• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

Brad J

That, or skis at very busy areas. As you know, I've got zero issues taking an hour mid day at Wildcat. Still get 30-40k vertical in or more easily.

To me, it's not the total hours you spend trying to ski, it's actual time on snow. At Cat I can accomplish more in 4-5 hours than a full day at Stowe.

Sent from my XT1565 using AlpineZone mobile app

And quality terrain with gondiline open T2B

Brad J

That, or skis at very busy areas. As you know, I've got zero issues taking an hour mid day at Wildcat. Still get 30-40k vertical in or more easily.

To me, it's not the total hours you spend trying to ski, it's actual time on snow. At Cat I can accomplish more in 4-5 hours than a full day at Stowe.

And quality terrain with gondiline open T2B

BenedictGomez

That, or skis at very busy areas. As you know, I've got zero issues taking an hour mid day at Wildcat.

I just think the "ski through lunch" ski mantra is a myth in general. Think about the math on the time involved.

How many more runs are you really going to get by skiing during lunch hour? Not many. Even if the line's 4 minutes lunch versus 14 minutes non-lunch, there's still the time of the chair ride involved to the top of the mountain and all the time it takes to get down the mountain, then another 4 minute wait...etc... Maybe you get an extra 2 runs in during the totality of a 7.5 or 8 hour ski day by skipping lunch. Meh.... I'd rather eat.

But regardless, some people act like they're getting 38 more runs than you are because they carried a granola bar in their pocket, and my point is, this is clearly false.

VTKilarney

Maybe you get an extra 2 runs in during the totality of a 7.5 or 8 hour ski day by skipping lunch. Meh.... I'd rather eat.
If the difference is between having a real lunch and snacking on granola bars while riding the lift, I am completely in your corner.

yeggous

If the difference is between having a real lunch and snacking on granola bars while riding the lift, I am completely in your corner.

Word. For me a hot lunch is well worth the time. Especially with socialization in play it can be the highlight of my day.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone mobile app

cdskier

I don't skip lunch...I just take a late lunch. For me it isn't about extra runs (although maybe I do get an extra one or two in). I just find it nice to be out skiing when the place suddenly empties out for an hour or so.

tnt1234

Lunch is a waste of time and money. Time that should be spent skiing. And you're crazy if you don't think the hill is way quieter from 1130-130

Eat a big hearty breakfast. Fill pockets with granola/cheese/fruit/jerky, carry a drink on you, feast like a king at 330, get dinner later.

I don't know...big breakfast yes, but if I'm skiing hard, I usually need some electrolytes, a bite of food and a short break to recharge. We typically pack a cooler so we don't wast time in the food line....

Much rather enjoy the PM recharged.

tnt1234

I just think the "ski through lunch" ski mantra is a myth in general. Think about the math on the time involved.

How many more runs are you really going to get by skiing during lunch hour? Not many. Even if the line's 4 minutes lunch versus 14 minutes non-lunch, there's still the time of the chair ride involved to the top of the mountain and all the time it takes to get down the mountain, then another 4 minute wait...etc... Maybe you get an extra 2 runs in during the totality of a 7.5 or 8 hour ski day by skipping lunch. Meh.... I'd rather eat.

But regardless, some people act like they're getting 38 more runs than you are because they carried a granola bar in their pocket, and my point is, this is clearly false.

Well, I think it's just getting old...

I used to hate to stop too, but as I get a little older, I just can't go that long without a little break and some food.

Jully

Well, I think it's just getting old...

I used to hate to stop too, but as I get a little older, I just can't go that long without a little break and some food.

Few years ago I was doing the granola bar plan and no stopping (I was really amped that day for whatever reason) but got incredibly nauseous around 1:00pm then thought I was going to pass out in the middle of Hayburner at SL. I managed to make it down, but had to miss the rest of the ski day due to some severe dizziness. I was low on sleep, had a smaller than normal breakfast, it was mad cold out, and pretty early in the season (early December), but it was still a wake up call.

Now I'm much more careful and its only on the rare rare day that I skip lunch. On those days I make sure to prepare for it too.

JimG.

Staff member
i don't skip lunch...i just take a late lunch. For me it isn't about extra runs (although maybe i do get an extra one or two in). I just find it nice to be out skiing when the place suddenly empties out for an hour or so.

this!

albert a ripper

I picked up a vw vanagon just so I could eat lunch and warm up a bit. It has the folding down table, fits 7 people. We park as close as we can to the trail/lift and buy beers on the way up. I use a 24oz food thermos that I usually fill with soup/stew/chili. Lunch is a 20 minute ordeal, not an hour. Much cheaper, and not deep fried junk.

deadheadskier

Staff member
I picked up a vw vanagon just so I could eat lunch and warm up a bit. It has the folding down table, fits 7 people. We park as close as we can to the trail/lift and buy beers on the way up. I use a 24oz food thermos that I usually fill with soup/stew/chili. Lunch is a 20 minute ordeal, not an hour. Much cheaper, and not deep fried junk.
Nice! Keep me posted next time you're at Wildcat. I'll bring beers!

bdfreetuna

Never even considered eating at Alices the place looks slow af

I was served quickly and with a smile at Tower Bar last trip on a busy day. In and out quick and it was a fair bill.

Sent from my LG-D850 using AlpineZone mobile app

BenedictGomez

Never even considered eating at Alices the place looks slow af

I was served quickly and with a smile at Tower Bar last trip on a busy day. In and out quick and it was a fair bill.

It didn't used to be. I eat at Alice's Table almost every time I ski at Jay and that was the only horrible experience I've ever had.

Maybe I'll try Tower Bar this week if it's quicker, though I dont know why it would be any quicker unless some people dont know it's there yet.

EDIT: Wait, just remembered Tower Bar is the name of the place right next to Alice's so that doestnt really make sense. I thought you meant whatever the newish' place is Stateside, I havent eaten there yet.

Last edited:

dlague

Eat at the Foundry! Leave skis close to there when done eating then take the Magic Carpet and ski over to Flyer - yes I am lazy!

VTKilarney

I don't skip lunch...I just take a late lunch. For me it isn't about extra runs (although maybe I do get an extra one or two in). I just find it nice to be out skiing when the place suddenly empties out for an hour or so.
Why would the trails be any less crowded?

cdskier

The Hordes are all in the lodge stuffing their faces?

I think what VTK was trying to insinuate is that just because lines are gone doesn't mean the trails are less crowded though if you assume that every chair is still going up full (so same number of people being dumped off at the top, just without lines at the bottom). However, during lunch hour there are plenty of times (at least in my experience where I ski) where every lift no longer has every chair going up full. Plus when you have lines at the bottom, you also tend to get people hanging out up top waiting for others and then skiing down in big groups, thus leading to more crowded trails.

Of course I could be completely off base on where he was going with that question. I'll just say that my own experience is that during lunch hour, lifts AND trails are less crowded.