• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

What the heck is going on at Magic?

zoomzoom

from the national B77 standard, under which lifts in vt are constructed, maintained and operated:

4.3.2.1.4 First aid
One or more persons trained to provide first aid/emergency care at the Basic Life Support (BLS) level, including CPR, shall be available at all times when an aerial lift is operating and transporting passengers. There shall be ready access to first-aid/emergency care supplies and equipment, including provisions for transporting an injured person to an enclosed and, if required, heated shelter.

mriceyman

there is no requirement for insurance, excepting worker's comp. Magic has not had any general liability insurance for many years.

What were to happen say someone got hit by a snowmobile or something of that nature and they were to get sued? They have no insurance for that? Seems impossible

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

JoeB-Z

I do, Many many times. As much as I can stand each day. Until I ski puke.

Sadly, opening this weekend is more to appease pass holders. How many people really want to ski 1 t2b trail? I hop it's warm enough for the trail to not be pure white ice. Can't wait to ski some fluffy ungroomed snow.

JoeB-Z

Did that once with my NSP dad at a Michigan resort. They had no patrol during the week. We were travelling around on a vacation and dad and 13 year old son had to treat and evacuate a compund fracture of the femur!

mtl1076

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
from the national B77 standard, under which lifts in vt are constructed, maintained and operated:

4.3.2.1.4 First aid
One or more persons trained to provide first aid/emergency care at the Basic Life Support (BLS) level, including CPR, shall be available at all times when an aerial lift is operating and transporting passengers. There shall be ready access to first-aid/emergency care supplies and equipment, including provisions for transporting an injured person to an enclosed and, if required, heated shelter.

I would just like to note that nowhere does it say that the "first aid" person needs to be NSP.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

steamboat1

attachment.php

Attachments

• dear-god-make-it-stop.jpg
    dear-god-make-it-stop.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 272

podunk77

Magic has not had any general liability insurance for many years.[/QUOTE said:
I'm not suggesting anything, but if anyone here really wants to own to a ski operation, an accident with witnesses and a reasonable claim of negligence might do the trick. :)

mbedle

I highly doubt that the land owner would allow them to operate without general liability insurance. I'll also add that I like the FB comments posing behind a thin vail of "faithful and supporters" being ripped to shreds words later with wanted to know the price of tickets this weekend so they can make plans. In other words, we are faithful and supporters, as long as it doesn't cost a lot of money! Classic.

UYSDYP

Yah its a lot to ask, what are your prices and will you be open on Saturday. It sure is a lot to ask of a business. A quick call to the vt tram people will tell a much different story than what their posts in Facebook say. They have 1 day to pull a rabbit out of the hat. Hopefully they do. Maybe we will all get lucky and it will finally dump and we'll laugh at all the bitching and backseat driving. Or maybe they can't open and miss yet another opening day.

BlueTrails

I highly doubt that the land owner would allow them to operate without general liability insurance. I'll also add that I like the FB comments posing behind a thin vail of "faithful and supporters" being ripped to shreds words later with wanted to know the price of tickets this weekend so they can make plans. In other words, we are faithful and supporters, as long as it doesn't cost a lot of money! Classic.

The operator is a land owner. The premium for a ski area is not cheap given that a ski area is a place where people do nothing but 'slip and fall'. The back of your ticket has a nice release which you 'sign' upon purchase.

And 'opening day' at Magic can be quite an adventure conditions wise. The refund line usually starts forming around 10am.

UYSDYP

In all fairness the tram board acknowledges that they are working with TB. But as of yesterday red was not ready to go.

VTKilarney

I'll also add that I like the FB comments posing behind a thin vail [sic] of "faithful and supporters" being ripped to shreds words later with wanted to know the price of tickets this weekend so they can make plans. In other words, we are faithful and supporters, as long as it doesn't cost a lot of money! Classic.
You actually blame someone for wanting to know how much it will cost to ski a single WROD on MLK weekend? Faithfulness doesn't equal stupidity.

VTKilarney

In all fairness the tram board acknowledges that they are working with TB. But as of yesterday red was not ready to go.

Even if they get it certified today, this just shows how completely incompetent management has become.

UYSDYP

I don't mind the incompetence as much as I mind the lying they make it near impossible to make plans to visit their establishment

farlep99

You actually blame someone for wanting to know how much it will cost to ski a single WROD on MLK weekend? Faithfulness doesn't equal stupidity.

Agree- that's odd to criticize someone for wanting to know the price. The most 'faithful' own passes. There are others who would like to support the mountain, but is it reasonable to charge full price for 1 trail? I'd argue no and I think most would agree

mbedle

No - what I mean is if you truly want to support this business, you should, in fact, what to pay whatever price is necessary to keep this business open. If that price happens to be full boat, than you should be willing to pay that. Again to support this business.

VTKilarney

No - what I mean is if you truly want to support this business, you should, in fact, what to pay whatever price is necessary to keep this business open. If that price happens to be full boat, than you should be willing to pay that. Again to support this business.
That's absurd. This isn't a charity. I'll say it again - being a supporter does not mean being stupid.

Frankly, a business that is incapable of delivering a fair product at a fair price does not deserve support.