• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Skiing on the Cheap - 2014-15 Edition

Jcb890

It's about 3 hours drive from SR to SB just about a straight shot on Route 2...just sayin. I've never skied Sugarbush (but near the top of my New England ski bucket list). I've skied SRiver in past years on last day & don't recall it being that "crazy"....Personally, I feel late season skiing @ SR is WAY better than early season skiing (with 1/2 trail) in terms of terrain, crowds on the slope, and lift lines. Given the current snow pack, I suspect the last day @ SR will be offering up more terrain than in years past, so crowds on the slope should be minimized. Crowds in the liftline would be expected, but traveling in the singles line would help. I would think most of Locke & Barker will be open on May 2nd.

Unfortunately I can't make a 2-day trip this weekend work, so I'll be day-tripping on Saturday to whichever mountain I decide to go to.

Now I'm trying to decide between Jay and Sunday River. Jay is about 15-20 minutes further, but that doesn't really matter. I want to go to whichever mountain is going to have the better conditions and better terrain available. I've never been to either mountain.

skiMEbike

Unfortunately I can't make a 2-day trip this weekend work, so I'll be day-tripping on Saturday to whichever mountain I decide to go to.

Now I'm trying to decide between Jay and Sunday River. Jay is about 15-20 minutes further, but that doesn't really matter. I want to go to whichever mountain is going to have the better conditions and better terrain available. I've never been to either mountain.

Hmmmmm....It doesn't appear that Jay has announced what lifts they plan to run. I haven't been to Jay this year, but considering last weeks snow I'd venture to say conditions are MUCH better & I'd think lots of glades are in play over there. SR is running only Barker (which for me is not overly exciting), and I am not sure the glades are in play any more. If you want glades, better snow, or less crowds, then go to Jay regardless of what lift(s) will be spinning. If you ski on-piste only, don't care about crowds, want to save a few bucks due to free ticket at SR , AND Jay plans to only spin the Jet, then and only then you might want to consider SRiver....Otherwise it is JAY ALL DAY !!

Wherever you end up it sounds like there will be good turns to be had at any mountain with snow !!

Jcb890

Hmmmmm....It doesn't appear that Jay has announced what lifts they plan to run. I haven't been to Jay this year, but considering last weeks snow I'd venture to say conditions are MUCH better & I'd think lots of glades are in play over there. SR is running only Barker (which for me is not overly exciting), and I am not sure the glades are in play any more. If you want glades, better snow, or less crowds, then go to Jay regardless of what lift(s) will be spinning. If you ski on-piste only, don't care about crowds, want to save a few bucks due to free ticket at SR , AND Jay plans to only spin the Jet, then and only then you might want to consider SRiver....Otherwise it is JAY ALL DAY !!

Wherever you end up it sounds like there will be good turns to be had at any mountain with snow !!

Their site is tough to get an update on lifts/trails since with them being closed during the week, they list everything as closed/not operating. I have been emailing Jay's customer service back and forth this morning and just asked about what will be open and how the conditions will be. When I receive a reply I will post back in here for anyone else who may be curious.

I'm always looking for nice wide-open glades like the ones you see at places like Baldface and other mountains out West. Does Jay have anything like this or are all of their glade runs/trails quite tight like most of the others in New England I have found? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!

EDIT - I have an update from Jay, though it isn't much of an update:

At this time, we unfortunately do not know what lifts/terrain will be open. Conditions have been good, some spots are typical spring skiing conditions, soft snow (slows your down a little) and warm weather, it is forecasted to be warm the rest of the week, which may or may not affect the terrain."

dlague

Their site is tough to get an update on lifts/trails since with them being closed during the week, they list everything as closed/not operating. I have been emailing Jay's customer service back and forth this morning and just asked about what will be open and how the conditions will be. When I receive a reply I will post back in here for anyone else who may be curious.

