• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

how to become a good skier??

seanfentres

i am dong a research on how an individual can become good skier and also where to look for and all the information

ss20

A minute from the Alta exit off the I-15!
Watch others from the chairlift. If you've got skiing friends ask them for some tips. Vary up what you do in both style and terrain (ex: don't just make short turns, don't just do groomers)

hammer

Written information on how to ski better is in the eye of the reader IMO.

Advice I'd have is to ski more and ski often. Depending on skill level throw in a lesson once in a while (with the appropriate instructor) to make sure you aren't being limited by bad habits.

timm

Depending on skill level throw in a lesson once in a while (with the appropriate instructor) to make sure you aren't being limited by bad habits.

I think no matter the ski level, the occasional lesson is important unless you have ski buddies at or above your level. Practice can reinforce bad habits you don't even know you have if you don't have someone who can occasionally observe what you are doing and give you insights.

The appropriate instructor does get much harder to find the more skilled you get though.

dlague

Build confidence by getting out there often and challenging yourself. Skiing at the same level repeatedly will make you good at that level. Continue to buy gear above you level that allows you to get to a higher level. Understand technical differences between different types of terrain and conditions.

MadMadWorld

It's really difficult to make any gains by reading up on skiing. As others have said, ski more often and whenever possible ski with people above your ability. You will pick up on little things by just watching them. People also tend to push themselves beyond their comfort zone and challenge themselves (within reason of course). It will improve your confidence exponentially.

There are also some great videos on YouTube that cover everything from A to Z.

Abubob

Website
tee.pub
The alternative could be the Barking Bear forums where he'll get piled on by a bunch of PSA instructors

HAD to check that out and found this post:

http://www.epicski.com/t/78859/learning-to-ski-at-older-ages#post_1038662

Sorry, I had to chuckle a little when I read that a 17-year-old thinks he may be too old to learn something new. I skied for the first time two years ago -- at the age of 53. There are very few things in life that you can't do at any age. You may not be the best at it, but if you stick with it you can be much better than when you started -- and, in the case of skiing, you'll have a blast.

So, here are some tips from a middle-aged newbie -- virtually all of which I picked up from the Epic forums. The last two are, IMHO, the most important:

1. Take some lessons.

2. Actively engage your brain and body in learning (in other words: focus).

3. Don't worry about how you look or feel the first five (ten?) times out. As an old Britsh author once said: "if a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly".

4. Soak up everything you can from this site, hang with other skiers and learn from them, read ski books, etc. But keep in mind that this alone will not enable you to ski (understanding the physics of parabolic skis is not the same as skiing on them).

5. Get out on the slopes! As someone on this Forum said: "mileage" is the best instructor.

6. Have fun! It may take a while before the initial fear/trepidation quotient is surpassed by the joy quotient, but if you persevere, it will happen.

Hope this helps. Go for it!

SkiingInABlueDream

All other things being equal, starting younger is better.

Having innately good sense of balance helps too.

As for what's actually within one's control, that I haven't seen mentioned yet - physical stamina. Strength & strength to weight ratio, aerobic endurance. Each provides its own benefit and IMO is huge for skiing, whether you want g forces on the groomers or to rip a fast zipperline through a bumpfield for longer than 4 turns.