• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

VTKilarney

Interesting. I guess I take things for granted because I am regularly in Canada. I was there just yesterday for lunch during a 1.5 hour break while on business in Newport. There is a fantastic little bakery in Stanstead.

But you also could stop at any bank in northern Vermont to exchange dollars. That's where I'm surprised that people would not get their Canadian dollars.

I fully agree that crossing the border is more of a pain that it was pre-9/11. I have a NEXUS card but the hours during which you can use it are VERY limited where I cross. 3-5 pm going into Canada and not at all returning into the United States. But it's half the price of Global Entry and you get all of the Global Entry benefits as well as TSA pre-check.

Last edited:

AdironRider

Cheaper based on alcohol by volume. Its like moonshine up there dontcha know.

BenedictGomez

How many people are going to go out of the way to CAD to save a couple bucks on a lift ticket? I suspect the number is minimal.

Many.

We used to do it all the time when we were young and poor living in Burlington. Lots of people did it.

I'm not quite sure what you are asking, but if you are asking how many Americans would pay in Canadian to get the at-par deal, I am willing to bet that the number would be very high. If you are going to Jay Peak, it's not that hard to pop across the border to get cash out of an ATM. And the local Vermont banks all convert American to Canadian - albeit at a worse rate than an ATM.

Nobody pops across the border, you just want into a bank in n.VT and get Canadian cash. Or, do as I did and just keep some CAD from the numerous times I was frequently in Montreal.

If we are talking beer.... that's another story. Go to Canada to buy better, cheaper beer. I did that 2 weeks ago. lol.

There's much better beer in America now, this country has had a brewing revolution the last 15 years, and I'd dare say we probably have better beer options than anywhere on the planet at this point. I still havent even gotten to all the fantastic microbrews and limited output shops I want to try, and hell, even the big boys have some awesome beers now via acquisitions.

steamboat1

Just go to Canada & pay on your credit/debit card. You'll beat any exchange rate you'll get at a bank. Need Canadian cash? Take a cash advance on your credit/debit card, you'll beat the bank exchange rate. Sometimes by as much as 10%

Last edited:

fbrissette

I
I fully agree that crossing the border is more of a pain that it was pre-9/11. I have a NEXUS card but the hours during which you can use it are VERY limited where I cross. 3-5 pm going into Canada and not at all returning into the United States. But it's half the price of Global Entry and you get all of the Global Entry benefits as well as TSA pre-check.

Depends where you cross. For most major road I agree. I either cross at Frelisghburg (East Franklin) or the Pinnacle crossing (Richford) and there is no car 90% of the time. Only twice in 6 years have I seem more than 2 cars in front of me. Not always convenient depending on where you are going, but a detour through these smaller border crossings is usually worth it, NEXUS or NO-NEXUS.

Jully

Nobody pops across the border, you just want into a bank in n.VT and get Canadian cash. Or, do as I did and just keep some CAD from the numerous times I was frequently in Montreal.

Not sure if the crossings are any different in VT, but in NE Maine kids literally go bowling in Canada on a regular basis in towns like Calais. I agree going to an American bank would be a lot easier though.

deadheadskier

Staff member
How many people are going to go out of the way to CAD to save a couple bucks on a lift ticket? I suspect the number is minimal.

As BG said, nobody went across the border as it was more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. You just went down to the local Chittenden bank and exchanged some cash.

Every college student I knew in Burlington would do this to save money while skiing at Jay. I'm sure the same was true for Johnson and Lyndon State students too. And following college while ski bumming in Stowe we would still take advantage of the deal.

dlague

I come from a border town in VT and much of my relatives still live up there and crossing really is not that bad. We go to Sherbrooke and Magog often when we are up there.

The locals have it even easier!

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

AdironRider

As BG said, nobody went across the border as it was more of a pain in the ass than it was worth. You just went down to the local Chittenden bank and exchanged some cash.

Every college student I knew in Burlington would do this to save money while skiing at Jay. I'm sure the same was true for Johnson and Lyndon State students too. And following college while ski bumming in Stowe we would still take advantage of the deal.

You guys sure know how to read.

I already said locals are probably all over it, but something tells me Jay isn't living and dying on some broke college kids getting some loonies.

For the customer that they make money on, I highly doubt they are going out of their way to a bank to do an exchange, to save 20% on a lift ticket, and even less of a percentage on lodging.

deadheadskier

Staff member
Did you say it in the text I quoted above? Don't assume people read every post in a thread. I did not read your comments on locals.

mbedle

Sorry about the bump, and maybe this has already been mentioned. Have any of you ever read Steve Wright's responses to bad TripAdvisor reviews on Jay Peak Resort. Holly shit, this guy is a legend for calling bullshit!!!!

River19

Sorry about the bump, and maybe this has already been mentioned. Have any of you ever read Steve Wright's responses to bad TripAdvisor reviews on Jay Peak Resort. Holly shit, this guy is a legend for calling bullshit!!!!

I nearly cried reading some of those......holy crap that is funny, the hockey kids one is priceless....

abc

Did anyone watch last night's PBS evening piece on how Jay Peak build much of the new infrastructure using the "investor visa" to raise the capital?