Jay Peak bombshell - Page 144

AlpineZone

Page 144 of 147 FirstFirst ... 4494134142143144145146 ... LastLast
Results 1,431 to 1,440 of 1468
    One of the funniest bits of this saga is how overnight Stenger went from supposedly one of the most intelligent men in ski business, to using the, "I am but a terribly naive pawn who was duped" defense.
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Quote Originally Posted by BenedictGomez View Post
    One of the funniest bits of this saga is how overnight Stenger went from supposedly one of the most intelligent men in ski business, to using the, "I am but a terribly naive pawn who was duped" defense.
    And apparently, Canadian and Japanese ski resorts are looking to hire him as a consultant. He just got his passport back to be able to travel outside the county.

Quote Originally Posted by mbedle View Post
    And apparently, Canadian and Japanese ski resorts are looking to hire him as a consultant. He just got his passport back to be able to travel outside the county.
    I am quite surprised that he got it back.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by Jcb890 View Post
    $572M spent recently and your summit lift is a tram that can't run in winds over 5 mph.
    Solid investment right there!
    They would say that the money went into amenities that make the resort year-round and weatherproof. I agree to some extent.

Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    They would say that the money went into amenities that make the resort year-round and weatherproof. I agree to some extent.

After skiing there a couple times a year 20 or more years ago comparing it to present - my kids enjoyed the water park when it was simply too cold to ski for them, and even if not too cold - the novelty was all they wanted. It's cheaper for me if the wife and kids are in there - except for that bar. . .

Then the rinks - I'm a former traveling hockey player so the draw for that crowd is good. Hotels and condos all seem to improve the area and the experience even though I don't stay in them. Enjoyed the dining and the whole vibe that was created.

I'm not old enough to play golf but there is another draw. All this investment to draw RE investment and dining experiences - where the margins are, seem to have worked. The question is at what price? Whats the ROI?

$572M -

Sugarbush didn't invest in half that I bet, yet created more year-round activity.

Weddings and mt biking,, disc golf, zip lines, and every kind of festival one can think of. Think at the sale they stated they spend $74M in ski mountain improvements, not counting hotel and condo development. Jay has Montreal 2 hours away - Mad River Valley has far fewer beds and is further away from larger metropolitan areas.

ROI - got to be a measurable return ( oh yeah and be able to fund debt - let's not forget the true problem here - am I off on that?)

Quote Originally Posted by 1dog View Post
    After skiing there a couple times a year 20 or more years ago comparing it to present - my kids enjoyed the water park when it was simply too cold to ski for them, and even if not too cold - the novelty was all they wanted. It's cheaper for me if the wife and kids are in there - except for that bar. . .

Then the rinks - I'm a former traveling hockey player so the draw for that crowd is good. Hotels and condos all seem to improve the area and the experience even though I don't stay in them. Enjoyed the dining and the whole vibe that was created.

I'm not old enough to play golf but there is another draw. All this investment to draw RE investment and dining experiences - where the margins are, seem to have worked. The question is at what price? Whats the ROI?

$572M -

Sugarbush didn't invest in half that I bet, yet created more year-round activity.

Weddings and mt biking,, disc golf, zip lines, and every kind of festival one can think of. Think at the sale they stated they spend $74M in ski mountain improvements, not counting hotel and condo development. Jay has Montreal 2 hours away - Mad River Valley has far fewer beds and is further away from larger metropolitan areas.

ROI - got to be a measurable return ( oh yeah and be able to fund debt - let's not forget the true problem here - am I off on that?)
    In terms of skiing experience, from what I am seeing they have added one new beginner lift and that is it. Long laid out plans for HSQ for the Jet and HS6 for Bonnie, but no progress. Same old tired fixed-grip lifts. The last real new lift there of major significance was the Flyer....in 1999. That's 20 years ago.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Let’s not forget the terrain expansion that has never happened and likely wont

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    Let’s not forget the terrain expansion that has never happened and likely wont
    Right. That too. I think that they even had trail names picked out for that expansion into the west bowl area.
    Live, Ski, or Die!

Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I am quite surprised that he got it back.

WCAX

The court on Tuesday granted the request with conditions that travel is restricted to Canada and Japan and countries passed through on the way. The trips must be approved in advance by U.S. probation and Stenger must pledge his principal residence as security.

Quiros bought the ski area for $21.9 million. Hundreds of millions were spent improving the place. It is now allegedly worth somewhere between $80 million and $100 million.

I'm no business expert, but that seems like a pretty horrible outcome.

Thread Information