• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

BenedictGomez

I don't believe that Vermont's citizens are more prone to or that the occurrence of embezzlement is any greater than any other state.

It's not the "citizens" you have to worry about, it's the government employees, plus the backwoods laissez-faire 1920s-style financial controls (term used loosely here) that are in place.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
So True. lol

Edit - lets be honest, it was only $1,000....

Not really.:mad:

"The investigation found Johnson had made other purchases outside of the ones he is being charged with, but due to the statute of limitations, is not being criminally charged for those purchases."

Seems he's been doing this for a while and nobody noticed!

cdskier

Yes, I can acknowledge that the cases listed did indeed occur in Vermont. My point was to state that I don't believe that Vermont's citizens are more prone to or that the occurrence of embezzlement is any greater than any other state. Its all good and I love a good discussion no matter what the outcome may be.

Fair point, but to me I still think it is fair to say that Vermont has a problem. Whether that problem is worse than other states or not isn't that important (to me at least). Best analogy I can come up with would be something like this: If 1 house in my neighborhood is broken into, ok, isolated incident. Two houses could be a coincidence. Three or more and now to me there's a problem. That rate still may be far below neighborhoods of Newark, but that doesn't mean I should not worry about it. I can still take proactive actions now to address what is happening in my area (lock my doors, install an alarm system, etc) and shouldn't wait until some statistics somewhere say that it is worse than other areas.

BenedictGomez

Not shocking. Senator Leahy is elbow-deep in this saga & now pleads ignorance. This bit's great:

there are no Leahy communications provided by the AG’s office after 2014, when investors began pressuring the state to take action against the developers.
Must be in the same place as Hillary Clinton's hard drive!

But of course you know I'm partial to the bit relating to Brett Raymond, my favorite character in this entire mess.

“The VT Digger article is reverberating in China,” Raymond wrote to the Leahy staffers in his email. “Competing RCs {regional centers} are using it against us and our projects.”

Literally the exact OPPOSITE of his job.

I've said it 101 times on this board, but how Brett Raymond hasn't been investigated in all this is completely beyond me. It's the sole remaining, "Keystone Cops" unanswered part of this puzzle for me. The State of Vermont EB-5 Center is the glue that held the entire scam together, and for the life of me I dont understand why nobody seems to understand this!

VTKilarney

Vail is not interested in Jay, but Alterra and these others are:

https://vtdigger.org/2019/09/05/vai...tors-eye-jay-peak-as-sale-process-presses-on/

It looks like Jay will take a massive tax hit. From the article: The town of Jay has the resort assessed on the grand list at $124 million. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, during a May 2016 court hearing, valued Jay Peak at $42 million, based on average profits.

machski

https://vtdigger.org/2019/09/05/vai...tors-eye-jay-peak-as-sale-process-presses-on/

It looks like Jay will take a massive tax hit. From the article: The town of Jay has the resort assessed on the grand list at $124 million. The U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission, during a May 2016 court hearing, valued Jay Peak at $42 million, based on average profits.
Given the pending Peaks buy, Vail will own outright 7 resorts in New England alone. They not having interest in Jay does not surprise me. Another buy, especially in VT, would increase any Anti-Trust scrutiny. From a selfish side, would love to see Alterra buy them and add to Ikon with a second unlimited area in NE.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using AlpineZone mobile app

urungus

LOL ... The article says that “Vale” is not interested, but “Ultara” might be

thetrailboss

Staff member

The difference in value is likely due to one valuation of the property and real estate (the higher number) and the other being the going interest value (the business itself).

BenedictGomez

The difference in value is likely due to one valuation of the property and real estate (the higher number) and the other being the going interest value (the business itself).

Any way you slice it, a $124M valuation for Jay Peak, wherever that came from, was absolutely bat**** crazy versus what we know about their annual revenue of somewhere between $2M & $9M.

BenedictGomez

So here's the list of Jay Peak tire-kickers from VTDigger:

Alterra
A Communist Chinese oligarch
Pacific Group
Och-Ziff
AWH Partners

I still think Alterra is the most logical choice for a whole host of reasons.

thetrailboss

Staff member
Any way you slice it, a $124M valuation for Jay Peak, wherever that came from, was absolutely bat**** crazy versus what we know about their annual revenue of somewhere between $2M & $9M.

Yes, true. "Grand List" is the value of the real property in the town. Remember that over the years Stenger and Company created many different partnerships and entities for each of their "projects" at Jay, so technically I bet that there are several different entities that own real estate up there, while the ski area itself is a separate operation.

AdironRider

PHP:

No way Jay only does 9 million in revenue, let alone 2.

Its isn't worth 124 million though.

BenedictGomez

PHP:

No way Jay only does 9 million in revenue, let alone 2.

Its isn't worth 124 million though.

Correct, I meant profit, not revenue. I dont recall if revenue is public knowledge, but on < $10M in profits, lets say it's $30M - $40M in top-line revenue, there's no way you can get anywhere near a $124M value.

thetrailboss

Staff member
So here's the list of Jay Peak tire-kickers from VTDigger:

Alterra
A Communist Chinese oligarch
Pacific Group
Och-Ziff
AWH Partners

I still think Alterra is the most logical choice for a whole host of reasons.

Good summary of the interested parties. :lol: