• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

slatham

We can argue the amount, but the value of Magic is a good amount higher with two working and certified summit lifts.

I visited magic for the first time two weeks ago. Seems like a pretty cool place and I am trying to get back there next year, hopefully with more snow.

One thing that did rub me the wrong way was that the liftie had a tip jar set up. I have never seen that anywhere before and as much as I appriciate the job a liftie does, I don't really view it as a tippable position. Anyone else see this before?

mriceyman

I visited magic for the first time two weeks ago. Seems like a pretty cool place and I am trying to get back there next year, hopefully with more snow.

One thing that did rub me the wrong way was that the liftie had a tip jar set up. I have never seen that anywhere before and as much as I appriciate the job a liftie does, I don't really view it as a tippable position. Anyone else see this before?

Probably isnt gettn paid

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

VTKilarney

There seems to be a proliferation of jobs that expect tips. I never thought that I'd see it taken to this extreme, though.

Cannonball

I know people who tip lifties at the end of the season. But I've never seen a tip jar.

slatham

Dave is good guy if little moody sometimes. He deserves a tip. I would give him one if I had skied there this year. The question is, will I get a chance??????

VTKilarney

Dave is good guy if little moody sometimes. He deserves a tip. I would give him one if I had skied there this year. The question is, will I get a chance??????

I'm not trying to be confrontational, but merely out of curiosity, why would this particular lift attendant be worthy of a tip jar if 99.999% of other lift attendants don't have one? Or were you referring to an end of season tip? I've never heard of an end of season tip, but since it is not the product of an actual actual request, I find the concept to be much less objectionable.

I've always preferred the payment of a living wage in lieu of a sub-standard wage plus tips. Japan, for example, has arguably the best customer service in the world and is not a tipping culture.

slatham

End of season.

Because he is really the one and only lift attendant at a friendlier, laid back, living on a shoestring kinda area. I mean I know his name and he does not wear a name tag! And I like his music.

But yeah other than Dave I would not really think of it. Again though, its because even at my home mountain I do not know them very well.

HD333

The one time I rode at Magic Dave was one of the bright spots.
When I took a break for lunch after I went back out he realized I had been gone and asked what I had for lunch and how it was. Seems like a good good no nonsense kind of guy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lotsarocks

You know its pretty bad at magic if Dave is the bright spot. We love the guy but can't imagine him being described as such. We do tip him when the jar is out. Can't imagine what he gets paid.

slatham

Switching gears to the original question, anyone know what the heck is going on? Did Black get finished/inspected? If not, can it be done this spring or is it history? Ownership changes? Please tell me Rob and Tom have come to their senses and are willing to sell. Lord knows they've proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they cannot run a ski area. Is the "investor group" of last summer still out there? Tell me there's hope!

JoeB-Z

Switching gears to the original question, anyone know what the heck is going on? Did Black get finished/inspected? If not, can it be done this spring or is it history? Ownership changes? Please tell me Rob and Tom have come to their senses and are willing to sell. Lord knows they've proven beyond a reasonable doubt that they cannot run a ski area. Is the "investor group" of last summer still out there? Tell me there's hope!

Please- I find myself eyeballing prices, cutoff dates and driving distances for a pass at other mountains. Under current management, Magic has little viability. It breaks even in a great snow year and loses money in a bad one. There is no plan to get out of that death spiral.

Sorcerer

Work on Black has not been finished although a lot was done up to last week.
Work has to be done on the top bull wheel- bearings plus - but it can't be done until the ground dries out and they can get a crane up there. There's also other things that have to be done. As I understand it, as long as they don't "stop" working on it, they are covered - endless season. In the meantime work has stopped.

I heard there were 2 parties interested in buying the mountain. I'm sure no one is rushing to buy it while lift is still in question.

The biggest problem with Rob and Tom is that they don't realize how incompetent they are.

PS Rob's Upper Pass Lodge was sold at the Londonderry tax sale last week. I think one of his cronies actually "bought" it for taxes due. Rob has a year to pay what's due to reclaim it.

Last edited:

jrmagic

He will reclaim it just like he did the last time it went to tax sale which he used to get rid of his equity partners who brought in the capital to fully refurbish the place. Real nice guy right?

RustyGroomer

Attempting an ounce of positive here....X-post from TGR.

The annual "still skiable?" I'll go for a walk & see. Bring my skis even.

West side trees still a go.

26028648271_9206a8e3c5_b.jpg

Broomstick holding strong. I did not ski it.
26068558916_d573b6c87e_b.jpg

Skiable from the bullwheel again this year.
25491890973_d2255730bd_b.jpg

Hey, others are up here too. Magicsnowboard, MNIAW & friends.
26094484105_11577366e6_b.jpg

The Medium glacier remains......

One more. you bet. Yours truly & DoWork. Thanks for the lift Jay

12923245_10208566280612740_8398085869354432947_n.jpg

12809718_10208566280932748_7841125151333287883_n.jpg

DoWork
25821653300_c7dbcc0606_b.jpg

26028159521_f8b6511063_b.jpg

25489749404_82053dd494_b.jpg

LadyDoWork
26094479685_15a0d8e209_b.jpg

26068544956_d7c57e1934_b.jpg

25491865083_71e6ed6a9f_b.jpg

Chauffeur Jay likes it.
26028119151_d5dcbb734a_b.jpg

Somehow i'd like to think we make the best of it.

25491911693_50c4d1d0b6_b.jpg

Easter with friends on the lawn. End/
*Sry for so many pics. 1st ones i took all season i think.

26028173781_5fb788c4bd_b.jpg

26094502235_72c4ec7c7d_b.jpg

snoseek

I dont personally know any of you magic folk but i have a feeling you guys know how to have a good time!

Sent from my LG-H345 using Tapatalk