Does Privacy Exist Anymore?

AlpineZone

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Does Privacy Exist Anymore?

I'm throwing it out there for discussion. With lots of press attention to the NSA reviewing every call, Email, etc., and the fact that it seems that Google, Facebook, and other online sites monitor what you look at and what you do online, is there any reason to believe that there is privacy?

If you have not seen it, this is a very interesting and disturbing documentary: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...es-of-secrets/

It made me rethink my assessment of Edward Snowden and what he did.

Live, Ski, or Die!

Does Privacy Exist Anymore?

Don't get me started!

What do you think that data center they are building in bluffdale, ut is for, that has the storage capacity of the whole internet, times 10? I have a few theories but want to see and hear what others think first.

Privacy doesn't exist, but to play devils advocate, we are one of the biggest superpowers and have one of the largest populations in the world, and therefore are potentially a big target. There needs to be some surveillance, how much though is the million dollar question.

I see this thread turning into politics fast
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

I've always used the internet under the assumption that someone could be monitoring my activity. So, as far as online goes, I never thought there was much privacy anyway.
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    Don't get me started!

I see this thread turning into politics fast
    Yeah I will admit that I am testing the waters a bit here because we have had some political discussions and folks have actually done very well with no at all.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I'm throwing it out there for discussion. With lots of press attention to the NSA reviewing every call, Email, etc., and the fact that it seems that Google, Facebook, and other online sites monitor what you look at and what you do online, is there any reason to believe that there is privacy?

If you have not seen it, this is a very interesting and disturbing documentary: http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontl...es-of-secrets/

It made me rethink my assessment of Edward Snowden and what he did.
    Great you just linked us to the government. PBS is funded primarily through government funding and now by following this link we are being followed. They are trying to find out how we respond by tracking us on our computers after we listen to the videos! Shit! I clicked on the link! What am I to do!

OMG! Freaking out!
    2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Maybe the NSA can turn over Lois Lerner & the six others e-mails to Congress?

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    That is funny.
    Live, Ski or Die Trying!!!
    "Life is not measured by the numbers of breaths we take, but by the ski runs that take our breath away."

SKI THE EAST!!!!!!

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
    Just take note of who is making this a political war as TB feared.

I sure i being watched with my you know what thread. It not okay how war the government does listen to everyone kind of crazy. If they really stopped something bad from happening can we just see the proff.

Quote Originally Posted by steamboat1 View Post
    Who knows, maybe Julian Assange or Edward Snowden could play a roll....

The reality is that so many people just don't if a bunch of their personal information (bank account #'s, credit card #'s, and probably their Facebook password excluded) is out there for those that want to search a bit. We've gone through a paradym shift where we used to value and work hard to assure our privacy (and some still do), but more and more people either willingly give up their private information or at least don't actively protect it, and are fine with that.

Maybe the full transition from unique individuals to "generic data files" isn't complete yet, but I'd say that it's well on it's way. That could have some good issues, but assuredly has some bad issues too, as not all of that data, some of which could be used in a negative way at times against others, will remain innocently by the wayside
    '07--08 season: 51 Days, '08-'09 season: 55 Days, '09-'10 season: 41 Days, '10-'11 season: 49 days, '11-'12 season: 40 Days '12-'13 season: 57 days, '13-'14 season, 60 days '14-'15 season 60 days, '15-'16 season 52 days, '16-'17 season: 50 days, '17-'18 season 52 days, '18-'19 season 45 days '07-'19 seasons: 612 Days

'19 - '20 season:

November: 16.17,23,29,30 (Mount Snow)
    December: 1 (Mount Snow)

Thread Information