• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

deadheadskier

Staff member
There's not much left to cut in the Ravine. Hell, they really need to start planting some trees in certain areas.

deadheadskier

Staff member
From that picture it doesn't appear they will be expanding to the summit of Pinnacle; more the lower shoulder. That kind of stinks as the best pitch is up near the summit.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe my memory is foggy, but I thought the model they had in the discovery center by the lift shack showed the lift going to Pinnacles summit and saying it was 200 feet higher in elevation than Ragged proper.

canobie#1

They do. I'm not positive but I think they did say that there would be more vertical on pinnacle. I think that Pinnacle is really looking good. But I wonder if it's too flat?

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
If only Attitash would get the memo
The problem with Attitash is location. No one (as far as I know) has ever been able to make a profit on it. I've skied there enough to know that it is a great area but:
1. Its elevation is low, so it doesn't hold snow as well as most of the Whites.
2. To get there from the southwest requires driving past Waterville, Loon, Cannon and Bretton Woods; or from the southeast requires passing Cranmore - and then passing up Black and/or Wildcat to make the left instead of the right turn at Glen.

As best as I know, in the "ASC Fire Sale", Peak Resorts wanted Mt. Snow (which everybody has made money on), but it was packaged with Attitash. It will be interesting if Peak Resorts, who now owns Wildcat, is able to joint market Attitash and Wildcat in a way to make both profitable.

Peak did spend a good bit on Snowmaking at Attitash and IMO, if marketing can convince people to come there, it is one of the best three areas in NH as far as terrain is concerned.

Last edited:

canobie#1

Attitash has plenty of business to open a high speed. IMO with the exception of the right side of bear peak, attitash sucks. Way too many cut backs, flat spots and overall just a crappy mountain. Avenger, Illusion, wandering skis and broken arrow are the only trails that stand out to me. If they get a high speed, it would improve the place and their business.
Back to ragged, it's going to be a huge improvement for them and it's going to finally place them with the big boys.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I can't wrap my head around someone liking the terrain at Ragged over Attitash and I had a pass to Ragged for a couple seasons.

sull1102

As a Waterville regular up until a few years ago I must say Ragged could give WV a run for its money on a good day and that was with the Triple so I'm excited to see what this brings. The ride is so much shorter than say Loon or Cannon too even though those mountains both have it beat, Cannon by a mile with terrain.

joshua segal

Website
skikabbalah.com
Attitash has plenty of business to open a high speed. ...
Peak Resorts has limited resources and has enough high interest debt to make their IPO unattractive. They have to decide where they'll get the most bang for the buck in choosing where to invest those limited resources and (IMO) Attitash isn't the place. I think they will replace the "Sunbrook FG Quad" at Mt. Snow, long before you see them put a new HS-detachable at Attitash.