Jay Peak bombshell - Page 134

AlpineZone

Page 134 of 147 FirstFirst ... 3484124132133134135136144 ... LastLast
Results 1,331 to 1,340 of 1468

Unfortunately no, I do not put too much weight on a bunch of articles summarizing a half ass report written in 2013, by a half ass company. Check out the author's greatest achievement: http://www.checkoutyourpartner.com

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    Unfortunately no, I do not put too much weight on a bunch of articles summarizing a half ass report written in 2013, by a half ass company. Check out the author's greatest achievement: http://www.checkoutyourpartner.com
    Sounds like you did not read past the first article. FWIW there are some credible news outlets there that all say the same thing--VT Digger, Forbes, Times Argus are all reputable outlets.

Look again. I think you will see that it is a real problem. But since you didn't read or look into it, here is a small sample of some of these cases that have come to light:

*Small town utility employee steals $1.26 million over a ten year period;
    *Now former State employee admits to submitting over $100,000 in false reimbursements;
    *Ira town clerk embezzles $400,000 over a multi-year period;
    *Coventry town clerk embezzles $1.4 million from town over a decade;
    *Another state employee charged with stealing identities and taking $15,000 in tax return money;
    *Another state employee took $490,000 from welfare funds to be used for her clients;
    *Another state employee used settlement fund to buy $217,000 in goods for herself such as a boat and guitar;
    *In August 2019 a DMV employee charged with embezzling cash deposits she handled for the office.

Do I need to go on?
    Last edited by thetrailboss; Aug 29, 2019 at 2:44 PM.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    Sounds like you did not read past the first article. FWIW there are some credible news outlets there that all say the same thing--VT Digger, Forbes, Times Argus are all reputable outlets.

Look again. I think you will see that it is a real problem. But since you didn't read or look into it, here is a small sample of some of these cases that have come to light:

*Now former State employee admits to submitting over $100,000 in false reimbursements;
    *Another state employee charged with stealing identities and taking $15,000 in tax return money;
    *Another state employee took $490,000 from welfare funds to be used for her clients;
    *Another state employee used settlement fund to buy $217,000 in goods for herself such as a boat and guitar;
    *In August 2019 a DMV employee charged with embezzling cash deposits she handled for the office.

Do I need to go on?
    They sound like Mass employees . Only in Mass, they do that in a year or less.

I hear what you guys are saying, but what data exist that supports that Vermont has an embezzlement problem?
    Seriously? You need to get an education by going back & reading about 5 years worth of posts here.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Do I need to go on?
    The Jay Peak example is so large & staggering that that's all you actually need.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    The Jay Peak example is so large & staggering that that's all you actually need.
    And therein lies the problem. The old one bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

Do I need to go on?
    LOL - everyone of those articles (except for the VT Digger embezzlement search link) is just a chewed up and spit back out again summary of the Marquet Report, with absolutely no independent thought or evaluation of the data.

LOL - everyone of those articles (except for the VT Digger embezzlement search link) is just a chewed up and spit back out again summary of the Marquet Report, with absolutely no independent thought or evaluation of the data.
    Even if you have an issue with the report itself being "half ass", what about the specific examples cited? Are they not real or not relevant for some reason just because they were part of that report? (Although they weren't even all part of that report)

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Even if you have an issue with the report itself being "half ass", what about the specific examples cited? Are they not real or not relevant for some reason just because they were part of that report? (Although they weren't even all part of that report)
    I'm no statistician, so I cannot comment on whether the report's conclusion and, in particular, it's trademarked (!) "Embezzlement Propensity Factor" are supported by the data, but a few examples of embezzlement and other financial fraud by committed by people in Vermont do not, by themselves, support a conclusion that people in Vermont are more disposed to commit financial crimes than people in other states. If the report is, as mbedle claims, half-assed, then the enumerated examples, while egregious, do not support any particular conclusion about the criminal tendencies of Vermont people.

Quote Originally Posted by cdskier View Post
    Yes, I can acknowledge that the cases listed did indeed occur in Vermont. My point was to state that I don't believe that Vermont's citizens are more prone to or that the occurrence of embezzlement is any greater than any other state. Its all good and I love a good discussion no matter what the outcome may be.

Thread Information