• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

deadheadskier

Staff member
I have read in the past about the possibility of a new trail between Showboat and the Not Too Shabby glade.

I'm wondering if any regrading of Showboat will happen with the new lift install. I think it would be worth their while to install a culvert across the width of the trail and bury the stream. It gets pretty narrow there at the bottom, which is fine with the number skiers on it in the past, but may not be with the added traffic from the new lift.

dlague

I have read in the past about the possibility of a new trail between Showboat and the Not Too Shabby glade.

I'm wondering if any regrading of Showboat will happen with the new lift install. I think it would be worth their while to install a culvert across the width of the trail and bury the stream. It gets pretty narrow there at the bottom, which is fine with the number skiers on it in the past, but may not be with the added traffic from the new lift.

I get what you mean about the run out section of showboat. That section gets scrapped off fast because people go sideways after building up speed going down the short steep there. Wish everyone would just get on edge and make the turns then it would not be so bad. I wish they would make the rest of that trail work like you said by adding a culvert pipe.

i typed with my i thumbs using AlpineZone

Abubob

Website
tee.pub

I get what you mean about the run out section of showboat. That section gets scrapped off fast because people go sideways after building up speed going down the short steep there. Wish everyone would just get on edge and make the turns then it would not be so bad. I wish they would make the rest of that trail work like you said by adding a culvert pipe.

That is a LOT of fill they would need. or a LOT of regrading. I admit it would be nice if they could do something without changing the fall-line too much. I have a photo somewhere showing how deep that little ravine is.

deadheadskier

Staff member
no doubt, it's very deep.

I think whatever cost they'd incur in the process of filling that Ravine, they'd recoup in reduced snowmaking expenditures opening the trail. They blow a crap load of snow right there.

dlague

no doubt, it's very deep.

I think whatever cost they'd incur in the process of filling that Ravine, they'd recoup in reduced snowmaking expenditures opening the trail. They blow a crap load of snow right there.

That's right! Take a look!

photo 4.JPG

Look how wide it could be!

photo 1.JPG

What happens at the bottom!

photo 2.JPG

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
This gives you a bit of an idea how deep that ravine is. This was taken where Rags to Riches and Not Too Shabby exits the woods. You look down at this and where the cat is where the snow bridge borders. So I could see adding a culvert over a portion of the width but not completely across.

Taken in Jan 2008
P1021624 by Bob Misu, on Flickr

deadheadskier

Staff member
The challenge with adding a tree line is getting them to grow while in the presence of snowmaking as trees don't tend to like it, especially immature trees. It's possible, but it would take a number of a years.

I'm guessing they won't due much over on Spear. I'd imagine Pinnacle is the big priority now that the HSQ is going in on Spear. If they market it heavily in the fall / early winter, they should realize a healthy bump skier visits / revenue.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm really happy to see them having success and going through with the improvements. It was home for two seasons. Hard to believe just 5 years ago I was buying a pass there for $299 and could show up at 9 on most Saturdays and get a parking spot less than 100 yards from the lodge.

I wonder once the Real Estate starts to come online if they've looked at some property on Newfound Lake. If they were able to have a clubhouse / marina on arguably NH's most pristine large lake, you'd have a really compelling product for four season use for Boston area families. Less than 2 hours from the city, 3 peak 300+ acre hill with each peak serviced by a high speed lift, 18 hole golf course and water sports. You really can't do better than that at that distance from Boston.

canobie#1

I'm sure they have a lot up their sleeve. I just hope they don't go over board on condos like the proposal says. Way too many.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I think they'll need quite a few units honestly. I thought I recalled them saying 800 units at one point. That's a lot for sure, but they don't have an established town all that close to the base. There's not much to Danbury and Bristol is 20 minutes away, so they're essentially building a community from the ground up. In order to support 4 season amenities with staff operating those amenities, you need a critical mass of people there to make it viable.

The character of the place is going to change a lot.

dlague

Has anyone heard or mentions what will be happening with the old chair? May be Magic could use it!

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
They have no choice. It's July 14th and nothing has been done. It will be very interesting to watch them pull this off...

Didn't Crotched start their lift removal in July with the finishing touches done on the Rocket in November?

This photo shows Cannon starting they demo of the old lift in September.

Old Lift Towers are Removed! by I am Cannon, on Flickr

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I will be interested to see where the old lift goes. I'll also be interested to see how fast the new lift goes up. Completely new hardware, towers, etc I imagine.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone