• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

Newpylong

For the life of me I can't understand why mountains that have the opportunity to start with a clean slate still decide to not create top to bottom uninterrupted runs without cross trails.

The only one that comes to mind who has done this right is Sunday River. Their massive expansion of 1991-1995 was done right.

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
For the life of me I can't understand why mountains that have the opportunity to start with a clean slate still decide to not create top to bottom uninterrupted runs without cross trails.

The only one that comes to mind who has done this right is Sunday River. Their massive expansion of 1991-1995 was done right.

Loon's South Peak. Nice area over there. Uncrowded, 1,500 vert, fast lift, lots of choices, no interesections.

thebigo

Agree with you and was disappointed to see the trial cut across pinnacle. Only guess is that they are planning real estate on the outside of the trail that crosses pinnacle and they need novice access.

dlague

Agree with you and was disappointed to see the trial cut across pinnacle. Only guess is that they are planning real estate on the outside of the trail that crosses pinnacle and they need novice access.

Well they can add the easiest way down or three more trails that way (upper middle and lower trail name).

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
10430054_819180824791961_9024396862789836413_n.jpg

https://www.facebook.com/RaggedMoun...5209207855796/819180824791961/?type=1&theater

bobbutts

They must be looking to increase their vertical claim with that useless trail pod at the bottom.
They stand to gain just under 250' of vertical drop if you believe my placement and google earth's elevations. Looks like a consistent easy pitch for a mile with 850 vert, I think it would be a beginner/intermediate favorite. My interpretation of their proposed lift:

ragged-lift.jpg

It should compare nicely to a well known and popular competitor's beginner/intermediate lift.
quadzilla.jpg

Last edited:

deadheadskier

Staff member
I'm pretty certain the primary purpose of that lift is to service real estate and there won't be much ski terrain. You probably are right in that they will advertise additional vertical

bobbutts

I'm pretty certain the primary purpose of that lift is to service real estate and there won't be much ski terrain. You probably are right in that they will advertise additional vertical
It's a mile long, so it will either be detachable or painfully slow. If it's a detachable, I'd be surprised if there wasn't relatively major terrain also. My vote is with this is an actual terrain expansion over there, not just a real estate project with supporting lift.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Maybe. Thought I saw a master plan drawing with just a lift and a couple trail serving a bunch of RE. Thought Bob said they saved the Spear lift also

bobbutts

Maybe. Thought I saw a master plan drawing with just a lift and a couple trail serving a bunch of RE. Thought Bob said they saved the Spear lift also
Ouch, if there is any lift that should be sent to the scrap heap it's that one. I won't be surprised if you guys are right about the real estate and vertical bump rather than serious pod.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I agree.......unless its only being used to access a RE development.

Curious what work is going on right now on Pinnacle

canobie#1

The chairs are on!

Here is some more improvements for this season:
-2 new restaurants
- Elmwood lodge renovations
-New houses being built in the barnyard area
-Six pack lift was repainted
-BRAND NEW glades in the ravine!

The lift going down to New Canada Rd will most likely be a carpet system lift, something similar to Skyline quad at sugaloaf.
Pinnacle peak will have a high speed quad.