• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Ragged Mountain installing at HSQ to replace Spear this summer

Newpylong

Skied Ragged today too. Wasn't even gonna go out at all. Was just gonna vegetate but a friend called and asked if I'd like to go. So I hopped on Liftopia and got a $45 ticket - not the best bargain but it'll do in a pinch.

Glad I went. It wasn't very cold but a bit breezy. Conditions were hard pack with some loose granular. Finally got to ride the Spear Express. Sweet! I didn't time it. Took several runs on Flying Yankee. I heard that Cardigan is the next slope to get some snow. Some techs were there getting ready to start the water flow there late in the day.

More news: the Olde Triple will replace the Village Green Double but they're going to extent it to the top of Newfound Ridge. I'd hate to see that slow lift put over on the new terrain. They'd only have to replace it. (When is the lift going in over there?)

Haven't heard anything about a new name. That could be interesting - Danbury Ridge? - which would be kind of a meh sort of thing.

The current lift doesn't line up to come anywhere near the top of Newfound. If it's extended where it is now it will dump out right where the old lift did atop Wild Side.

Or are they really going to go with a new alignment to come out top of Newfound? Seems awfully close to the top of the 6 to make sense...

xwhaler

Skied Ragged yesterday with a big crew of friends. What a day! Top day of the season for me so far.
The Spear chair really is a game changer....lapped that and hit up the Ravine nearly every run. Nice mix of steep/techy stuff in there mixed with open woods where you can really charge through.
Nice under utilized glades off Cardigan on Spear as well...Gobblers Knob/Devils Den. If Ragged can get their snowmaking figured out I see no reason why they can't start stealing market share from Sunapee/Gunstock and maybe Crotched.

It really does have the best terrain to lift setup in Central/Southern NH.
Food at Birches was decent but service very slow---after a bad pizza on the other side a couple weeks ago I'm not impressed with the new restaurant offerings.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
after a bad pizza on the other side a couple weeks ago I'm not impressed with the new restaurant offerings.
Their pizza has always been terrible. After they first put in the pizza oven - what three or fours years ago they were actually handing out free pizzas to folks as they left and saying stuff like "Oh, it's really good!". I took one but it was awful. Typical NH pizza - like they really have no idea. So they food is about as good as their snowmaking?

xwhaler

They should offer food other than just bad pizza from that side. Its a nicer room/bar then the Birches side.
I wanted to go there yesterday for lunch but only Birches was open midweek.

deadheadskier

Staff member
It seems so odd to me that they moved pizza service over to the Tallulahs side. Did they put in a new oven over there? It used to just have the panini making station. I'm not sure why they moved away from that as they were pretty good.

xwhaler

Regardless of what they do with the food IMHO they should make the now StoneHearth Pizza (formerly Tallulahs) the main bar.
Open Birches on wknds but the now pizza side is bigger, brighter, better bar and nice with the fireplace on the end.

xwhaler

Also, the beer selection on tap is severely lacking at both places. No IPAs on draft at either location?

deadheadskier

Staff member
I only ate at the Birches side once. I think last year. Had the best pulled pork sandwich I've ever had. When I had a pass, Tallulahs is where I ate.

I'm interested to see what Tallulahs looks like now with a pizza oven in it. I'm having a hard time imaging it.

I'll be there sometime in the coming weeks.

xwhaler

The food was definitely good on the Birches side yesterday---no complaints there. It was the service that was largely terrible given the relatively few ppl in there.

deadheadskier

Staff member
That doesn't surprise me. I've often found the staff at Ragged to be a little too laid back.

Except for that one female liftie they had about five years ago. Best I've ever seen

boofenstien

Got up there for the first time ever yesterday with the wife, had a blast hitting the dropoff the groomer track on skiers right showboat early. had heard the tree skiing in the Ravine was awesome and was not disappointed. Had fun getting some untracked lines throughout the day in there and over off the far left side of the 6-pack (but man does that runout suck).

Will definitely be back there!

dlague

Regardless of what they do with the food IMHO they should make the now StoneHearth Pizza (formerly Tallulahs) the main bar.
Open Birches on wknds but the now pizza side is bigger, brighter, better bar and nice with the fireplace on the end.

That has and still is the main bar. What other bar is there? I have skied Ragged for 12 year and always saw the area now known as StoneHearth Pizza to be the main bar. Nice thing - they let you bring cafeteria food in there.

You are right overall food is not that great! They should have a burger on the StoneHearth Pizza area. And they definitely need a better beer selection. They will have Harpoon this Saturday for a bit.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

xwhaler

Where what is now Birches, there's always been a bar facing the kitchen area.

And there still is but its small and much too cramped. The Tallulah side bar is much better and I would have that open 7 days a week with Birches just on busy wknds