• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Jay Peak bombshell

BenedictGomez

fbrissette

Never thought about border issues but a friend of mine flew out of Montreal to Boston last weekend and visiting for the week. So you can fly out just not drive out! Hmmmm

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In August, I flew into Logan and rented a pick-up truck to empty my condo and get all of my ski stuff home when it became obvious there would be no skiing in Vermont this winter. Not sure why it's not possible to cross the land border for personal business (I tried) but it is OK to fly.

There was a 400$ one-way drop off charge for the truck in Montreal... Still way cheaper than buying new ski gear.

fbrissette

Logically I find it far more odd from the Canadian perspective to allow it, than from the American perspective to allow it given COVID19 rates are higher in the USA. Yet the Canadian media presents the story linked above as, "gosh, America is so puzzling with this", LOL.

You have to quarantine for 2 weeks on your way back, and they do follow-up to make sure you are doing it. So nobody will fly out unless they really have to.

VTKilarney

In August, I flew into Logan and rented a pick-up truck to empty my condo and get all of my ski stuff home when it became obvious there would be no skiing in Vermont this winter. .
Umm... you didn't quarantine in Vermont for 14 days prior to taking your gear back to Canada?

7c0c79cc515181b5b3c9f5bcc3f54be3.jpg

fbrissette

Umm... you didn't quarantine in Vermont for 14 days prior to taking your gear back to Canada?

View attachment 27080

Did not stop anywhere in Vermont beside my condo, did not interact with anyone.

Flying was an interesting experience. A total of five flights total for the day from Montreal to the US, and only one in early afternoon. Total of 8 passengers out of 120 seats. The Montreal US concourse was completely empty (beside a single Air Canada employee), 3 people waiting for me at security and a single official at the US border.

The whole thing was safer than going grocery shopping.

VTKilarney

"Transit" passengers don't need to quarantine.

He's on his way from Boston to Montreal...
With a stop at his Vermont condo, which means that he is not a transit passenger.

The rule says that if you are "visiting Vermont" you must quarantine. Going to your condo to clean it out is a "visit" to Vermont.

VTKilarney

Flying was an interesting experience. A total of five flights total for the day from Montreal to the US, and only one in early afternoon. Total of 8 passengers out of 120 seats. The Montreal US concourse was completely empty (beside a single Air Canada employee), 3 people waiting for me at security and a single official at the US border.

I flew round trip from Lebanon, New Hampshire to Boston earlier this summer. I was the only passenger on the plane both ways. In Lebanon there were three TSA Agents to screen one passenger.

abc

With a stop at his Vermont condo, which means that he is not a transit passenger.

The rule says that if you are "visiting Vermont" you must quarantine. Going to your condo to clean it out is a "visit" to Vermont.
Transit passengers are still allowed to stop for food and even stay in hotel overnight if the distance requires. He's just stopping at his condo to get some food from the frig.

VTKilarney

Transit passengers are still allowed to stop for food and even stay in hotel overnight if the distance requires. He's just stopping at his condo to get some food from the frig.

Are you being dense on purpose? What part of "cleaning out the condo" constitutes "just eating"?

Also, if someone lives out of state and goes to Vermont with the specific intent of cleaning out a residence, they are not a mere "transit passenger. By your definition you could say that you stopped at Killington to ski while transiting from Boston and back.

And are you sure that there is a "transit" exemption? I don't see one listed here:
https://www.healthvermont.gov/response/coronavirus-covid-19/traveling-vermont

Again, I think the rule taken literally is absurd. I am just pointing out that technically it is a violation of the quarantine rule.

The irony is that the people who are most likely to break the quarantine rule are the people that are most likely to engage in rule-breaking and/or risky behavior. So the result is that the people most likely to be sick with Covid are still coming to Vermont, while those who are being more cautious stay away.

Oh, and let's not forget that Massachusetts has a 14 day quarantine rule as well. Oddly enough, their rule has an exemption for connecting to a plane, but not from a plane.
https://www.mass.gov/info-details/covid-19-travel-order#quarantine-requirement-and-testing-options-

Last edited:

VTKilarney

I thought the VT quarantine rule was 14 days and it could either be at home or in VT. Or 7 days and a negative test

Yes. He could have stayed at his condo for 14 days and then moved everything out. Or seven days followed by a negative test.

machski

Yes. He could have stayed at his condo for 14 days and then moved everything out. Or seven days followed by a negative test.
You are incorrect here Kilarney, visitors must Quarantine for the 14 days or the entire time they are in Vermont if less than 14 days. You do not have to remain in Vermont 14 days if you went to your own home/condo, you just have to stay there and only there for the balance of your time in VT.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

dlague

You are incorrect here Kilarney, visitors must Quarantine for the 14 days or the entire time they are in Vermont if less than 14 days. You do not have to remain in Vermont 14 days if you went to your own home/condo, you just have to stay there and only there for the balance of your time in VT.

Sent from my SM-T830 using AlpineZone mobile app

How many people are actually following that protocol?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

abc

Are you being dense on purpose? What part of "cleaning out the condo" constitutes "just eating"?
When you're being dense on purpose, so should everyone else.

You didn't fully understand the rules. But you're happy to apply it randomly. I did the same, by picking a different random point, just for the fun of it. But you seem very serious in believing your own misunderstanding!

There's nothing wrong with the rules. There're reasonable exemption to handle the above situation nicely. It's you who slam the rules as absurd when it's just your MIS-understanding of it that is absurd.

deadheadskier

Staff member
A nice gesture indeed. However, many of the Canadians with season passes have decided to get a pass somewhere else. I pulled the trigger on an Ikon pass and will ski Tremblant this winter. I rented my Jay Peak condo for the season. It does not matter anymore if the border reopens, no Vermont for me this winter. Sucks. And I cannot get ski in ski out accommodation at Tremblant for the price I rent my condo at Jay. So I'm back to driving and booting up in the parking lot. Tough life...
Curious why you chose Tremblant vs say Sutton or Orford? Wouldn't those areas offer a more Jay like experience than Tremblant?

I haven't skied any of them. I've just always been under the impression that Tremblant is something similar to say Stratton where as the Laurentians have more of the ungroomed and tree skiing experience Jay is known for.

Sent from my moto g power using AlpineZone mobile app