how to become a good skier?? - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Build confidence by getting out there often and challenging yourself. Skiing at the same level repeatedly will make you good at that level. Continue to buy gear above you level that allows you to get to a higher level. Understand technical differences between different types of terrain and conditions.

2012-2013 (39)
    2013-2014 (36)
    2014-2015 (51)
    2015-2016 (47)

2016-2017 target - 50

If you take what the mountain gives you, you will always have fun!

Quote Originally Posted by seanfentres View Post
    i am dong a research on how an individual can become good skier and also where to look for and all the information
    If you also post this question at the Teton Gravity Research Forums you will get a lot of valuable information

go that way really fast, if something gets in your way, turn
    "man you make it look so fluid"

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    If you also post this question at the Teton Gravity Research Forums you will get a lot of valuable information
    Sending the lamb to the lions - nice
    2010/11 - 30days 2011/12 - 29days 2012/13 - 40 days 2013/14 - 39 days 2014/15 - 42 days
    2015/2016 -27 days 2016/17 - 51 days 2017/18 - 57 days 2018/19 - 75 days

Ski. A lot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Sending the lamb to the lions - nice
    The alternative could be the Barking Bear forums where he'll get piled on by a bunch of PSIA instructors
    Last edited by WWF-VT; Jul 30, 2014 at 4:26 PM.

It's really difficult to make any gains by reading up on skiing. As others have said, ski more often and whenever possible ski with people above your ability. You will pick up on little things by just watching them. People also tend to push themselves beyond their comfort zone and challenge themselves (within reason of course). It will improve your confidence exponentially.

There are also some great videos on YouTube that cover everything from A to Z.

Quote Originally Posted by WWF-VT View Post
    The alternative could be the Barking Bear forums where he'll get piled on by a bunch of PSA instructors
    HAD to check that out and found this post:

http://www.epicski.com/t/78859/learn...s#post_1038662

Sorry, I had to chuckle a little when I read that a 17-year-old thinks he may be too old to learn something new. I skied for the first time two years ago -- at the age of 53. There are very few things in life that you can't do at any age. You may not be the best at it, but if you stick with it you can be much better than when you started -- and, in the case of skiing, you'll have a blast.

So, here are some tips from a middle-aged newbie -- virtually all of which I picked up from the Epic forums. The last two are, IMHO, the most important:

1. Take some lessons.

2. Actively engage your brain and body in learning (in other words: focus).

3. Don't worry about how you look or feel the first five (ten?) times out. As an old Britsh author once said: "if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly".

4. Soak up everything you can from this site, hang with other skiers and learn from them, read ski books, etc. But keep in mind that this alone will not enable you to ski (understanding the physics of parabolic skis is not the same as skiing on them).

5. Get out on the slopes! As someone on this Forum said: "mileage" is the best instructor.

6. Have fun! It may take a while before the initial fear/trepidation quotient is surpassed by the joy quotient, but if you persevere, it will happen.

Hope this helps. Go for it!
    "Happiness equals reality minus expectations." Tommy Magliozzi

All other things being equal, starting younger is better.

Having innately good sense of balance helps too.

As for what's actually within one's control, that I haven't seen mentioned yet - physical stamina. Strength & strength to weight ratio, aerobic endurance. Each provides its own benefit and IMO is huge for skiing, whether you want g forces on the groomers or to rip a fast zipperline through a bumpfield for longer than 4 turns.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodCore View Post

Ask HighwayStar.
    Challenge him to a ski-off, and follow in his wake (because you surely wont be in front).

Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger.*

*But it might kill you
    President - Bicknell's Thrush Extermination Solutions (BTES), LLC

Thread Information