• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

Tin

+1 also. With respect to Jay, the current lift situation is an undeniable shitshow.

It's always a shit show. "Only sold 70 tickets today, shut down the upper mountain lifts due to _________". Any midweek day you decide to drive up it is a gamble. The fact that ski patrol and other staff openly talk about their little policy amazes me.

When you consider yourself a resort and don't get your main/only HSQ inspected until mid December, the same week as places like Magic, there is an issue.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
It's always a shit show. "Only sold 70 tickets today, shut down the upper mountain lifts due to _________". Any midweek day you decide to drive up it is a gamble. The fact that ski patrol and other staff openly talk about there little policy amazes me.

When you consider yourself a resort and don't get your main/only HSQ inspected until mid December, the same week as places like Magic, there is an issue.

Two things: first, I always suspected that Jay and another 'Central Vermont Resort' had "moneyholds" for their lifts. Jay more so than others. They rarely get called out for it though.

Second, as to the HSQ inspection, I'd imagine that this year is a rare exception because of the Q Shit Show and a receiver from Florida trying to run it as best as he can. So I give them a pass this year.

FWIW Burke is operating pretty nicely....not too many issues there. Snowmaking and lifts are going pretty nicely. Hearing good reviews of the Hotel.

Tin

Second, as to the HSQ inspection, I'd imagine that this year is a rare exception because of the Q Shit Show and a receiver from Florida trying to run it as best as he can. So I give them a pass this year.

FWIW Burke is operating pretty nicely....not too many issues there. Snowmaking and lifts are going pretty nicely. Hearing good reviews of the Hotel.

Can definitely concede on that point about the Flyer.

Very very happy to see Burke and the community recovering well and grabbing the ski team venue spot.

benski

Does the receiver have any background in skiing? I assume he at least skis but unless he is originally from the Northeast I doubt he has skied on the East Coast.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Can definitely concede on that point about the Flyer.

Very very happy to see Burke and the community recovering well and grabbing the ski team venue spot.

Yes, it is surprising though that the situation with the lifts at Jay are so messed up. Can someone on the ground confirm if JPR had been skimping on lift maintenance over the last few years? The Tram excepted. It seems like they were ignoring the needs of that lift and pushing off major upgrades that are now needed.

Lift maintenance is so boring compared to Land Rovers and Condos in NYC.

dlague

A new bombshell of sorts:

In an attempt to try and manage what are understandably high expectations, this is what we have for you this weekend with respect to snow/lifts trails. Snow: A lot of it (I shoveled it all day, I know), 16-18” in the past 24 hours, still bombing now and 50”+ this week. Lifts: Our Tram is getting some repair work on its cable and, as such, will not roll this week. We’re still expecting it the week of December 19th. As a result of repair work on the Tram cable, we can’t run the Bonnie, although we do plan to have it sometime next week along with the Flyer that is scheduled to be inspected then as well. We’ll have the Jet accessing everything we have on Stateside along with the Taxi and moving carpet. We wish we had more uphill capacity for this weekend but what you find here, you’re going to enjoy. For another piece of perspective, this time last year we had one lift and one run with what snow we could scrape together. To say the least, we are extremely grateful for this strong start to the season, and we look forward to seeing Passholders at our Passholder appreciation party tomorrow; 4p in the IR. Travel safely all.

Sincerely,
Steve Wright | GM

Sent from my SM-G930P using AlpineZone mobile app

Posted in this thread on Dec 9th and discussed repeatedly since!

Out of curiosity, why do you say that?

Apparently you have been out of the loop. :dontknow:

VTKilarney

You jinxed us. There was an article in today's paper saying that Burke can't pay its electric bill arrears with the Citibank funds. Apparently the funds are spread too thin as it is. They are offering to pay $40,000 out of the $400,000 that is owed. They missed a $100,000 payment in November.

thetrailboss

Staff member
You jinxed us. There was an article in today's paper saying that Burke can't pay its electric bill arrears with the Citibank funds. Apparently the funds are spread too thin as it is. They are offering to pay $40,000 out of the $400,000 that is owed. They missed a $100,000 payment in November.

Yeah the lifts and snowmaking work great but that power bill is an issue. ;)

Damn that sucks.

Sent from my iPad using AlpineZone

Jcb890

I was up at Jay Peak the past 2 days with friends. Wednesday was half-way decent and the snow was soft enough to push around, so it was fun. Not much open, groomed out or ready even though they had claimed to be done with snow making with what would seem to be enough time to open things up. Yesterday everyone won with a good 5+ inches and 6-8 in some spots. It was fantastic.

