• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

slatham

Rusty groomer' I'll see you on Saturday.

As far a the sucker comment, I think there's some ignorance regarding the intent of the investors/donors, as well as the sequence of events. Not to mention a final outcome that is unknown.

But I could really care less. Go ski Stratton and leave Magic to the suckers.......

MadMadWorld

You’d have every right to be. We were/are very upset. We also realized it does not help things one bit. I’ll be up there this weekend volunteering my time. That does.

I might try and make it up to lend a hand. What day/times? Is it cool to just bring your muscles if you don't have the tools?

slatham

Volunteer days - this Saturday, Sept 27. And Saturday October 11th.
9am.
No tools required.
Suckers welcome.

RustyGroomer

Rusty groomer' I'll see you on Saturday.
Nice! MMW Saturday is the day & truthfully i'm not expecting a big turnout. Seems quiet for some reason & there's a bunch of other stuff going on in the area. VT50, Peru Fair, etc. Either way it's mostly just a walk up the hill for a clean up here & there. Mostly deadfall, etc. Simple pruning here & there.

slatham

Well, to directly answe the name the of this thread, "A lot of great things!".

BLT all decked out like I've never seen before for a wedding.

TimberQuest in action.

Most trails mowed, and Black Line trimmed so tight my stubble is longer than the grass.

More trail re-grading, with Carumba and Wizard receiving some love (maybe others too).

A nice collection of "new", pre-owned Ratnicks that while not the modern low-e guns, are better than what they replaced (it's all relative).

And a good showing of a dozen or so volunteers, even though there were bunch of local events going on. We did some great glade work to skiers left of........sorry, that will not be revealed without at least a beer.

RustyGroomer

Well, to directly answe the name the of this thread, "A lot of great things!".

BLT all decked out like I've never seen before for a wedding.

TimberQuest in action.

Most trails mowed, and Black Line trimmed so tight my stubble is longer than the grass.

More trail re-grading, with Carumba and Wizard receiving some love (maybe others too).

A nice collection of "new", pre-owned Ratnicks that while not the modern low-e guns, are better than what they replaced (it's all relative).

And a good showing of a dozen or so volunteers, even though there were bunch of local events going on. We did some great glade work to skiers left of........sorry, that will not be revealed without at least a beer.
It was a pleasant surprise. I have to say that. All uncertainties aside, the mountain is getting very ready for ski season. & it looks GOOD!!

Tin

We did some great glade work to skiers left of........sorry, that will not be revealed without at least a beer.

My GF refers to Magic as a skier's playground because it is like you can ski the whole mountain. Looking forward to doing some exploring this year since it will be my day trip spot.

RustyGroomer

And some new spots?

:grin:
Funny thing is no. Not Saturday anyway. A few of us agreed we need to get some existing stuff skiing better. We worked up into the woods thinning but more importantly clearing deadfall. Disappearing Act got a thorough clean a couple years back & it skis incredibly well now. That's the idea (in my eyes anyway) this year. There's so much existing terrain that could ski better/SAFER if the downed limbs/trees were gone. Less picking lines more fluid skiing is the thought.

Tin

Funny thing is no. Not Saturday anyway. A few of us agreed we need to get some existing stuff skiing better. We worked up into the woods thinning but more importantly clearing deadfall. Disappearing Act got a thorough clean a couple years back & it skis incredibly well now. That's the idea (in my eyes anyway) this year. There's so much existing terrain that could ski better/SAFER if the downed limbs/trees were gone. Less picking lines more fluid skiing is the thought.

That is great. It does ski very, very well. Plus the cleaner it is the less snow to ski it as well. You guys do great things up there!

RustyGroomer

Black got a serious haircut. It looks soo ready.
13974_10205099326586466_318360014556237657_n.jpg

slatham

Rustygroomer, on my way down I stayed skiers left and widened the section we worked on but then dropped into a creek bed that was not skiable but now is, though it sure ain't wide! I may try a solo commando run sometime this fall to clear more, but it is skiable. So a little bit of new terrain!

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Well guys, I just crawled out from my summer cave to be greeted by this lovely thread. I too can't believe I read 156 posts. Then again, I have a soft spot for Magic. While it looks like I missed the discussion, I'll add a couple of tidbits.

First, about cost. I read a Kottke report a few years ago, and if I've got my numbers right, operating expense breaks down (on the average) as labor @ 50%, energy @ 18%, insurance @10%. Everything else is is a % tidbit here and there, including food service. This does not consider capital projects. I'd bet though that Magic is on the low end of revenues, don't know their energy costs and think that wages are below average. Bigger operations scale. Magic can't do that so readily. I expect there is not a lot of room to cut costs. Increasing the top line will require advertising, yet another expense. So it's going to be a real challenge.
Second - who owns the land / Who is MMM?
Third - It will be hugely interesting to see how their lift ticket price structure changes this year.

Fourth - Hey, about them woods volunteer days? I live far away and I save my money for skiing. How's about if Magic opens up the base lodge, I bring my sleeping bag and air mattress, catch a few z's, use the bathroom and hit the trail? Rusty said volunteers are down in numbers. I'll bet they could get more people with this brilliant move. Of course they'd need a Den Mother to watch us all...
And last, please run the chair so I can hike down to the glades, rather than hiking up. Last time I was there they took Matt's jeep and beat the crap out of it on the way up.

slatham

Billski, they did provide transport up the mountain via a couple of the 4x4 machines, although the Rustygroomer crew hiked up. Not sure of all the reasons, or if this is even true, but I heard that lighting up Red for a one day, pre-season run is not cheap.

As far as finances, the hill effectively broke even the last 2 winters. With Tom running the moutain at no salary, and a couple of other changes, personnel cost have come down. I am not sure what, if any, additional costs will be cut. But from what I have seen and heard, thus far magic looks in good shape and ready to go.

As far as ownership of the mountain, I can't recall the names but effectively there are two large holders (say 40% each) and then Tom at say 20%. Those percentages are hearsay, but you get the idea. Tom is also the owner of the company that now holds the operating lease to run the mountain.

Think snow!

Magic

My family and I have been a part of magic for years now and it saddens me to see the poor management over the past years. It is so obvious to see the issues, but maybe some people are just too close to the situation to "see through the forest".
1. The bar and food makes a fortune, yet if you have to wait 15 minutes or jump up and down for a beer-people walk away frustrated. Open the annex area with a few kegs like you did a few years ago.
2. Utilize the pizza oven and kitchen upstairs- easy and huge profit.
3. No more tables up stairs with people bringing crock pots full of food. They are taking up space from paying customers who want to dine. Let them sit downstairs without taking up primo space for paying customers.
4. The store could be great- sad that it had not been utilized correctly. Bring back Dick and his staff.
5. People skiing with "comp passes" like crazy or no ticket at all. No more freebies!!!
6. Paid Oversight/Management staff should be addressing these issues instead of chatting up friends at the bar.
7. Tell the truth- nothing worse than facebook or website stating tubing is open, we rush to get there- and closed! Just be honest and transparent with issues.
8. None of us want a "corporate" Stratton like atmosphere, but mountains that make money are not lax with supervision and accountability of staff.

Last edited: