• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

fbrissette

I was skiing solo at Jay a few years ago and found myself on the chair with a couple from Montreal. We started talking and I asked why they prefer Jay to Tremblant. Their response was (spoken with a French-Canadian accent) that "at Tremblant, they think their shit doesn't smell."

Funny. Wasn't my wife and I.

You'll see at Tremblant: lots of fancy ski suits (Spyder, Descente) with top of the line Slalom ski and boots (on good AND shitty skiers)
You won't see at Tremblant: ski jackets repaired with duct tape, full rockered fat skis, stoned lifties

BenedictGomez

RE: deals, the CAD/USD is going to put a hurt on Jay Peak this winter; currently sitting at .77 USD. They haven't had to deal with a Canuck dollar this weak in many years.

steamboat1

Funny. Wasn't my wife and I.

You'll see at Tremblant: lots of fancy ski suits (Spyder, Descente) with top of the line Slalom ski and boots (on good AND shitty skiers)
You won't see at Tremblant: ski jackets repaired with duct tape, full rockered fat skis, stoned lifties
Must be something about Intrawest ownership, Stratton is the same way.

fbrissette

RE: deals, the CAD/USD is going to put a hurt on Jay Peak this winter; currently sitting at .77 USD. They haven't had to deal with a Canuck dollar this weak in many years.

They do take canadian money at par (with proof of residency) on many items so it may not impact canadian visitors that much. But it will hurt Jay peak's wallet for sure in the end no matter what. It is hurting condo resale big time however.

BenedictGomez

They do take canadian money at par (with proof of residency) on many items so it may not impact canadian visitors that much. But it will hurt Jay peak's wallet for sure in the end no matter what.

That's what I was referring to.

But are you 100% sure they check for proof of Canadian citizenship prior to accepting CAD as legal tender? They didn't used to do that (and I'm not sure if it's legal to do so if they currently are).

dlague

But are you 100% sure they check for proof of Canadian citizenship prior to accepting CAD as legal tender? They didn't used to do that (and I'm not sure if it's legal to do so if they currently are).

When we skied there in the early 2000s when the US currency was strong we tried paying with Canadian $s and they wanted proof that we were from Canada. We ended up having some folks from Montreal buy our lift tickets.

fbrissette

Never been asked for ID. Same for my wife who speaks flawless English (no French accent). We look like honest people I guess.

VTKilarney

I am curious as to why it might not be legal. I know that Disney World, for example, offers a season pass rate that is only valid for Florida residents. Lots of ski areas offer promotions to locals only. It seems like a common practice.

dlague

I am curious as to why it might not be legal. I know that Disney World, for example, offers a season pass rate that is only valid for Florida residents. Lots of ski areas offer promotions to locals only. It seems like a common practice.

Burke used to have deals targeted to Quebec residents in an effort to draw more skiers from that area. I told them they should to the same to draw from Boston region then.

JPTracker

Nothing has moved as of yet for the rec center. They fenced the construction area two months ago but it has not started. I would assume that they will delay the project once again.

I heard that when they dug the hole for the foundation they hit a lot of water. That hole has been there for two months and the dirt reseeded. My guess is they had to at least redesign the foundation.

Anybody hear anything else about it?

LONGBOARDR

I heard that when they dug the hole for the foundation they hit a lot of water. That hole has been there for two months and the dirt reseeded. My guess is they had to at least redesign the foundation.

Anybody hear anything else about it?

I heard the same thing...off the record in a local watering hole.
Not surprising, there is so much water there and numerous artesian wells on the mtn

steamboat1

Sounds like it might be a good year to head up to QC again. Little ways to go seeing my bucks worth about $1.28. Last time I was up there it was worth $1.38.

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

I'm not sure at all that it's not legal, I just find it odd and think it possible it may not be legal. Conceptually, there's a big difference between offering a discount to people from a given area, and discriminating against the form of legal tender that may be accepted by people from a given area. The former is simply a discount by region, the latter is the specie you'll do commerce with (or not) due to region. It might be perfectly legal, and I have no idea that it isnt, but when I was young and poor, I bought Jay Peak lift tickets a few times in CAD, and like fbrissette was never asked if I was a Canuck. Knew others that did too, and never heard them say they were questioned either.

The USD was worth less than the CAD 2 years ago.

Which is good for Jay Peak.

Sounds like it might be a good year to head up to QC again. Little ways to go seeing my bucks worth about $1.28. Last time I was up there it was worth $1.38.

I remember going to Lake Louise when $1 USD was about $1.65 CAD.

You paid for a pitcher of beer with a $20 bill and got a pitcher of beer and a $20 bill back. Good times!

VTKilarney

A GAO report has come out that is VERY damning of EB-5.

Some highlights from a recent article:
As of May 2015, the Securities and Exchange Commission and other federal law enforcement agencies had 59 open investigations relating to EB-5 projects, 35 of which “primarily involved securities fraud issues,” according to the report.

… In its report, the GAO raises concerns about the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services’ ability to keep up with “constantly evolving” schemes to defraud investors. …The GAO also questions USCIS’ methodology for tracking the number of jobs created through the program.

Stenger, ever the optimist, "welcomed" the GAO report.

Full article here: http://www.sevendaysvt.com/OffMessa...ys-feds-investigating-dozens-of-eb-5-projects

BenedictGomez

The GAO didn't seem to worry about the government's own "methodology for tracking the number of jobs created through" the economic stimulus program a few years ago. What a total **** show that was. The pot calling the kettle black isn't a strong enough phrase to use here.

JPTracker

The new condos are all being built and are all EB-5 funded AFAIK. Condo resale is very slow which is not surprising the value of the canadian dollar.

Nothing has moved as of yet for the rec center. They fenced the construction area two months ago but it has not started. I would assume that they will delay the project once again.

Heard a new rumor regarding the rec center and new condos. Rumor has it that DEW has walked off the job in disputes over not getting paid. They are only staying to complete the condos that have already been started.

LONGBOARDR

Heard a new rumor regarding the rec center and new condos. Rumor has it that DEW has walked off the job in disputes over not getting paid. They are only staying to complete the condos that have already been started.

I heard the same rumor with payments in arrears of 800k+.
They were back on the job as of late last week when I was biking by.
Not a good sign.