• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

AdironRider

Good one. No, it was because he did such an awesome job with the proposed single payer system. Until he completely bailed on it. After getting re-elected.

To be fair didn't he run the numbers and it would have resulted in like an additional 20% in taxes. Something like 11.5% payroll tax and another 9.5% coming out of paychecks. That is pretty much a non starter in a state like VT, which isn't exactly killing it economy wise.

thetrailboss

Staff member
To be fair didn't he run the numbers and it would have resulted in like an additional 20% in taxes. Something like 11.5% payroll tax and another 9.5% coming out of paychecks. That is pretty much a non starter in a state like VT, which isn't exactly killing it economy wise.

He did, but the question was when did he know it was a non-starter. It was before the election, but he deep-sixed the plan AFTER he got re-elected and after getting the liberals to vote for him before he betrayed them. It was a huge deal. His last inauguration was a shit show with protesters pissed at him. Believe it or not but there was a significant number of folks who "thought" it was a good idea. But you're right in that it was not really feasible.

BenedictGomez

Believe it or not but there was a significant number of folks who "thought" it was a good idea. But you're right in that it was not really feasible.

No one in this world, so far as I know..... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.” - H.L. Mencken, 1926

BenedictGomez

That story buries the lead. The child sex, while creepy, isnt the important thing. The important thing is the judge assigned to this case seems to be 100% protecting State or Vermont.

This part is particularly distressing:

Judge Carlson asked Barr to point to state or federal laws that require regional centers to audit projects.

thetrailboss

Staff member

BenedictGomez

So this "sex crime" took place on either the 2013 or 2014 trip.

There were 6 guys on the 2013 Chinese trip:

Governor Peter Shumlin
Shumlin's unnamed bodyguards (2)
Secretary Lawrence Miller
Jay Peak CEO Bill Stenger
VT EB-5 Director Brent Raymond (Ugh.... this guy again)

I cant find complete info on the 2014 trip, only:

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.
Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vt
John Tracy, State Director for Patrick Leahy
VT EB-5 Director Brent Raymond

VTKilarney

So this "sex crime" took place on either the 2013 or 2014 trip.

There were 6 guys on the 2013 Chinese trip:

Governor Peter Shumlin
Shumlin's unnamed bodyguards (2)
Secretary Lawrence Miller
VT EB-5 Director Brent Raymond (Ugh.... this guy again)

I cant find complete info on the 2014 trip, only:

Sen. Patrick Leahy, D-Vt.
Rep. Peter Welch, D-Vt
John Tracy, State Director for Patrick Leahy
VT EB-5 Director Brent Raymond

The attorney said that it was "that an official involved in the state EB-5 program." That would seem to rule out a couple of people on your list.

BenedictGomez

I'm starting to wonder if Barr really has credible evidence.

I would believe the sleaziest of back alley lawyers with unaccredited law school degrees over State of Vermont.

Let's briefly recap (not even remotely in full):

State of Vermont claimed they audited the financials of Jay Peak, when they weren't auditing the financials of Jay Peak.

State of Vermont has stonewalled and refused and delayed in turning over emails from the Shumlin Admin.

State of Vermont via Patrick Leahy, refused to turn over emails citing, "respect for privacy laws" = ROFL.

State of Vermont ran an EB-5 outfit completely in cahoots to bring in $$$$$ at the expense of duped investors.

State of Vermont approved a "science lab" with no FDA or EMEA approved products & which was built on completely fictitious, or at very least, dubious science.

and I could go on and on and on.........

thetrailboss

Staff member
I would believe the sleaziest of back alley lawyers with unaccredited law school degrees over State of Vermont.

Let's briefly recap (not even remotely in full):

State of Vermont claimed they audited the financials of Jay Peak, when they weren't auditing the financials of Jay Peak.

State of Vermont has stonewalled and refused and delayed in turning over emails from the Shumlin Admin.

State of Vermont via Patrick Leahy, refused to turn over emails citing, "respect for privacy laws" = ROFL.

State of Vermont ran an EB-5 outfit completely in cahoots to bring in $$$$$ at the expense of duped investors.

State of Vermont approved a "science lab" with no FDA or EMEA approved products & which was built on completely fictitious, or at very least, dubious science.

and I could go on and on and on.........

The damage that the State did to itself is enormous. The best thing that they can do is just hand over the documents and be transparent. If they don't it means that any serious business would not go near Vermont based on this shit show.

BenedictGomez

I've never heard the, "my client isnt liable, because you would have known he was stealing if you were doing your job" defense.

Is that really a thing?

bdfreetuna

Let's be honest.

The biggest "bombshell" Jay Peak is going to see is when I get up there next week after a few more inches of snow for some late season shred.

BenedictGomez

The Vermont assistant Attorney General is fully of **** too, saying, "the state had “no idea” Quiros was committing fraud because he “was concealing what he was doing.”

Ummmmm....... no. I'm a guy with absolutely no access to any financials or data, and I was highly suspect a fraud was being committed while sitting at my desk in New Jersey just via the small incidental details dripping out about the methodology (or lack thereof more specifically) of how the financial reviews were apparently not being conducted, as well as the fact that it was clear to me via LinkedIn that nobody at that "most safe EB-5 center in America because it was the only one government run" (which really means it's the least safe if you have any experience with government employees) had even remotely the background to properly audit a multiple hundreds-of-millions-of-dollars audit trail, amongst other things. If anyone in Vermont even LOOKED at this, they would have caught Quiros in about 2 minutes. This was NOT the "highly skilled" mastermind diabolically brilliant financial caper State of Vermont wants everyone to believe, it was actually shockingly stupid. If anyone even LOOKED in the cash register, they would have noticed it was empty.

LONGBOARDR

Let's be honest.

The biggest "bombshell" Jay Peak is going to see is when I get up there next week after a few more inches of snow for some late season shred.

Everything skied well this am, drizzle turned to snow@10am. Coverage is great.
Word is that there may be a storm tuesday, temps will be close.
Wet sticky spring snow means ski the ridge
In any event, enjoy and we'll see you out there