• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

lotsarocks

Soft snow is always fun.
Was that picture taken on the little kicker you built with him on top of hocus pocus?

Yah that was on hocus, with the kicker the kids built on sunshine corner and the one at betwixt he was having a fun day.

Do Work

well because they are late to the game they haven't had to thaws and refreezes nor over grooming like others have had being open longer.

Lololol... Anything to avoid giving Magic some credit, eh?

Heh. AZ is the best.

Thanks for the laughs, man. Refereeze cycles. Ha! I'm going to write that down so I can let ops know that none of that good work was their fault and they just got lucky.

prsboogie

skied there last thurs, excellant!

everything there was better than i had hoped for. first, the grooming was as good as you can get anywhere with no lumpy/icy surprises - consistancy is the word. ops were friendly, ski patrol on-site, load/unload ramps perfect, ticket seller nice, bathrooms/lodge spotless

pics taken mid-day.

Do Work, I think this was some love for ops, don't you?

Do Work

Do Work, I think this was some love for ops, don't you?

Oh, absolutely! As was the opinion that the grooming was better than they experienced the Hermitage. I can't say as I've never been there but I have been many, many other places famous for their grooming and honestly my run at 8:37am Sunday was literally the best cord I've ever skied. It stayed awesome all day too, since there weren't 8,000 people sideslipping it.

The difference is that the operators at Magic are the sole suppliers of said product. There isn't a crew or a fleet, and when something needs another pass in his expert opinion, it gets it. As many times as it takes to get it as good as it can possibly be. Their name is on it when they're done and they know everyone knows them and appreciates their artistry- and it is artistry, believe me. To get what I experienced this weekend out of the severe shortage of stuff to work with was nothing short of a masterpiece. I could not believe the day I had Sunday. I literally couldn't stop hammering laps at any point, and I wasn't alone.

That's why I just laugh. Some guys will never get it and I'm totally fine with that. I do, however, reserve the right to point and laugh when I see something like that. It's obviously not harmful, just funny to me how when something bad happens it's all Magic's fault but when something good happens it's because of some divine intervention or blind luck. Believe it or not, Magic really does have some incredibly talented people working there. I just wish people were more apt to give credit to Ops, as they succeed despite management's blunders and they deserve all the credit in the world for that IMO. Slam management all you want, but the Ops guys are seriously my heroes. Even fkn Donnie haha (don't tell him I said that)

BTW yeggous, it was great to meet you!

Last edited:

prsboogie

Depending on the "cow pissing on a flat Rock" shit falling from the sky, I'm trying to plan a weekend the end of Feb vaca to use our family pack. I hope it works out. Glad it's coming around though!!

yeggous

Oh, absolutely! As was the opinion that the grooming was better than they experienced the Hermitage. I can't say as I've never been there but I have been many, many other places famous for their grooming and honestly my run at 8:37am Sunday was literally the best cord I've ever skied. It stayed awesome all day too, since there weren't 8,000 people sideslipping it.

The difference is that the operators at Magic are the sole suppliers of said product. There isn't a crew or a fleet, and when something needs another pass in his expert opinion, it gets it. As many times as it takes to get it as good as it can possibly be. Their name is on it when they're done and they know everyone knows them and appreciates their artistry- and it is artistry, believe me. To get what I experienced this weekend out of the severe shortage of stuff to work with was nothing short of a masterpiece. I could not believe the day I had Sunday. I literally couldn't stop hammering laps at any point, and I wasn't alone.

That's why I just laugh. Some guys will never get it and I'm totally fine with that. I do, however, reserve the right to point and laugh when I see something like that. It's obviously not harmful, just funny to me how when something bad happens it's all Magic's fault but when something good happens it's because of some divine intervention or blind luck. Believe it or not, Magic really does have some incredibly talented people working there. I just wish people were more apt to give credit to Ops, as they succeed despite management's blunders and they deserve all the credit in the world for that IMO. Slam management all you want, but the Ops guys are seriously my heroes. Even fkn Donnie haha (don't tell him I said that)

BTW yeggous, it was great to meet you!

