like you'd expect either.

The east wall was closed, I'm not sure if it is closed for the year, or just closed today since it was probably all ice.

I have to say I'm a little surprised. I skied here on May 9th last year, when we had less snow, but today there were more bald spots. Maybe the wind played a factor, not sure

View of the east wall
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399605844.488743.jpg

Zuma bowl with keystone in the background
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399605928.676759.jpg

Above groswold I think
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399606000.195995.jpg

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399606058.613138.jpg

4th alley. In the background you can see a swath of trees that were knocked out by an avalanche a few months ago
ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1399606097.980820.jpg

Last edited:

dlague

Nice that you still had a taste of winter! To bad about the bad forecast but hey you got some god turns in.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

skiNEwhere

Nice that you still had a taste of winter! To bad about the bad forecast but hey you got some god turns in.

At this point of the year, ANY skiing is good skiing, so no complaints :)

There are rough forecasts for 6-10 Saturday, I'm hoping this forecast is more accurate

Cornhead

At this point of the year, ANY skiing is good skiing, so no complaints :)

There are rough forecasts for 6-10 Saturday, I'm hoping this forecast is more accurate

Me too, my Son and I will be there Sunday, trying to get my friggin rental car, I thought Enterprise would pick me up, but I'm too far away, 13 miles.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Cornhead

Looks like the forecast has changed yet again, no big dump Saturday night now, storm pushed towards Sunday, Monday will be the pow day.
http://opensnow.com/location/arapahoebasin
Too bad, Sunday is the only day my Son can board.

ScottySkis

420 samples while your out their where it is legal,you must try it Cornhead if you havent already.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Looks like the forecast has changed yet again, no big dump Saturday night now, storm pushed towards Sunday, Monday will be the pow day.
http://opensnow.com/location/arapahoebasin
Too bad, Sunday is the only day my Son can board.

You know what they say, Cornhead...No friends on a Powder day. Lol.

Enjoy the time with your son. It's mid May, whatever you get is icing on the cake of a great season.

Cornhead

Did you ski today cornhead?

Yep, twas incredible, especially for May 11th, you'd never know it, snowed all day, windy with near zero visibility up top. More snow tonight, back tomorrow, staying at Alpine Slope motel, just down the road at Keystone, cheap off season rate $59+ tax, for two queen beds.

skiNEwhere

Hope you were staying in keystone. It took me 30 minutes to get from exit 217 to exit 216 on I-70.

I was gonna ski a basin as well but my I got a call last minute from a friend of mine wanting to ski Loveland pass

Cornhead

Hope you were staying in keystone. It took me 30 minutes to get from exit 217 to exit 216 on I-70.

I was gonna ski a basin as well but my I got a call last minute from a friend of mine wanting to ski Loveland pass

We came from Boulder, left at 6:15, arrived at 8:30, didn't take the pass, people with racks were exiting 70 for the pass. The roads were generally clear, a little slushy, traffic was light. I did hear the pass was closed around one o'clock.

Just took a couple pics, visibility was bad, got vertigo a couple times. We spent most of our time skiing the Montezuma bowl. I took the Palli chair my last run of the day, looks like some great terrain there too.
View attachment 12594
View attachment 12595
View attachment 12596
View attachment 12597
View attachment 12598

I'm curious to see how much snow they get tonight. I've seen forecasts ranging from 3-30", the most snow is supposed to fall on the East side of the divide, A Basin is on the West, so we shall see.

Lots of big smiles on the mountain today, nice turnout too. I told a couple people on lift rides the story of transporting my Son's cat from NY, I said I believed the snow was a case of "cat karma", rewarding me for my good deed.

ScottySkis

rSnow in Mid May powder, legal MJ great cheap homes have fun out their Cornhrmead why do i live in NY again oh family .