• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

Hawk

all good - i saw them last month at brooklyn bowl with bob weir sitting in, and i am seeing them on a Thursday this summer in NYC on a rooftop pier just south of the bk bridge. plenty of jrad for me locally.

is leader bank the former boa pavilion? cool venue.

it's very much BUY CONCERT TICKETS season.

coming up - disco biscuits tonight, four tet in may, hot chip in june, dmb in june, LCD in june, jrad in july, possibly newport jazz in aug, sigur ros with 40 piece orchestra in aug, ween in sept, black coffee msg rave October. probably missing things.
yup. It has changed names a couple of times. That whole seaport area is now build up with hotels, bars and resturaunts. Right down the street from my office. I might go.

jimmywilson69

its insane the number of horrible decisions and misfortunes they have experienced. its the recurring reason why they never broke thru and graduated into larger venues. most notably was jon punching a paper towel dispenser and breaking his wrist in 2010 on the eve of a ~50 show tour and a mainstage set at Ultra Miami

but we also have jon falling thru a vent and breaking his leg, sammy walking thru a plate glass window, allen inhaling some sort of construction dust causing him to miss the entire new years run one year, marc being kicked out of the band for 6 months in 2000. it goes on and on and on.
They certainly are pieces of work... I thought I had heard that Barber was basically independently wealthy due to some investment and the bad was just a way to "work" Kudos to them for somehow keeping it going I guess.

BodeMiller1

Looks like most plaintiffs are not from the U.S. ; this doesn't go anywhere,

- No standing (not from the U.S.). Just because you lose your investment doesn't mean someone or a state is at fault. This is like taking financial advice from a ski blog. :oops:
- It's impolite to ask for help then be a jerk.
- This gets tossed and the investors will pay the tab for generating all of the paperwork (maybe) and court costs (maybe not).

This reminds me of when Milo Pike sued the State of New Hampshire for not protecting his interest in banks stocks.
Sour Grapes

The State of Vermont is delaying in order to drive up legal bills and such.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Last edited:

BodeMiller1

In some weird way, he’s not wrong. Well I should say I guess I see the logic.

Assuming they sniffed out a fraud sometime after the stuff started getting built, it is inherently better to see that project completed rather than completely destroy the only economic engines of the NEK.

I do think people often forget EB5 was effectively a VISA buying program. The investment was permanent US residency.
This was a Federal program, then the states ran it? Follow the money does not always work, butt in white collar crime that's where it's at.

I take my hat off to The Administration who thunk this up. What a great way to bring in Mafia from all over the world to Vermont.. Because you know once in the United States they will "play by the rules". 🐈🐱

thetrailboss

Staff member
Looks like most plaintiffs are not from the U.S. ; this doesn't go anywhere,

- No standing (not from the U.S.). Just because you lose your investment doesn't mean someone or a state is at fault. This is like taking financial advice from a ski blog. :oops:
- It's impolite to ask for help then be a jerk.
- This gets tossed and the investors will pay the tab for generating all of the paperwork (maybe) and court costs (maybe not).

This reminds me of when Milo Pike sued the State of New Hampshire for not protecting his interest in banks stocks.
Sour Grapes

The State of Vermont is delaying in order to drive up legal bills and such.
It will be interesting to see how it plays out.

This was a Federal program, then the states ran it? Follow the money does not always work, butt in white collar crime that's where it's at.

I take my hat off to The Administration who thunk this up. What a great way to bring in Mafia from all over the world to Vermont.. Because you know once in the United States they will "play by the rules". 🐈🐱

As usual, you are way off. Meow.

BodeMiller1

As usual, you are way off. Meow.
So you you think they will get all of their "investment" back? Or, even part of it.

The people of Vermont who pay taxes (including skiers (we pay a lot to the state)), should pick up the bill?

Courts are predictable.

BenedictGomez

Federal regulators in 2016 said the Jay Peak projects were a sham.

Benedict Gomez in 2011 on AlpineZone said the Jay Peak projects were a sham.

And that more than anything else should tell you how absurd this is given I had ZERO access to State of Vermont's financial data. Just some guy with a barely passing accounting background who took a few hours to look into this & realized with strong conviction that the whole thing was obviously total bull****.

Smellytele

Benedict Gomez in 2011 on AlpineZone said the Jay Peak projects were a sham.

And that more than anything else should tell you how absurd this is given I had ZERO access to State of Vermont's financial data. Just some guy with a barely passing accounting background who took a few hours to look into this & realized with strong conviction that the whole thing was obviously total bull****.
What a tool talking about himself in the third person

Edd

I’m pretty sure I was bullish on JP/Burke improvements and the situation as a whole way back when. Still shake my head at “QBurke”. Can you believe that happened?

Different situations, but I was also keen on the Mittersill expansion at Cannon (on the fence about that but Cannon regulars have more developed opinions) and Vail acquiring Wildcat (improvements, right?🤦).

Even Arctaris acquiring Saddleback isn’t a slam dunk yet. It’s great today, but not sure how this ends.

I just look at these things without the wide-eyed optimism I used to and feel a bit foolish in hindsight, but live and learn.

Smellytele

It was a syntax comment playing with how the article's sentence was written.

You'll understand it once you look up what the word, "syntax" means.
You are the smartest man in the world and I look up to you as the all knowing omnipresence.
You'll understand it once you look up what the word, "omnipresence" means.
Actually as the all knowing omnipresence you already know what that means.

RH29

Skiing/riding ends at 2 PM. Blah.

RH29

As much as I want to be on mountain for the eclipse I think there is a high chance that everywhere in NoVT and NY will be covered in clouds as is typical in Spring.
I'm learning more towards Burke which is less socked in and has rates for $163 a night in their hotel.

BenedictGomez

I should have booked 100 hotel rooms many months ago. I was early on this to the point the woman said, "is there something special about that date", we've had other people ask for that so far in advance. LOL. As ThatGuy notes, it's a real crapshoot that it will even be that big of a deal given weather, but if it happens to be a clear day it will be spectacular. If not? Pretty big disappointment ensues.