I'm always looking for nice wide-open glades like the ones you see at places like Baldface and other mountains out West. Does Jay have anything like this or are all of their glade runs/trails quite tight like most of the others in New England I have found? Maybe I'm looking in the wrong places!

EDIT - I have an update from Jay, though it isn't much of an update:

I have not seen ski areas actually report the weekend plans if they are closed mid week - more than likely they will shed some light on Friday. Heck, Wildcat is not even talking about the lift ticket price for this weekend yet.

On Jay Peaks FB Page:

Cover. Up.
The rumors are true. We are reopening the hill for this upcoming weekend of May 2nd & 3rd. After last chair Sunday, we’ll suspend mid-week operations again, and reevaluate conditions for a potential season finale on Mother's Day Weekend.

My wife is targeting Mother's Day!

Jcb890

I have not seen ski areas actually report the weekend plans if they are closed mid week - more than likely they will shed some light on Friday. Heck, Wildcat is not even talking about the lift ticket price for this weekend yet.

On Jay Peaks FB Page:

Nice! Next weekend is out for me since we'll be busy both days.

yeggous

On Jay Peaks FB Page:

Wildcat will be $39 this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

Wildcat will be $39 this weekend.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone mobile app

I got Liftopia tickets for Friday for my wife and son for $34 and I have the Express Pass (50% off window rate - $27). With Killington being about 30 minutes closer we went that route.

BTW I got an email from Liftopia stating that they had 54 more ticket left at $34 for Killington for Friday. $44 for Saturday and Sunday. Jay Peak on Liftopia is $33 for Saturday and $27 for Sunday.

Last edited:

steamboat1

I got Liftopia tickets for Friday for my wife and son for $34 and I have the Express Pass (50% off window rate - $27). With Killington being about 30 minutes closer we went that route.

BTW I got an email from Liftopia stating that they had 54 more ticket left at $34 for Killington for Friday. $44 for Saturday and Sunday. Jay Peak on Liftopia is $33 for Saturday and $27 for Sunday.
Doesn't your wife & son have season passes for Cannon? Killington lift tickets are 50% off weekdays with a pass/ticket from any other ski area.

Jcb890

Free Jay Peak voucher for the first AZ'er with 100 or more posts. PM me.

I just wanted to give billski a shout out for hooking me up with a free Jay Peak voucher! I had never been before and had an absolute blast. I am definitely a fan of Jay Peak and I already cannot wait to get up there next season!

Thanks again Bill!

I posted a Trip Report as well if anyone wants to check it out. Lacking in pictures though, sorry!

skiNEwhere

Doesn't your wife & son have season passes for Cannon? Killington lift tickets are 50% off weekdays with a pass/ticket from any other ski area.

You have a link to that which lists the stipulations? Not sure if they'll count the epic pass, or still consider Friday a weekday come the end of the month.

Smellytele

You have a link to that which lists the stipulations? Not sure if they'll count the epic pass, or still consider Friday a weekday come the end of the month.

[h=2]WORLD WIDE TICKET AND SEASON PASS SPECIAL[/h] [h=3]SAVE EVERY DAY APRIL 6, 2015 ‘TILL THE SNOW MELTS[/h]
Your local mountain may be closed but we’ve got the goods for spring skiing and riding. Present any lift ticket, season pass, discount card, or frequent skier card from any mountain at the ticket window and receive 50% one-day lift tickets midweek and 25% off one-day lift tickets weekends. If presenting a lift ticket, it will need to be surrendered to receive the deal. Killington lift tickets dated 4/6/2015 and later will not be accepted. Offer may not be combined with any other offer or pre-purchased lift ticket. Killington Season Passes and Express Cards may not be presented for discounts for friends/family.

http://www.killington.com/site/tickets/tickets_and_cards/special_offers

steamboat1

In the Killington 5/8 trip report on this site the OP stated this past Fri. tickets were still 50% off with a ticket/pass from another ski area. They were on a Fri.-Sun. only schedule last week so I'd say the answer is yes.
edit: full price ticket was $54.