• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

Jcb890

Again,weird.Never heard this one before.

"The Flyer will be closed today due to snowmaking at higher elevations"

Since when do they care? Especially on a random early season Monday?

A very strange reason, but like BG said, with it being an early season Monday they are probably putting a little less effort into getting all of the lifts up and running. That is certainly a disappointing response though.

I think I'll be heading up to Jay Tuesday night to ride Wednesday and Thursday... it seems like they should be getting a little more snow around that time. I sent them an FB message and they said The Flyer should be open tomorrow or Wednesday at the latest, but that the Tram would not be open. They are hoping for next week with the Tram.

Zermatt

It's Wednesday...any updates on the Tram? Last I heard was this week, but its been a few days since they have said anything.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
Sound/Fury

Greetings all--A few operational updates--Flyer is running this am. We didn't run it Monday/Tuesday because of the amount of snowmaking along Goat (it needed it desperately). We almost never run The Flyer when we're making snow in that section but we generally can accomplish what we need to in 24 hours. Took us 48 to put it back together after last Sunday's rain/mix. We've moved snowmaking to the Northway and we're going to stay on for plus/minus 96 hours or until temps knock us. It needs 4 days and until that's finished, no Bonnie. Right now it's looking like we'll get the Bonnie either Christmas Day or the 26th. It's my expectation that the Tram will open for the season this Saturday the 24th. Apply standard disclaimers. Apologies if you end up asking follow up questions and I miss them as I'm not here often. Hit me at swright@jaypeakresort.com and I'm happy to tell you what I know.

Hope you all have a good holiday.

steve

It's Wednesday...any updates on the Tram? Last I heard was this week, but its been a few days since they have said anything.

dlague

Greetings all--A few operational updates--Flyer is running this am. We didn't run it Monday/Tuesday because of the amount of snowmaking along Goat (it needed it desperately). We almost never run The Flyer when we're making snow in that section but we generally can accomplish what we need to in 24 hours. Took us 48 to put it back together after last Sunday's rain/mix. We've moved snowmaking to the Northway and we're going to stay on for plus/minus 96 hours or until temps knock us. It needs 4 days and until that's finished, no Bonnie. Right now it's looking like we'll get the Bonnie either Christmas Day or the 26th. It's my expectation that the Tram will open for the season this Saturday the 24th. Apply standard disclaimers. Apologies if you end up asking follow up questions and I miss them as I'm not here often. Hit me at swright@jaypeakresort.com and I'm happy to tell you what I know.

Hope you all have a good holiday.

steve
Goat always seems to be problematic due to early season refreezing and wind. The quick turn after the flat catches people off guard all the time and as a result gets very scrapped off. Good luck with that.

Sounds like a bit of a rough start but it appears as though next week JP will be in the clear and smooth sailing hopefully.

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

fbrissette

Goat always seems to be problematic due to early season refreezing and wind. The quick turn after the flat catches people off guard all the time and as a result gets very scrapped off. Good luck with that.

Sounds like a bit of a rough start but it appears as though next week JP will be in the clear and smooth sailing hopefully.

The goat is a trap for beginners and intermediate skiers. Never ski the goat. There is no good reason to ski that icy stretch unless there is no other way (e.g. very early or late in the season).

As to the rough start, I beg to disagree. Till Sunday, December has had some of the best skiing ever at Jay. And with the Bonnie, Freezer and Tram not operating, there was endless powder to be had if you were willing to earn your turns.

MG Skier

If you have ever hiked up Goat, it is quite steep and very open to the wind. I always try to ski it early in the day or spring only. Tough area to blow snow on I imagine!!!

BenedictGomez

The goat is a trap for beginners and intermediate skiers. Never ski the goat. There is no good reason to ski that icy stretch unless there is no other way (e.g. very early or late in the season).

Other than poor condition days, Canuck school break is the only time I've specifically avoided it. It's like the poor skier equivalent of Los Angeles traffic.

dlague

Other than poor condition days, Canuck school break is the only time I've specifically avoided it. It's like the poor skier equivalent of Los Angeles traffic.

The Intersection with Lower Can Am/Taxi can be dicey too! In all my trips to Jay last year I don't think I took the Flyer once!

Vermonter!
All three are traps for intermediates. Vermonter is narrower and on high traffic days with lots of fresh it gets bumped up a bit and total chaos ensues. I very rarely ski from the Tram, when I do the. A couple runs to hit Valhalla or Green Beret.

Taxi is terrible because people are afraid to let it go down Angles Wiggle then many snowplow their way through there and around the end around CanAm people stop for some reason like they are lost.

Goat as mentioned earlier, can get busy and then at the first turn which is almost always icy people become panic struck bowling balls and the next turn is often bumped up throwing people everywhere.

The last two are trails I avoid. Those are the two main trails to get from Stateside (Bonnie). I would rather ski to Stateside base and then take the Taxi Quad to get back to Tram Side.

BenedictGomez

The Intersection with Lower Can Am/Taxi can be dicey too! In all my trips to Jay last year I don't think I took the Flyer once!

Never took the Flyer? I use the Flyer more than any other lift.

It's the Tram I can literally go days-and-days at Jay without using.

MG Skier

Never took the Flyer? I use the Flyer more than any other lift.

It's the Tram I can literally go days-and-days at Jay without using.

Maybe I should be more specific.....The Flyer wasnt running ....Wind, Wind, Lift wasn't running, midweek, again no one on the mountain not running, then in the spring it wasn't running (At least the days I was there).

It has been a season or two since I was last in Andres. Couldn't get up there this month. I heard it was outrageous!!!