You too! I just wish it was easier to motivate my wife to get back out on Saturday. She views our Vermont excursions as a chance to have a "romantic" weekend. I just want to ski and drink. We all have priorities.

Smellytele

Lololol... Anything to avoid giving Magic some credit, eh?

Heh. AZ is the best.

Thanks for the laughs, man. Refereeze cycles. Ha! I'm going to write that down so I can let ops know that none of that good work was their fault and they just got lucky.

Yeah no such thing as thaw/refreeze. You are a douche if you believe that thaws and refreezing doesn't have any effect what so ever. Also when a trail gets groomed and then skied 30 days without new snow that it doesn't build an icier base. Yes I believe it was probably good snow and groomed well. I love skiing Magic but come on man get that hair out from across your ass.

Do Work

Yeah no such thing as thaw/refreeze. You are a douche if you believe that thaws and refreezing doesn't have any effect what so ever. Also when a trail gets groomed and then skied 30 days without new snow that it doesn't build an icier base. Yes I believe it was probably good snow and groomed well. I love skiing Magic but come on man get that hair out from across your ass.

Bahahaha hey, don't confuse my talking some shit to you with a lack of understanding about what goes into good snow. I just wanted to harass you for being kind of a tool about it. I'll buy you a beer to rub on it if I hurt your feelings, man.

ShadyGrove

We skied Bromley today. Standard machine groomed frozen granular conditions.

On the way back my wife made me stop at some artificially nice country store. Some women asked me if it was my truck outside. I was stunned when she proceeded to lecture me about how Vermont has a no idling law. Then a guy next to her joins in and says its for global warming reasons and trucks use as much fuel idling as driving. I was so stunned I couldn't think of anything witty to say. It was like a scene from that Netflix skit series Portlandia.

Back to topic though...

We're in the Upper Pass Lodge getting ready for dinner right now. We're planning to head over to the Black Line Tavern for drinks later.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

I'm guessing you were at the Hapgood Store in Peru.

I suspect the gentleman was referring to all trucks idling over the course of a year or something. He was probably not referring to you and your truck in particular. In other words, of all the trucks (semis, etc) running during a year, they emit as much while idling as they do while driving. I believe most long haulers idle their trucks longer than they are actually driving them.

That being said, Saturday was a nice warm day. It was even sunny for part of the time. I don't think it dipped below 25 all day. You really had to warm your truck up? Sack up - you're a skier! :flame:

yeggous

I'm guessing you were at the Hapgood Store in Peru.

I suspect the gentleman was referring to all trucks idling over the course of a year or something. He was probably not referring to you and your truck in particular. In other words, of all the trucks (semis, etc) running during a year, they emit as much while idling as they do while driving. I believe most long haulers idle their trucks longer than they are actually driving them.

That being said, Saturday was a nice warm day. It was even sunny for part of the time. I don't think it dipped below 25 all day. You really had to warm your truck up? Sack up - you're a skier! :flame:

Yes, that would be the commune we were at. Saturday afternoon did warm up nicely. I actually like a cooler climate, but the wife disagrees. Dual zone climate control FTW.

rocks860

I'm really wondering when I'm gonna be able to use this 3 pack I bought. I'm likely out of commission for at least the next 2 weeks and this weather is miserable

rocks860

Haha I dunno if I could justify driving 2 hours to hang out at the bar but I will definitely be up there at some point (at least 3 times). Shoulder is all messed up so I need to see how that works out before I get out on the mountain again. Looks like some snow in the future though

Tin

I'm really wondering when I'm gonna be able to use this 3 pack I bought. I'm likely out of commission for at least the next 2 weeks and this weather is miserable

It will change! March has been amazing at Magic the past few years. Did they mention any AC sprain or labrum/cuff damage?