Jay Peak bombshell - Page 150

AlpineZone

Page 150 of 151 FirstFirst ... 50100140148149150151 LastLast
Results 1,491 to 1,500 of 1501
    Quote Originally Posted by fbrissette View Post
    This is completely out of my area of expertise, but I would assume that before an offer is formally submitted, there's gotta be lots of informal discussions. I can't help but wonder if they were too greedy to begin with. By all accounts, a profitable resort with mostly new infrastructures (not talking about the ski lifts here) should be an easy sale, especially during the current consolidation period.
    Yes, this is a good point.

I'm too busy to look it up right now, but I believe they were rumored to be asking for a multiple of something like 10x, whereas I think something closer to 6x is more typical in the industry. I just remember thinking, "pfffftttt"..... when I read the rumored asking price.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    The trails yes not so with the woods/trees.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone
    That is not necessarily true either. I've gone to Jay thinking they would get the goods, they didn't and the woods were rock solid ice moguls. Not much fun at all that day in particular and I've had others the woods didn't really deliver on at Jay. It is a mountain that has to be timed correctly to have a great experience, even the woods. That is a tough spot for a distant "resort" area which is what the asking price makes Jay. It's lack of Snowmaking ability to recover for inclement New England weather o think is a major hole in getting the asking price they are for it, regardless of all the side extras they have.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

Jay may seem like it’s in the middle of nowhere, but its proximity to Montreal should not be underestimated, especially when you realize how small many of the Laurentian resorts are.

Off topic/ Bousquet was sold today

Would post this in its own thread, but don’t know how, Bousquet ski area in Pittsfield was sold to mill town partners, and Berkshire East will operate the ski area, Bousquet will be on the Berkshire summit pass, which includes Berkshire East and catamount.

Quote Originally Posted by gregnye View Post
    They've been trying for 3 years to sell it and no one wants Jay. Perhaps Vermont could make it state-run like Cannon?

A Cannon-Jay-Burke pass would be sweet. One can dream

I could see the skiing of Jay being state-run like Cannon, with amenities (hotels, waterparks, etc.) contracted out like the National Park service does for their hotels, bus services and restaurants within their parks.
    Two different states!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    Jay may seem like it’s in the middle of nowhere, but its proximity to Montreal should not be underestimated, especially when you realize how small many of the Laurentian resorts are.
    I agree with this. With the huge caveat that Jay's proximity to Montreal should not be overestimated either.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by Cobbold View Post
    Would post this in its own thread, but don’t know how, Bousquet ski area in Pittsfield was sold to mill town partners, and Berkshire East will operate the ski area, Bousquet will be on the Berkshire summit pass, which includes Berkshire East and catamount.
    It's easy to start new thread:

Instead of going into existing thread on website
    Just click POST NEW THREAD
    And write what u want
    I guess I started a few over the years lol
    Last edited by ScottySkis; May 30, 2020 at 2:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    I agree with this. With the huge caveat that Jay's proximity to Montreal should not be overestimated either.
    To your latter point, Tremblant is marginally closer, consistently ranked higher as a resort, and no border crossing. Jay is probably the third or fourth option at best for the Montreal skier.

The receiver screwed up by demanding top tier resort money for a second rate option. At least he knew Burke was a boat anchor that will lose money and said as much.

I think the investors better get comfortable being ski resort owners. Their best best to get their money back is to harvest profits if they can.
    Live Free or Die
    137 days 08-09
    16 days 09-10

If only Bill Stenger knew about the fraud. He could have done something!

Quote Originally Posted by VTKilarney View Post
    If only Bill Stenger knew about the fraud. He could have done something!
    Not to sound stupid, but who is bill Stenger?

Thread Information