K's Last Day 5/22/14 - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    It was interesting to say the least but fun and a great way to end the season

I was hoping to get there before they closed. I am not a fan of have to take skis off during a run and I would not wanted have wanted to pay what they were asking to ski. So My season ended with Jay Peak last weekend with much better coverage!

Cool that you got out there though and willing to drive so far for it!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

My my Cornhead, you sure do get around.

wow K lost all snow so quickly. Last weekend was wall-to-wall coverage. And still decent size pile on the top of a superstar. I thought they would load list two more weeks

Quote Originally Posted by Cornhead View Post
    This is the first time in the last three years I've had to down hike the headwall of Superstar. Did they blow less snow on it than previous years?
    Actually it seemed to me they blew more snow on the top of the headwall this year than in previous years. The mountain of snow up there was pretty high just a couple of weeks ago. The top of the headwall is notorious for usually being one of the first things to melt out. As for the rest of the trail I think it was pretty obvious they didn't blow as much snow as they had in previous years. K management even admitted to this by saying they blew their snowmaking budget early because they had to resurface the entire mountain several times because of weather events. There was no big snowmaking push in March on Superstar, upper/lower Skyelark & lower Bitter like they had done in previous years. This was obvious since they lost lower Skyelark pretty early which is normally not the case.

edit: Great season though!!!!
    Last edited by steamboat1; May 21, 2014 at 12:17 AM.

Sounds like a fun conclusion to the season. Wish I had the chance to make it to the Beast for one last weekend in May. All in all though, it was an outstanding season. Most days I had on the hill in ten years (62). Looking forward to some October turns!

Nice way to end the season. With all the snow the East Coast got this year I anticipated better coverage for a closing weekend, even though its a fairly late closing weekend.

We just took a trip to Colorado from Tahoe and were surprised at how much snow loss Vail has with a ton of coverage at Copper just over the ridge. Crazy where it stays and where it doesn't, eh?

Building a quiver is just foreplay for snowgasms

Quote Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
    With all the snow the East Coast got this year I anticipated better coverage for a closing weekend, even though its a fairly late closing weekend.
    It was a below average snowfall year this season for much of New England. Killington averages 250 per season. They got 196 this year. All areas were also starting from a zero inch natural snow base in late January. Everything got wiped out in the January warm up.

Quote Originally Posted by Trekchick View Post
    Nice way to end the season. With all the snow the East Coast got this year I anticipated better coverage for a closing weekend, even though its a fairly late closing weekend.

We just took a trip to Colorado from Tahoe and were surprised at how much snow loss Vail has with a ton of coverage at Copper just over the ridge. Crazy where it stays and where it doesn't, eh?
    Isn't the base of Copper right around the mid-mountain of Vail?

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    It was a below average snowfall year this season for much of New England. Killington averages 250 per season. They got 196 this year. All areas were also starting from a zero inch natural snow base in late January. Everything got wiped out in the January warm up.
    where i live it was the oppsiste we had the warm ups but we had some great snow storms. had more powdr fday rhis year then past 3 years combined. And i lost 3 weeks from mid early March to begining of April.

Thread Information