• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

skithetrees

I think you would be correct as well.

A few things:

(1) I think this actually a very positive change for the mountain that should have happened a long time ago. I have faith that Tom knows how to run the mountain and especially its mechanical systems. I expect everything from snow making to the lifts to be in better condition than ever this year. He may not be an eloquent communicator, but I think he knows how to run the mountain quite well. I think he knows and understands its systems, and their limitations, better than most.

(2) I am not shocked by the, admittedly, defensive tone of the email. Frankly, the moment the share program became a club I wouldn't have touched it with a ten foot pole. Essentially, you were making a donation at that point for use at the sole discretion of the previous operator; evidenced by the lack of any real accounting. I think the email from that person is quite telling and explains Tom's email quite well. If I was Tom, I would want to head off that angry mob at first opportunity.

(3) I hope and do truly believe, that if Tom gets to run the mountain his way, this will be a turning point - provided mother nature cooperates.

The above is my opinion, but I do truly believe this to be a positive turn.

skithetrees

I think you would be correct as well.

While I have never been a huge fan of Jim, I don't believe (hope) this is strictly the case. I suspect funds may have been spent outside the corners of the agreement, but on the mountain. I don't think this is a situation of the funds being privately pocketed. While not proper, the former is more understandable than the latter.

Cannonball

These open letters are insane! They sound way more like the ramblings of a drunk or mentally disturbed person than any kind of legitimate business. This has the makings of a saga that will turn the Burke fiasco into a forgotten side note. Can't wait to see what happens next!

thetrailboss

Staff member
The State regulators are involved? Something sounds fishy here. This is now just more bizarre.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MadMadWorld

While I have never been a huge fan of Jim, I don't believe (hope) this is strictly the case. I suspect funds may have been spent outside the corners of the agreement, but on the mountain. I don't think this is a situation of the funds being privately pocketed. While not proper, the former is more understandable than the latter.

Misappropriation of funds.....embezzlement.....both are criminal.

skithetrees

Misappropriation of funds.....embezzlement.....both are criminal.

Don't misread my comment as saying it is appropriate. The first is the scenario of the guy getting in over his head (which I think has been the case since day 1) and spending money to try and save his business. The second is the guy pocketing that money and walking away. While neither is appropriate, I feel a little sorry for the poor decisions of the first guy. But let me be clear, I have never been crazy about the party in question.

xwhaler

In reading Tom Barker's combined with Sullivans note it seems the real issue was not controlling the way funds were spent. The issue of cost containment seems to be at the core of what is going on. Its a real chicken/egg thing with Magic...w/o spending some funds will/can the mountain expand its customer base enough to be sustainable?
But if spending those funds puts the mtn out of business it is a moot point.

Absolutely a tough question to answer for any business but especially one that is seasonal and competing with more established competitors with deep pockets nearby.

Barker did say focus will be on cost containment...from an operating perspective I do wonder how this will manifest itself? The continued reclaiming of snowmaking pipe over the past few yrs I thought was super beneficial for them. Does this snowmaking improvement now cease and they focus on running as lean an operation as possible?
IMHO, making sure the lifts run and trying to use any leftover $ for snowmaking improvements should be where the $ should go at least in the short term.
Anything else (lodge improvements, tubing, new lift for beginner area, etc) should be secondary as w/o the 1st 2 there is no mtn.

MadMadWorld

When an organization is considered a club funds it pretty much gives the officer free rein when it comes to how/where money is spent. The fact that state regulators are involved in a situation involving a club is a huge red flag in my experience. I don't want to speculate too much but this is not good for Mr. Sullivan.

skithetrees

What is the actual issue with Red to start each year?

Primarily age which requires a certain percentage of parts to be replaced annually until a complete overhaul is finished in order to pass inspection.

vonski

Didn't Sullivan have issues with failed companies in the past. When I saw that they were trying to start a COOP. I knew it was a lost money Pit. Good Luck to those who invested!

skithetrees

In reading Tom Barker's combined with Sullivans note it seems the real issue was not controlling the way funds were spent. The issue of cost containment seems to be at the core of what is going on. Its a real chicken/egg thing with Magic...w/o spending some funds will/can the mountain expand its customer base enough to be sustainable?
But if spending those funds puts the mtn out of business it is a moot point.

Absolutely a tough question to answer for any business but especially one that is seasonal and competing with more established competitors with deep pockets nearby.

Barker did say focus will be on cost containment...from an operating perspective I do wonder how this will manifest itself? The continued reclaiming of snowmaking pipe over the past few yrs I thought was super beneficial for them. Does this snowmaking improvement now cease and they focus on running as lean an operation as possible?
IMHO, making sure the lifts run and trying to use any leftover $ for snowmaking improvements should be where the $ should go at least in the short term.
Anything else (lodge improvements, tubing, new lift for beginner area, etc) should be secondary as w/o the 1st 2 there is no mtn.

IMO, much of the snowmaking improvement was a fool's errand for a mountain that can't make it into the black. When you can't afford to make the snow, what is the point of having 75+% coverage. They should blow snow on witch to full length of black line and magic carpet to wand to hocus pokus. Satisfy the experts and beginners while blowing the least amount of snow. Anything above that is gravy for a mountain that can't afford more. If the finances look good, then blow trick, medium, show off and talisman

RustyGroomer

We need some of the Magic regulars to do some digging and get back to us.
Fireworks were great!
1237534_10204402285440873_4536514970702502345_n.jpg
10468362_10204402278600702_2699432084135272598_n.jpg

RustyGroomer

you can see my other pics there! Believe it or not TrailBoss, that was NOT a pun. I get it seeing it now though.:dunce: I'm just an idiot who always puts his foot in his mouth. Anyway, i'm here to make light of all of this. I'm a "donator" & not concerned in the least with this. Every year Magic gets a hammer dropped on it in some way,.....usually as ski season is upon us. This year it came early in July. That's a good thing.