Colorado Ski Guide - Page 2

AlpineZone

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by skiNEwhere View Post
    Yea, buttermilk is geared towards either beginners, or those skiers/riders who enjoy hitting 40+ ft kickers and a superpipe There's a reason the X-games is held there.

I've heard there are a few good runs off of Tiehack, that's about it though. It's hard to justify going there. Deals for Aspen are very hard to come by, and considering Aspen is 3 hours away from me, I'd want to ski any other aspen resort considering the price and distance. I got a lift ticket for $93 last season, and that was WITH a discount. (Add $5 if you don't have their RFID card)
    The guide is good stuff, makes me want to go skiing.

One good thing about checking out Buttermilk is that you don't have to commit to a full day there. You can ski there for as long as you want then take a short bus ride to any of the three other Aspen areas and your lift ticket is good.

This is a great write up.

Skied well over 200 days at Loveland between 07-10. Chair 4 has some good stuff also, although a bit short. If the weather is right then chair 9 is worth riding all day IMO. A little hiking goes a long way. I miss 225 daily beer specials downstairs in the bar.

As for brown bagging I used to bring a piece of salmon layered on thin sliced potatos, green beans, shallot, butter and wine. Wrap the whole stack in parchment, then foil, drop it in the upper chamber or the Oregon stove in the rock house, ski a few runs then come back and eat lunch with a pocket beer...followed by that Colorado kind. Or theres those grills with propane tanks if feeling more ambitious.

And then there's Telluride....

Loveland Pass itself is very fun to ski from either side. Someone is always willing to give you a ride and show you around. My first "backcountry" experience out west.
    Snow!

Colorado Ski Guide

Quote Originally Posted by catsup948 View Post
    Loveland Pass itself is very fun to ski from either side. Someone is always willing to give you a ride and show you around. My first "backcountry" experience out west.
    +1. The first time I skied the pass was this year, May 11th, there was almost 2 feet of untouched snow in some places and it kept snowing heavily the entire day. There is some avy danger but it's much lower than surrounding areas due to fact that cdot blasts it and skiers pack it down daily.

It's also a great way to meet people
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

You can exit the ski area via the gate/hike above chair 1, ski the back, cross the road and come out down at the valley, no hitching needed and can be good for a lap or two.

When things are unstable it can be deadly up there

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Very cool.

If you want to expand this i can maybe find some non-forum page to permanently host this.
    Does AlpineZone have a resorts review section like some other sites? I think it's quite valuable to hear comments like this from knowledgeable and trustworthy forum members instead of from random newbs or a biased source.
    I concur with everything SkiNEwhere said. Did he mention the fairly long tunnel you can sometimes ski through to go under Interstate 70 to return to base lodge from Chair 8/Zip Basin? I have two and six days at A-Basin and Loveland respectively and don't know them nearly as well as he does, but well enough to suggest they offer some of the better low cost/anti-resort skiing in America

Great writeup! I'm jonesing!

Quote Originally Posted by Smellytele View Post
    Maybe break it up to grade 1-10 for price, terrain, crowd, lift system, vibe - etc. Then average it out.
    I like that, I think I'll either do that or add them up to say something like "Resort X is 84 out of 100." If I do the latter though, each resort will need the exact same criteria, which it probably should anyways for continuity

Quote Originally Posted by snoseek View Post
    Or theres those grills with propane tanks if feeling more ambitious.
    Did not realize that you could grill

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    Does AlpineZone have a resorts review section like some other sites? I think it's quite valuable to hear comments like this from knowledgeable and trustworthy forum members instead of from random newbs or a biased source.
    I concur with everything SkiNEwhere said. Did he mention the fairly long tunnel you can sometimes ski through to go under Interstate 70 to return to base lodge from Chair 8/Zip Basin? I have two and six days at A-Basin and Loveland respectively and don't know them nearly as well as he does, but well enough to suggest they offer some of the better low cost/anti-resort skiing in America
    Thanks for the feedback. I did not mention the tunnel, I'll have to add that. I've never skied through it or seen anyone do it either. The snow only builds up in there gradually with residual snow that falls off of peoples skis or boards, so it takes a while. There were some bare spots when I went through and I just bought new skis so I didn't want to scratch them up. I think it's pretty cool that you can ski under a frickin' interstate!

Quote Originally Posted by MadMadWorld View Post
    Great writeup! I'm jonesing!
    The jonesing is what's been making me want to write this. It's a chicken-egg scenario lol

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Very cool.

If you want to expand this i can maybe find some non-forum page to permanently host this.
    That would be cool. I think I need to break up the review a little better though. I wrote this in MS Word and hoped the bullets and formatting would stay the same when I copied it over, but it didn't so personally I think it's kind of hard to read. If there is a dedicated page for unofficial guides or whatever you want to call it, I should probably add pics to break up the monotony of words. To add to what jimk said there should probably be a place for comments too, because no matter how unbiased you try to make something, if there is one author, bias may develop.
    2017/2018 Days - 88
    2016/2017 Days - 34
    2015/2016 Days - 57
    2014/2015 Days - 58
    2013/2014 Days - 47

Quote Originally Posted by jimk View Post
    I would like to add this in. WE have trip reports but they aren't tied to the resorts section of the site (yet). I've been wanting to make that connection a little stronger.
    Free Stickers - e-mail your address to nick@alpinezone.com.

Check AZ out on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, Vimeo and Google+

Get AZ on your mobile phone!

Does anyone know if there is a similar forum site like this(alpinezone) in Colorado? I am skiing out there in December and then in January. Ever since Epicski went down you can't find much info for forums in those areas?

Thread Information