• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

drjeff

Dual Slalom course set up on the tubing hill sounds like way more fun than a downhill GS race. Racers could do one run on skis and the second run on a tube. This could be the beginning of a new Olympic sport.

If that happens, then I sure hope they let the parents participate as well! :)

While I will concede that at least my oldest can now beat me in the gates, the mass advantage I'd have in a tube would be insurmountable verses either of my kids that would be racing that day! :lol:

WoodCore

I think Magic has lost a lot of pass holders and potential pass holders already. You can get a season pass at a nearby major resort (Stratton) for almost $250 less than what Magic is charging. It is blacked out for the holidays but you're getting a ton more bang for your buck and a MUCH more reliable product without the drama. Some will argue about how much better the terrain is at Magic, I agree but how good is that terrain without any snow and a lift to get you to the top of it??

slatham

Bottom line, Magic, if they can have the terrain open, has a group of typically 300 or so, scheduled to be there a week from Sunday for a Southern VT U12 age group dual GS race. That has to be looked at as a decent cash influx opportunity, between the ticket sales for racers and parents (even though they're not full price tickets) and food and beverage revenues.

As of now it's still on. I will be actively looking at my email inbox between now and next Wed when typically the final race decision is made...

I find it hard to believe - without a dump - that they have more than Trick/Show Off for MLK. And I find it hard to believe that with only one run they will use a big part of it for a race. But then again, there have been many things that have actually happened that I found hard to believe.......

drjeff

Well with that info even if they are open I will ski somewhere else even though I am staying at the Upper Pass. Bromley most likely. I will save my Magic vouchers for later in the season.

I'll keep the AZ folks updated as to the status of the race as we head on towards MLK weekend

As someone who skis Magic 25-35 days a year, I have become very frustrated. So frustrated I was going to use lifetime AZ post #10 to wave the white flag and give up on Magic. I was going to rail on how incompetent management has been. Point out that a former NELSAP in Southern, CT is opening tomorrow. Point out there is a good chance Ascutney will open before Magic, etc. I was going to tell people that if they need me, I'll be at Timber Ridge.

But then I found the answer...

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Last edited:

WoodCore

Pretty sad when your snowmaking output is dwarfed by the meager system at Whaleback.

• After a tough start to the season we are pleased to announce we are opening for top to bottom skiing/riding on Saturday 9AM. We owe this to a Herculean effort of our snowmakers who have moved heaven and earth in a few short days to make this happen.

• The run off the summit will be Lift Line to Dorsal to Scrimshaw.

We hope to see returning and new faces this year at our hill.

I have attached pictures of our snowmaking efforts for you to enjoy.

attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php
    attachment.php

[/quote]

UYSDYP

That's what the rangers with tracks look like on snow. Forget red Maybe they can convert the bed into 4 seats and bring us up 5 at a time x2. Kinda like micro snowcat tours. Bet they could get a premium for that. Maybe offer early departures on pow dayz.

That's what the rangers with tracks look like on snow. Forget red Maybe they can convert the bed into 4 seats and bring us up 5 at a time x2. Kinda like micro snowcat tours. Bet they could get a premium for that. Maybe offer early departures on pow dayz.

ImageUploadedByAlpineZone1452223290.638856.jpg

Timber Ridge, the best run ski area on Glebe Mountain, beat them to it.

UYSDYP

They just can't be first at anything. Must be all their bad luck. Maybe timber ridge will blow enough snow for a t2b and fill the vacuum left by the magical incompetence.

JoeB-Z

Let's turn back to the first post in this thread with a quote from Tom Barker " they could not contain cost to 75% of revenue. I’m facing that same problem. Relative to what will be done going forward, I am forced to make Magic work the old fashioned way, selling more stuff than I have to buy. My focus now and for the foreseeable future will be cost control. Last year Magic’s total revenue was about $950K and its total costs were $950K +/- $2K. That defines a breakeven situation. I will be focused on (1) maintaining or growing the revenue, (2) putting in enough money to carry operations through to winter without borrowing, (3) managing cost to end the year $200 to $300 K in the black and (4) rolling that extra cash back into the mountain on the type projects that were targeted by MFC funds.

As always I’m always available for discussions and I will be posting a manager’s blog to describe what is happening."

From here on I would like to give the incredible disappearing and never available Mr. Barker the nickname Carnival Barker. His cheapskate antics have rendered the mountain unable to meet its minimal obligations to passholders in a tough year. Frankly, a tough year is his problem. I will stopping by on Saturday AM before I ski elsewhere to ask for my money back. When that is turned down I will bring the issue up with the AG and the tramway board next week.

Any discussion you are available for Carnival Barker?

BlueTrails

With the decision to blow tubing area, they will not have enough time to blow an alternate lower mountain route down other than Show Off, so race revenue opportunity will be lost until later in the season I'm afraid. Tubing will bring in less than $2K on a non-holiday weekend. Revenue per visit doesn't even compare to skiing.

Alternate route? Nah.....I fully expect the race to be held with the season pass holders flying down the hill at the same time. Seen it before. Why change now? We need the dough.

marcski

Westchester County, NY and a Mountain near you!
Let's turn back to the first post in this thread with a quote from Tom Barker " they could not contain cost to 75% of revenue. I’m facing that same problem. Relative to what will be done going forward, I am forced to make Magic work the old fashioned way, selling more stuff than I have to buy. My focus now and for the foreseeable future will be cost control. Last year Magic’s total revenue was about $950K and its total costs were $950K +/- $2K. That defines a breakeven situation. I will be focused on (1) maintaining or growing the revenue, (2) putting in enough money to carry operations through to winter without borrowing, (3) managing cost to end the year $200 to $300 K in the black and (4) rolling that extra cash back into the mountain on the type projects that were targeted by MFC funds.

As always I’m always available for discussions and I will be posting a manager’s blog to describe what is happening."

From here on I would like to give the incredible disappearing and never available Mr. Barker the nickname Carnival Barker. His cheapskate antics have rendered the mountain unable to meet its minimal obligations to passholders in a tough year. Frankly, a tough year is his problem. I will stopping by on Saturday AM before I ski elsewhere to ask for my money back. When that is turned down I will bring the issue up with the AG and the tramway board next week.

Any discussion you are available for Carnival Barker?

Sorry to say, but the AG and the tramway board will laugh you out of their offices. Nothing about what is happening at Magic this season is surprising or anyway out of the norm for a small ski area struggling against the wrath of mother nature, El Nino and climate chamge. They have done nothing illegal. Lol.

VTKilarney

I agree that the AG will not give you the help you are seeking. At least not at this point.

I wonder what would happen if somebody tried to challenge the charge on their credit card. It has to be a long shot, but at this point I'd be thinking about any and all options to get my money back.

mriceyman

Sorry to say, but the AG and the tramway board will laugh you out of their offices. Nothing about what is happening at Magic this season is surprising or anyway out of the norm for a small ski area struggling against the wrath of mother nature, El Nino and climate chamge. They have done nothing illegal. Lol.

Not having a lift inspected before january should have no bearing on what the weather is.

VTKilarney

I recall reading that they need to get a crane in to adjust the counterweight on the Red Chair, and that the counterweight needs to be adjusted in order for the lift to pass inspection. I also recall reading that the Red Chair would be ready for this weekend. So... has anyone seen a crane up there and/or an inspector? Even if they are delaying their opening yet again, why would they wait even longer to get the chair in shape to be inspected? I can't think of any reason whatsoever.