• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

JamaicaMan

I completely agree with and understand that not having the lifts already certified is not ideal. The best I can offer for right now is the truth about the counterweight and that the Red Chair will be ready to go for Opening Day, January 9th. I'll note that the crane is not a financial problem at all and that the Red Chair is in great shape otherwise.

In November we certainly had hoped we could open December 19th and be in a very different situation than we are today. The great team I work with here in the office is doing everything they can to be prepared for opening day and I know the Ops Crew is doing the same.

I'll bring up your Town Hall idea at the next managers meeting.

I'll note that I heard today that the crane will not be how the counterweight is lifted now given conditions on the ground. Suggest talking to ops more regularly...

JamaicaMan

The Red would have been ready to go had we been able to open sooner with better weather. Of course we have had one of the warmest December in history here in Vermont, which has not helped us get to that point.

Out on The Shed Deck we are waiting for a visit from The Shed's marketing team to fully outfit both levels of the deck outside Black Line Tavern. The new window bar inside was part of these upgrades and has been completed. We are excited to welcome in the brewery's team after the new year and I know they can't wait to get going.

Our new website has been delayed while the telephone system is being upgraded, which was desperately needed. We were able to launch our new online store in time for the holidays, unfortunately orders have been delayed and we do apologize for that.

I'll see if I can get the exact day the crane will be visiting Magic and get back to you guys.

The only improving being waited on for the Shed Deck is for Shed to bring in their sign to be put on the outside of the lodge with a light on it. Really guys, there is not much to this thing but glad Magic got some money for a sign to be put on the deck and string of lights. (The Red Chair thing is BS; a website has nothing to do with a telephone system--come on.)

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
yeah, explain to us how a telephone system is connected to a website?

slatham

Shane, appreciate you jumping on this forum. You do need to be careful as there are some guys who have some good info flow. And some are a bit delerious about Magic. But the more true and accurate information the better. We all know things don't always go as planned but appreciate the true inside story.

As for the faithful that have chimed in, you might want to consider cutting Shane some slack. It's more info than we've had and it is an open line of communication. I'd rather we don't lose that line of communication.

And for gods sake, THINK SNOW!

cdskier

yeah, explain to us how a telephone system is connected to a website?

If they have a one person IT department, that could certainly explain it as that one person had to refocus priorities.

magicsales

The only improving being waited on for the Shed Deck is for Shed to bring in their sign to be put on the outside of the lodge with a light on it. Really guys, there is not much to this thing but glad Magic got some money for a sign to be put on the deck and string of lights. (The Red Chair thing is BS; a website has nothing to do with a telephone system--come on.)

I understand that because of the title you once held at the mountain you have insider information from former coworkers. However, being the person that's put together The Shed's partnership with us this year I can tell you that your "source" is dead wrong on this front about just a single sign being put up. They may want to ask me about what's going on next time before sharing.

Also, the same person responsible for the telephone system is in charge of the new site and has had to divide his time between multiple projects.

To those that have come out to support us thank you, it is greatly appreciated and goes a long way.

zoomzoom

from magic's facebook page, 10/2/15:
"The Red chair is in the inspection process and it looks like it will be ready for completion in the middle of October when the power for the lifts is turned back on."

-- no one noticed until now that there is insufficient carriage and/or counterweight clearance?
-- has an evac demo been demonstated to the lift inspector?

from marketing director:
"Black needs a new bumper guard on the base station and a summit bullwheel alignment in addition to some line work."

-- how does a bullwheel go out of alignment?

Last edited:

JoeB-Z

Here's the simple deal. I paid for my pass in the summer, I expect the goddamn place to get open. I have spent money to ski elsewhere so far. Loon last week. Ragged Mountain today. From today onward, this is Magic incompetence. I expect a rebate on next years pass. Or at least a rebate on Black Friday rates lower than mid-summer for a pass?

What is wrong with this place? Layers of incompetence that need to be thrown out by the scruffs of there
necks.

If anyone would like to discuss, I include ALL my contact info below

Joe Bender-Zanoni
973-747-2116
joeb-z@comcast.net

jrmagic

I understand that because of the title you once held at the mountain you have insider information from former coworkers. However, being the person that's put together The Shed's partnership with us this year I can tell you that your "source" is dead wrong on this front about just a single sign being put up. They may want to ask me about what's going on next time before sharing.

Also, the same person responsible for the telephone system is in charge of the new site and has had to divide his time between multiple projects.

To those that have come out to support us thank you, it is greatly appreciated and goes a long way.

Hope the sign(s) are better than the lights provided.

MadMadWorld

I think all of the questions being raised are valid but why bother asking them if you are going to be a douchebag? Does anyone think they are actually helping the cause or getting closer to the truth? Having 10 people rehash the same shit over and over doesn't help.

Shane -

I have a question, will Magic be doing anything for White Out pass holders since Christmas vacation is off the table? Someone on Facebook said yes but to stay tuned. Do you have any insight to this? Will there be additional days added?

VTKilarney

from magic's facebook page, 10/2/15:
"The Red chair is in the inspection process and it looks like it will be ready for completion in the middle of October when the power for the lifts is turned back on."

-- no one noticed until now that there is insufficient carriage and/or counterweight clearance?
-- has an evac demo been demonstated to the lift inspector?

from marketing director:
"Black needs a new bumper guard on the base station and a summit bullwheel alignment in addition to some line work."

-- how does a bullwheel go out of alignment?

Isn't it possible that the inspection process found the counterweight issue?

magicsales

Our plan for White Out Pass holders is to make their passes valid for spring weekends in March. We're still finalizing that plan, should be on the website this week.

jrmagic

I think all of the questions being raised are valid but why bother asking them if you are going to be a douchebag? Does anyone think they are actually helping the cause or getting closer to the truth? Having 10 people rehash the same shit over and over doesn't help.

Shane -

I have a question, will Magic be doing anything for White Out pass holders since Christmas vacation is off the table? Someone on Facebook said yes but to stay tuned. Do you have any insight to this? Will there be additional days added?

My opinion doesn't matter for spit but some added days makes a lot more sense than any cash back if that was being considered.

MadMadWorld

Our plan for White Out Pass holders is to make their passes valid for spring weekends in March. We're still finalizing that plan, should be on the website this week.

That makes me very happy. Some mountains would probably just tell you that you are SOL

My opinion doesn't matter for spit but some added days makes a lot more sense than any cash back if that was being considered.

Better for me anyway. I prefer added terrain vs holiday vacation. I would never expect monetary compensation.

JoeB-Z

I don't know who the douchebags are. Spell them out please. However, Tom Barker seems to be running this place from somewhere in the shadows with a false promise here or there. Black lift a year ago? Hello?

I am just not going to "polite" anymore as my money swirls around the drain.

Joe

Shane -

Keelhauled

How can one possibly know enough about Magic to ski there, buy a pass, complain on online forums, and still be surprised that they struggle to open? I mean I love the mountain, but they're pretty much the most shoestring operation in the state. Lift problems are practically an annual tradition. Surely by now it should be obvious that buying a pass involves somewhat more risk than it does elsewhere.

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
They are complaining because they are being lied to and they know it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deadheadskier

Staff member
Here's a question for Shane. What happened with the sale of the mountain. Who was trying to buy it? Why did the sale fall through? People seemed very excited about a regime change.