That being said... yesterday the Flyer was delayed and didn't open until around 11. It ran smoothly the day before, so why the delay? Throughout the day Wednesday I saw 1 groomer working around The Flyer's trails. I've seen Wachusett work harder to groom their terrain than this. I'm sure part of this is they just didn't really care with Christmas weekend coming up, they just wanted to be ready for the weekend. I've seen them do similar things before with what seem like odd weather hold-ups/closings of lifts and then I have also seen them put in what seems like more effort in the Spring of all times to put in effort. Their terrain is really nice, the mountain is nice, everyone I've met that works there seems very nice. I don't get it.

Steve@jpr

Industry Rep
Industry Rep
JCB--issue with the Flyer yesterday was a pulley/belt mashup that we needed to replace--we got things going by 11 (10:39a load), but the problem didn't present itself the day prior. The 1 groomer you saw working-around was likely starting to put the Northway together? We generally don't groom terrain during the day so it's unlikely you'd see anything anyway. We groomed everything we could the night before. I thought things skied out pretty well. I know that there are some convinced of nefariousness but believe me, saving $200 in labor to not run the Tram, say, is not worth the $20k in lift tickets that doesn't show up as a result of the lift not moving. Plenty goes into the decisions to run lifts/not run lifts and I've never been in one, zero, where saving labor dollars was ever a factor. Some on the board claimed they've talked to lifties, Patrol, Snowsports who claim we shudder lifts to save fuel/payroll. I'm sure you understand howq rumors start and then, eventually, are perpetuated. All I can say is it hasn't happened here, and it won't--there's just not enough upside to ever justify it.

Looks like Tram for Sunday now.

steve

I was up at Jay Peak the past 2 days with friends. Wednesday was half-way decent and the snow was soft enough to push around, so it was fun. Not much open, groomed out or ready even though they had claimed to be done with snow making with what would seem to be enough time to open things up. Yesterday everyone won with a good 5+ inches and 6-8 in some spots. It was fantastic.

That being said... yesterday the Flyer was delayed and didn't open until around 11. It ran smoothly the day before, so why the delay? Throughout the day Wednesday I saw 1 groomer working around The Flyer's trails. I've seen Wachusett work harder to groom their terrain than this. I'm sure part of this is they just didn't really care with Christmas weekend coming up, they just wanted to be ready for the weekend. I've seen them do similar things before with what seem like odd weather hold-ups/closings of lifts and then I have also seen them put in what seems like more effort in the Spring of all times to put in effort. Their terrain is really nice, the mountain is nice, everyone I've met that works there seems very nice. I don't get it.

tnt1234

Steve, you guys are in a tough spot - with the legal troubles surrounding Jay and Burke, everything that happens is going to invoke an "uh-oh! They are broke!" reaction, so it's good of you to discuss this issues head on and personally.

Best of luck with the season and the legal challenges - I sure do hope you guys - professionally, and personally - come out of this A-OK.

Hope to get at least a day in at Jay sometime in Jan-Feb, so see you soon!

Jcb890

JCB--issue with the Flyer yesterday was a pulley/belt mashup that we needed to replace--we got things going by 11 (10:39a load), but the problem didn't present itself the day prior. The 1 groomer you saw working-around was likely starting to put the Northway together? We generally don't groom terrain during the day so it's unlikely you'd see anything anyway. We groomed everything we could the night before. I thought things skied out pretty well. I know that there are some convinced of nefariousness but believe me, saving $200 in labor to not run the Tram, say, is not worth the $20k in lift tickets that doesn't show up as a result of the lift not moving. Plenty goes into the decisions to run lifts/not run lifts and I've never been in one, zero, where saving labor dollars was ever a factor. Some on the board claimed they've talked to lifties, Patrol, Snowsports who claim we shudder lifts to save fuel/payroll. I'm sure you understand howq rumors start and then, eventually, are perpetuated. All I can say is it hasn't happened here, and it won't--there's just not enough upside to ever justify it.

Looks like Tram for Sunday now.

steve

Hi Steve - I appreciate you coming on here and replying to posts. It just seemed like more terrain could have been open and there was not a push to open new terrain. Wasn't the Tram supposed to be done last Saturday? Then it was supposed to be done this Saturday. Now its Sunday.