• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Berkshire East is getting a new quad...

Tin

According to their FB page and will load via carpet. Also 2 minutes off the ride to the top.

ScottySkis

I hear this place is like Platty for MA so I have to check it out this winter (If still on the east coast that is). Good news for sure.

jaytrem

Nice. I'm surprised that more places do not use magic carpets to speed up loading.

They do seem to becoming more and more popular. Almost every lift at Bridger in MT has them now. Pretty sure they're the leader in this country.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Sure wish Attitash would throw a conveyor in for the Summit Triple. If they don't want to invest in a HSQ, at least do something to shave 3-4 minutes off the ride time.

Smuggs should look into these as well.

Tin

I hear this place is like Platty for MA so I have to check it out this winter (If still on the east coast that is). Good news for sure.

Given the pics I've seen of Platty it is not as steep (but still steeper than anywhere else in southern New England) and they groom the hell out of it unfortunately. The woods are fantastic (definitely the best south of Magic, took some exploring but you can find some ledges to hop and lots of stuff trimmed in between trails that is not listed) and you don't have to worry about crowds after a good storm.

MadMadWorld

Sure wish Attitash would throw a conveyor in for the Summit Triple. If they don't want to invest in a HSQ, at least do something to shave 3-4 minutes off the ride time.

Smuggs should look into these as well.

I would rather Smuggs invest in more padding. The back of my shin and knee hurt every time I go there.
S

Mapnut

Yes Scotty, Plattekill and Berkshire East are a good comparison. BE has a bit less vertical, and the steep runs flatten out a bit on the bottom half, but there are 5 good steep fall line runs. Liftline is narrow and never groomed but it doesn't always have enough snow. Like Plattekill, there aren't many intermediate runs, though Big Chief is a superb one, and there's an excellent novice run from the top. Liftlines are always short if any.

spiderpig

Okemo doesn't even use their conveyor loading when they don't have to. They generally run the lift at the main base without the conveyor when they only need to run one. It's a little different but easy when you get used to it and the lift attendant doesn't have to hold the chair.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Only ridden the Okemo conveyor once. I can't recall, do they run that lift appreciably faster than the lift that doesn't have one?

That to me is the main advantage; decreased ride time. When Shawnee Peak, ME installed one for their summit lift, it decreased the ride time from somewhere in the neighborhood of 14 minutes down to about 9. 5 minutes doesn't seem like much, but it made a huge difference IMO.

That's what I'd like to see at Attitash. Cut the 15 minute summit ride down to 10 minutes and I don't think the lack of a HSQ summit lift would be as big of a deal.

jaytrem

Okemo doesn't even use their conveyor loading when they don't have to. They generally run the lift at the main base without the conveyor when they only need to run one. It's a little different but easy when you get used to it and the lift attendant doesn't have to hold the chair.

Are they still using the unloading conveyor there? That's the only one of those I've seen. It is kinda freaky hitting that thing the first time.

dlague

Are they still using the unloading conveyor there? That's the only one of those I've seen. It is kinda freaky hitting that thing the first time.

I was there last year and they had the chair open with the conveyor at both ends! Thought is was kind of cool! Did not like the exit conveyor because is seemed too slow! I would rather ditch and run! Probably good for beginners I would imagine!