• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2014-15 Edition

mig_lepuy

Are you friggin kidding me? They have raised over $125,000 for Children's Hospital at Dartmouth. Do you think Chad lets them use the logo for the fun of it? The owner takes no salary, everyone that works with him are volunteers. Yes there are expenses that need to get paid for such as mailings, website, advertising, ski show, etc.

That is a irresponsible statement!

I dunno, it pays to be a little suspicious about these things. On the RSNE website it only says "A portion of the purchase price of THE Ride & Ski Card benefits the Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth, NH." There's nothing specific. It would be nice if they said "last year 10% of proceeds went to the hospital." If they're donating serious money, they should say so.

dlague

I dunno, it pays to be a little suspicious about these things. On the RSNE website it only says "A portion of the purchase price of THE Ride & Ski Card benefits the Children’s Hospital at Dartmouth, NH." There's nothing specific. It would be nice if they said "last year 10% of proceeds went to the hospital." If they're donating serious money, they should say so.

There is much more to it than that since the tour has a party associated with it as well and there are raffles on stuff provided by sponsors, there are benefit events at the ski show, etc. He and his wife do a lot!

dlague

Express Card is on sale for $59

Veterans get it free which I might as well get! Not sure if I will ever use it but..... If i do it would be mid week! Made me think that I should get my wife a card and that would average out to $21 each since the midweek express card is $42. Go twice and it is $55 per visit. Hmmmmm!

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

mig_lepuy

If I remember correctly, it was more last year ($89?), but you got the free ticket (midweek only). I think...

skiNEwhere

This is a really good deal for anyone looking to visit CO.

For $299 you get unlimited unguided skiing at silverton mtn, half price standby heli-drops (like $90)

Also get 5 days EACH at
Arapahoe Basin
Taos
Monarch

http://silvertonmountain.com/page/goods/press/article&article_id=99

Even if you don't ski silveton, just using 10 out of those 15 days makes it worth it. Wish I caught this when it was only $199 :(

They will mail the pass to you if you have no intentions of skiing silverton

dlague

For $299 you get unlimited unguided skiing at silverton mtn, half price standby heli-drops (like $90)

Also get 5 days EACH at
Arapahoe Basin
Taos
Monarch

Even if you don't ski silveton, just using 10 out of those 15 days makes it worth it. Wish I caught this when it was only $199 :(

Shit! That is awesome!

BenedictGomez

Has anybody ever compiled a list of ski films that give out lift ticket vouchers?

Not sure how useful that would be. I just look at a circumference I don't mind traveling to and see what's offered at each venue before deciding where to pull the trigger. You need to do that because the giveaways can vary from pretty lame (an early or late season tic at Elk Mountain) to awesome (Full Gore ticket, Full Sugarbush tickets, plus a Jimimy BOGO).

Cornhead

Also get 5 days EACH at
Arapahoe Basin
Taos
Monarch

I'd be all over this if I hadn't bought an A-basin season's pass for 2014-2015. No regrets, I've already got 5 days on it, will do at least 1 more day there this Winter, and am hoping to make another visit late in the season. I think I get 1 day unguided at Silverton also, and 3 days at Taos. I thought there were a couple others, but I don't see them listed anymore.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

mbedle

If you click on this (http://www.skifederation.org/east.html) it gives you a list of the eastern councils that are part of the National Federation. Then click on the individual ski council to find a list of member clubs of those councils. The club I belong to is a member of both the Metropolitan Ski Council & the Ski/Snowboard Council of NJ. We get the same discounts whether they be ski council discount days or discount vouchers sold through the ski clubs to individual ski areas. Other discounts are the same also.

edit: the councils give out stickers every year you'll have to affix to your local ski club membership card to be valid. Some areas are very strict with this requirement. Sugarbush & Stowe are two areas I know for sure that are.

Steamboat - are you sure about this. I order my Stowe tickets through the Eastern PA Ski Council and got a stack of evolution cards in the mail. When I used the February Ski Club Days discount at Stowe, I remember showing my membership card to them, but don't remember any sticker on it for the Eastern PA Ski Council.

BenedictGomez

Steamboat - are you sure about this. I order my Stowe tickets through the Eastern PA Ski Council and got a stack of evolution cards in the mail. When I used the February Ski Club Days discount at Stowe, I remember showing my membership card to them, but don't remember any sticker on it for the Eastern PA Ski Council.

Sticker doesn't appear to be necessary according to the website, just needs to be a member of a council.

http://www.stowe.com/groups/council/

steamboat1

Is your membership card dated? Mine is not. It got to expensive for our club to issue new dated cards every year or two The only way they can tell I'm still an active member is with a current ski council sticker. I'm pretty sure Stowe checked when I used it for appreciation days & I'm absolutely positive Sugarbush checks when using ski club discount vouchers. I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's a long way to drive to find out your membership card won't be accepted. I get two stickers every year. One from the Metropolitan New York Ski Council & one from the Ski Council of New Jersey. Our club belongs to both councils.

mbedle

Is your membership card dated? Mine is not. It got to expensive for our club to issue new dated cards every year or two The only way they can tell I'm still an active member is with a current ski council sticker. I'm pretty sure Stowe checked when I used it for appreciation days & I'm absolutely positive Sugarbush checks when using ski club discount vouchers. I'd rather be safe than sorry. It's a long way to drive to find out your membership card won't be accepted.

I already throw out last year's card. But they issue us a new one every year and it has the date on it. Our cards are just paper with a signature from the president and I kind of remember seeing the EPASC logo on the card. That is most likely the reason. I also got the tickets inside the Mansfield Lodge, they seem a little more relaxed there.

steamboat1

I already throw out last year's card. But they issue us a new one every year and it has the date on it. Our cards are just paper with a signature from the president and I kind of remember seeing the EPASC logo on the card. That is most likely the reason. I also got the tickets inside the Mansfield Lodge, they seem a little more relaxed there.
Yeah we have nice laminated cards with a color picture of our lodge on the front. A little more expensive to produce than a piece of paper.

Yes I remember Mansfield being a little more lax than over at Spruce Camp.