Cutting out cable TV - Page 3

AlpineZone

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    I have a set of rabbit ears sitting on an old chair up in our attic. I'm pulling in a good dozen HD channels. I hooked the antenna up to the coax that supplies the majority of the coax jacks in our house. I spent $10 on the antenna. In my situation, I'd get a bigger antenna and mount it in the attic before I went with an outside antenna. If I had to do that, I'd probably look for a chimney mount.

I thought Aereo was a really neat concept. But it didn't make sense for me since I already pull in a good signal. Certainly not at the pricepoint they were asking.

Next step is to break up the local monopoly the cable companies have on the towns. Choice is a good thing.
    SoVT

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Next step is to break up the local monopoly the cable companies have on the towns. Choice is a good thing.
    I have Fios and Comcast available in my town. Not what I would call great options.

I'd like to cut the cable TV and could/would be able to if we didn't have two older kids in the house who would miss what we have the most.

Lucky you! The installer of my antenna could not get the signal to lock in on channels: 20.1, 20.2 and 59.1 without losing 22.1 on an attic mount. My antenna is mounted outside on an old dish network pole in the ground about 8' up. I didn't want the antenna mounted on the house. Rarely, I'll get the screen lock / pixilation on 59.1 during heavy rain or wind.

I also discovered that the DTV tuner on one Samsung TV is weak and I did have to purchase a set top converter which alleviated the problem and has a program guide that the Samsung didn't.

Also, there are still analog channels out there! I get channel 34 from Springfield, MA and AMGTV affiliate.

I have a set of rabbit ears sitting on an old chair up in our attic. I'm pulling in a good dozen HD channels. I hooked the antenna up to the coax that supplies the majority of the coax jacks in our house. I spent $10 on the antenna. In my situation, I'd get a bigger antenna and mount it in the attic before I went with an outside antenna. If I had to do that, I'd probably look for a chimney mount.

I thought Aereo was a really neat concept. But it didn't make sense for me since I already pull in a good signal. Certainly not at the pricepoint they were asking.

2012/2013 - Season

Jiminy Peak - 11/18/2012
    Jay Peak - 12/15/2012, 3/3/13, 4/27

Mount Snow - 12/17/2012, 1/5/2013, 1/26, 2/13, 3/10, 3/24, 3/30, 4/6, 4/13
    Otis Ridge - 12/29/2012, 1/1/2013, 1/12, 1/27, 2/9, 2/16, 2/24, 3/16

21 times

We ditched Direct TV for Roku (netflix & hulu plus) over 4 years ago. Bill went from $120 per month to about $16. Shortly after that we added an amplified indoor HD antenna for about $100 and also get a slew of free HD local channels.

per the advice of a friend I back fed the HD antenna into my homes existing coax cable. Now that one antenna feeds 4 televisions.

Yeah for me it was convenience + not needing to hook anything up.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    per the advice of a friend I back fed the HD antenna into my homes existing coax cable. Now that one antenna feeds 4 televisions.
    How do you backfeed an antenna?
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    How do you backfeed an antenna?
    The HD antenna is connect to a coax jack which sends the signal through all the interconnected coax cabling in the house. Any TV in the house with a built in digital tuner that is also connected to a coax jack picks up the HD antenna signal.

Quote Originally Posted by MR. evil View Post
    The HD antenna is connect to a coax jack which sends the signal through all the interconnected coax cabling in the house. Any TV in the house with a built in digital tuner that is also connected to a coax jack picks up the HD antenna signal.
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    2009/2010 - 28

2009 mtb-19 rides- 113.58 miles

2008/09 - 33

Quote Originally Posted by o3jeff View Post
    Thanks, I'll give it a try.
    Make sure you wire in the Flux capacitor first!
    Brian

Quote Originally Posted by bvibert View Post
    Make sure you wire in the Flux capacitor first!
    And prep the Pfetzer valves with 3 in 1 oil and some gauze pads.
    "The trouble with internet quotations is that they're often impossible to verify."
    -Aristotle

Thread Information