• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

AdironRider

The receiver has a pretty different opinion obviously, and knows more about all of this than any of us.

machski

The receiver has a pretty different opinion obviously, and knows more about all of this than any of us.
Agreed. I doubt any of us know the true depths of dirty hands here, but I do believe Bill only had the best intentions for both Jay and Burke. He may have made a pact with a devil to get there and then tried to obfuscate that truth to keep moving both areas forward which can't be forgiven. But I think he has valuable insight for the Receiver into both resorts and how to move forward now with the Burke sale.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Agreed. I doubt any of us know the true depths of dirty hands here, but I do believe Bill only had the best intentions for both Jay and Burke. He may have made a pact with a devil to get there and then tried to obfuscate that truth to keep moving both areas forward which can't be forgiven. But I think he has valuable insight for the Receiver into both resorts and how to move forward now with the Burke sale.
I’m not aware of any progress with the Burke sale. Anyone have any insight?

machski

I’m not aware of any progress with the Burke sale. Anyone have any insight?
Nope. Stuart did ask Jon Shaffer if he was in on Burke. Shaffer said not really, he is a connected friend but firmly on the sidelines currently. Said while a Stalking Horse bid is supposedly up, the process is ill defined right now unlike how Jay went.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Nope. Stuart did ask Jon Shaffer if he was in on Burke. Shaffer said not really, he is a connected friend but firmly on the sidelines currently. Said while a Stalking Horse bid is supposedly up, the process is ill defined right now unlike how Jay went.
Wow. That changed. The Shaffers were one of the partners that put the initial bid down.

thetrailboss

Staff member
For Burke? Not according to what Jon just said on the Storm Skiing Podcast.
Yep. According to my sources they joined two BMA families. That was back in June. I also know that the receiver wants to sell the resort as one piece and that is deterring interest.

machski

Yep. According to my sources they joined two BMA families. That was back in June.
He said his wife has close ties and friendships up there and he is an interested observer. But that was it, said whoever buys it will likely overspend and encounter a ton of road locks/red tape to take it where it would need to go to succeed. For now, he said he was on the outside looking in from afar.

thetrailboss

Staff member
He said his wife has close ties and friendships up there and he is an interested observer. But that was it, said whoever buys it will likely overspend and encounter a ton of road locks/red tape to take it where it would need to go to succeed. For now, he said he was on the outside looking in from afar.
Very interesting. Sounds like someone who is more than a casual observer IMHO.

AdironRider

Vermont is currently preoccupied trying to figure out a way to keep a bunch of homeless and drug addicts posted up in hotels for going on 4 years (at hundreds of dollars per night), so they clearly don't need the money. The least they can do is nut up for the immigrants they promised everything was kosher to.

BenedictGomez

Vermont is currently preoccupied trying to figure out a way to keep a bunch of homeless and drug addicts posted up in hotels for going on 4 years (at hundreds of dollars per night), so they clearly don't need the money. The least they can do is nut up for the immigrants they promised everything was kosher to.

Dont forget all the hoards of foreigh immigrants who havent been EB-5 scammed who are getting a lovely free ride thanks to the paychecks of Vermont residents.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Take a look at the thread where I mention the real reason why OGX is laying off folks.....

KustyTheKlown

spent 12/26-31 in burlington and went out downtown a few times at night. there are a few crusty gutterpunk wook types, but big LOLz at anyone claiming the end of the world in burlington vermont. step into any real city and you'll realize burlington is idyllic and has a few mostly harmless homeless whackos milling around. there was a pretty interesting nytimes article about persistent bike theft in btv. if bike theft is the worst of it, ya got it ok.

kingslug

I hang out there frequently.
When I hear about daytime shootings down the block from where I am...that concerns me. It's nuttier than you think. I won't hang around at night...

BenedictGomez

spent 12/26-31 in burlington and went out downtown a few times at night. there are a few crusty gutterpunk wook types, but big LOLz at anyone claiming the end of the world in burlington vermont. step into any real city and you'll realize burlington is idyllic and has a few mostly harmless homeless whackos milling around. there was a pretty interesting nytimes article about persistent bike theft in btv. if bike theft is the worst of it, ya got it ok.

Burlington is far worse than it used to be, I lived there for over 6 years and never saw grafitti. It's everywhere now. Crime is far worse too. And the "harmless homeless whacko" population has exploded. Comparing Burlington to St. Louis or Detroit really isnt the point, the point is that Burlington clearly eroded in recent years.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Burlington is far worse than it used to be, I lived there for over 6 years and never saw grafitti. It's everywhere now. Crime is far worse too. And the "harmless homeless whacko" population has exploded. Comparing Burlington to St. Louis or Detroit really isnt the point, the point is that Burlington clearly eroded in recent years.
Agreed. I think the fact that OGX estimates that they have lost $500,000 due to retail theft in one year at their downtown BTV store is simply insane. I can't see a small retailer surviving that level of theft for long.