• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

slatham

Regarding the AG, you would have a valid argument of fraud IF Magic had not contacted the VT Tramway for an inspection. This would prove they have no intention to open, yet were advertising they would open, collecting money etc etc. I find this incredibly unlikely, even with all the shenanigans that have been occurring lately. Bad weather, bad luck and bad (but not negligent/fraudulent) business decisions are sometimes what consumers have to deal with.

Magic

Just read they are not opening tubing now until NEXT THURSDAY!!! I guess they did not get any lifts inspected. WTF. Wake me up from this nightmare!

VTKilarney

Just read they are not opening tubing now until NEXT THURSDAY!!! I guess they did not get any lifts inspected. WTF. Wake me up from this nightmare!
So the theory that it was worth it to get tubing open if they couldn't get skiing open ust went down the drain.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
It is so sad... I grew up skiing at Magic. I'm really not in the know anymore, but I assume Magic has enough water and snow making infrastructure to cover at least a few trails top to bottom. If that is true, the ONLY reason they are not open at this juncture is due to management not wanting to spend the money. "If you build it they will come." Magic's management has not and doesn't seem to be "building it" or making snow as is the case in the ski industry, to get anyone to come. Management truly seems to be running the place into the ground back onto NELSAP. I, too, feel badly for any season pass holders.

Sorcerer

Rather than the AG and Tramway, you should find Rob Lyszczarz and convince him to sell!

I think you have the only solution to the problem. I can't understand why he continues to hold onto Magic. Too bad the mortgage holder can't (won't?) force him out.

Sorcerer

It is so sad... I grew up skiing at Magic. I'm really not in the know anymore, but I assume Magic has enough water and snow making infrastructure to cover at least a few trails top to bottom. If that is true, the ONLY reason they are not open at this juncture is due to management not wanting to spend the money. "If you build it they will come." Magic's management has not and doesn't seem to be "building it" or making snow as is the case in the ski industry, to get anyone to come. Management truly seems to be running the place into the ground back onto NELSAP. I, too, feel badly for any season pass holders.

The current operator (minority owner) thinks the only way to make the mountain viable is to control costs and by that he means not spending money. He doesn't seem to understand that you have to spend money to make money. One big problem is that he doesn't have the money to spend and what is happening is a result of that.

Why Lyszczarz (sp?) didn't sell when there were buyers who wanted to buy and invest, I don't understand. Does anyone?

Sorcerer

I recall reading that they need to get a crane in to adjust the counterweight on the Red Chair, and that the counterweight needs to be adjusted in order for the lift to pass inspection. I also recall reading that the Red Chair would be ready for this weekend. So... has anyone seen a crane up there and/or an inspector? Even if they are delaying their opening yet again, why would they wait even longer to get the chair in shape to be inspected? I can't think of any reason whatsoever.

I heard that they had a way to adjust the counter weight without a crane. There was an inspector at the Red Chair yesterday and, I think, today. Before who I think was the inspector came today, the purple cat was was doing something at the base station - maybe adjusting the counter weight some how? The people who were there are gone. I'm not sure what happened.

VTKilarney

I heard that they had a way to adjust the counter weight without a crane. There was an inspector at the Red Chair yesterday and, I think, today. Before who I think was the inspector came today, the purple cat was was doing something at the base station - maybe adjusting the counter weight some how? The people who were there are gone. I'm not sure what happened.

You'd think if the chair passed inspection they would have announced it.

JamaicaMan

Hear that final inspection on Red is coming Monday and that all looks good now. Let's hope so!

As for the Tubing news. Are you freaking kidding me????????? What a waste of ops time blowing snow there (and not on ski trails) and then not opening it this weekend and at least getting $2k. TB is running those guys in circles. Feel really bad for them having to deal with him. Now it's going to be hell for them trying to get the ski area open for MLK. Cold weather will help next week but it will be all out to get it done.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

MEtoVTSkier

Hear that final inspection on Red is coming Monday and that all looks good now. Let's hope so!

As for the Tubing news. Are you freaking kidding me????????? What a waste of ops time blowing snow there (and not on ski trails) and then not opening it this weekend and at least getting $2k. TB is running those guys in circles. Feel really bad for them having to deal with him. Now it's going to be hell for them trying to get the ski area open for MLK. Cold weather will help next week but it will be all out to get it done.

They won't need to blow any snow if they don't get the lifts fixed correctly the way the inspector wants, so that it will pass inspection. Keep trying to nickle and dime a cheap fix, instead of doing it right the first time!

rtjcbrown

As an outsider looking in, I find this both sad and amazing. Seems like the ship has hit the iceberg, and no matter what the captain says, this baby is sinking.
Who I going to buy a season's pass next year?
Too much bad publicity.
Toast

Magic

The FB post written by the mountain saying tubing will open Thursday is now GONE! They can't keep up with their own lies at this point...

VTKilarney

As an outsider looking in, I find this both sad and amazing. Seems like the ship has hit the iceberg, and no matter what the captain says, this baby is sinking.
Toast
I hate to say it, but I agree with you. I don't see any way current management is going to get out of this death spiral. If I owned a condo up there, I'd get it on the market as soon as the lifts start spinning and hope that it sells fast.

slatham

Communist censorship. Great. We should be careful with our comments or some of us might go missing while skiing the woods. Assuming that ever happens.

zoomzoom

a heron-poma ctw is attached to the carriage by a reeved cable system, a six part line (or maybe 8?). the movement of ctw and carriage are synchronous, however the reeving system allows the ctw ht to be adjusted using a tag line attached to a heavy piece of machinery. usually a dozer of significant weight. divide the mass of the ctw by the advantage in the system, add some for friction, and give it a try. not sure if a snowcat has the weight or traction. but no need for a crane to pick it straight up. look at the back of the drive building some day, you'll see a hole for the tag line. (IIRC). not an expert, but i play one on the interwebz. : )

Last edited:

twinplanx

The news from Magic just gets worse. Aside from there snow making issues, what will it take to get the place up and running? I know there's a lot of love for the Red Chair. What will it take to address the counterweight issue? And seriously WTF is with Black? Red definitely needs an backup. Perhaps a surface lift(or series of)will provide a cost effective alternative? Current "management" is failing. But I do believe in Magic! I hope they can get there act together. Or someone with a reasonable business model can step in before it's to late...

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
The news from Magic just gets worse. Aside from there snow making issues, what will it take to get the place up and running? I know there's a lot of love for the Red Chair. What will it take to address the counterweight issue? And seriously WTF is with Black? Red definitely needs an backup. Perhaps a surface lift(or series of)will provide a cost effective alternative? Current "management" is failing. But I do believe in Magic! I hope they can get there act together. Or someone with a reasonable business model can step in before it's to late...
Someone did apparently...but these guys didn't want to sell.