• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

deadheadskier

Staff member
That's what I was getting at, but I agree with him that Jay Peak was better back before parking garages, a hockey rink, water park, hotels, and whatever else was artificially dropped there via completely phony financials.

Yep

Feel the same about Stowe. Though that I assume was financed all on the up and up.

Sugarbush I feel has done the modernization and revenue generating expansion development the best of the Eastern areas. I don't love Claybrook, but it didn't totally change the mountain vibe.

Of the major operators, I'd probably vote for Boyne as who I'd want to buy the place. Even though I'd never buy that pass due to an unfavorable opinion on Loon and all the others being too far. They feel the least corporate of all of the major players and are pretty focused on letting places make mostly local decisions for their customer base. They don't seem interested in racing to the bottom with Vail.

Last edited:

crank

I was wondering if it had gotten overrun. The last time I skied Jay was 2003 😳 :ROFLMAO:

i hope whoever does it completes the west bowl expansion but i wont hold my breath

i don't think jay is particularly overrun, and i tend to hit it on some bigger holiday type weekends when my other passes are blacked out. was fine for me this past mlk weekend, which was also a pow day

I used to ski Jay at least a few times per season from 1985 up through around 2007. Last time I was there was 2013 and it seemed to me that side country off Jet was completely tracked out much faster. Used to be able to mine that area for days.

urungus

Border to open for vaccinated Canadian travelers in early November, just in time for ski season

fbrissette

Border to open for vaccinated Canadian travelers in early November, just in time for ski season

This is obviously a good first step, bus as long as a 72-hour negative PCR test is required to enter the US (will wait and see if this is required for vaccinated canadian) and to come back to Canada (currently required for vaccinated Canadians), nobody will cross the border for a week-end.

thebigo

I heard sale was imminent. Anyone know anything? :)

Not sure who it will be but I know who it won't be.

Jay Peak is “actively engaged” in sales discussions with several potential buyers (Boyne is not one of them, Kircher confirmed, though he said that Boyne did in fact bid on Jay in the last, pre-Covid round of purchase offers).

Tin Woodsman

I'll be shocked if Alterra doesn't emerge on top of this fight. Gives them greater scale in New England while allowing them to dominate the Montreal market in combination with Tremblant. My guess is that Vail would respond by purchasing RCR to get control of Stoneham and Mt. St. Anne (among others in regions where Vail is light).

Tin Woodsman

RCR is private company and I don't think it's for sale. Not sure Vail could afford it anyway.
RCR is no more private than the umpteen other mountains Vail has purchased. If they could find a cool billion for Whistler, I don't think they'll have any trouble affording RCR. Look at its portfolio - Fernie, Kimberley, Kicking Horse, Nakiska, Stoneham and St. Anne. If they collectively add up to much more than 1M skier visits, I'd be surprised. W-B alone regularly tops 2M and has a much higher value customer base as an internationally known destination resort.

Net/net, Vail could find the money to buy RCR in the change between the seat cushions.

Last edited:

thetrailboss

Staff member
I heard sale was imminent. Anyone know anything? :)
The dream team is back. ;)

Ary-Quiros-Bill-Stenger.jpg

(Just kidding)

thetrailboss

Staff member
I'll be shocked if Alterra doesn't emerge on top of this fight. Gives them greater scale in New England while allowing them to dominate the Montreal market in combination with Tremblant. My guess is that Vail would respond by purchasing RCR to get control of Stoneham and Mt. St. Anne (among others in regions where Vail is light).
Maybe. I don't think Alterra is rolling in dough right now. They got hammered in 2020 (at least a $100 million loss). and have dumped some serious money into Steamboat as of late. Only KSL/Crown knows for sure.

Tin Woodsman

Maybe. I don't think Alterra is rolling in dough right now. They got hammered in 2020 (at least a $100 million loss). and have dumped some serious money into Steamboat as of late. Only KSL/Crown knows for sure.
Couldn't you say that about most multi-mountain operators though? I can't imagine that POWDR weathered COVID any better and we know the Kirchers are out, so that really leaves the field to a small number of likely candidates.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Couldn't you say that about most multi-mountain operators though? I can't imagine that POWDR weathered COVID any better and we know the Kirchers are out, so that really leaves the field to a small number of likely candidates.
Who said Boyne is out?

There could also be someone else besides Vail and Alterra.

cdskier

Who said Boyne is out?

From the recent Storm Skiing podcast after Boyne bought Shawnee:
Jay Peak is “actively engaged” in sales discussions with several potential buyers (Boyne is not one of them, Kircher confirmed, though he said that Boyne did in fact bid on Jay in the last, pre-Covid round of purchase offers).

KustyTheKlown

i'd say it most likely has a lot more to do with him being 82 by the time the election comes, which would make him 88 by the time he serves out his next term. just time to stop.