Colorado Ski Guide - Page 5

AlpineZone

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by thetrailboss View Post
    I went to Aspen/Snowmass last month for a convention. All I can say is wow. Highlands does look cool and I'd ski there. Snowmass looks like the Sugarloaf of the West. That is one HUGE mother mountain. I really want to ski there....

Buttermilk--meh. Maybe worth a day.

Aspen reminded me of a bigger Cranmore. Interesting steep terrain. But I have no idea where one parks to ski Aspen.
    I skied at Aspen last year TB and you are right. Highlands is where it is at. So cool. and if Highland bowl is open you should definitely hike that. Snow mass is massive and good on a powder day. I think there are day lots in town and buses. Snowmass has parking right at the hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Zand View Post
    Count me in to the Winter Park >>> Copper crew.

Thats not to say I didnt have fun at Copper. But you need to hit the above treeline stuff right after a snowfall or it gets manked out because it all faces south. Theres some good stuff off Super Bee but a lot of east coast icy groomers as well. The entire lookers right 2/3rds of the resort is Stratton west, including Union Meadows.

Winter Park almost has a Smuggs like quality to it. Sure it kind of has an east coast feel to it being mostly below treeline but it really is like Smuggs and Jay on steroids.

Looking forward to finally getting to A-Basin this year, as well as checking out the new back bowl lift at Copper and returning to Winter Park.
    Got the Ikon Pass this year, so planning a mid December trip to Winter Park. Am going to ski AB on the way out that day. Then ski Winterpark for the next few days. I am staying in Winter Park. Is it worth it do day trip Copper while I am at winter Park?

Quote Originally Posted by nhskier1969 View Post
    Is it worth it do day trip Copper while I am at winter Park?
    No.

Stick to one place, wherever that place is.

Also, be careful about skiing AB on the first day. The top of AB is really high. If you're flying in on a morning flight and skiing right after landing, altitude could get you.

Quote Originally Posted by bdfreetuna View Post
    Only skied Telluride in Colorado but I was more impressed with the scenery and the actual town than the skiing. I didn't do any extreme stuff though just whatever was near the lifts. You know your trip out west probably wasn't worth the time and energy when locals ask you where you're from and you start talking up places like Jay Peak and Sugarloaf out east (and they couldn't give a shit)

Next time I ski Colorado it will probably be Steamboat or Crested Butte. That said will probably get to Oregon(Bachelor) or Montana before returning to CO.

Enjoyed the skiing in Tahoe > Telluride. I'm not a "big mountain skier" though. I like trees and narrow stuff. And not the kind of trees at Telluride where they are very widely spaced out tall pine trees.
    Here's a trip report covering Telluride and CB. Loved 'em both.
    https://www.pugski.com/threads/closi...il-2019.15144/

For advanced skiing when the snow is good, CB>Steam or MtB (although backside of MtB was otherworldly)

Funny thing about this thread, the OP from 2014 has moved to Utah! SkiNEwhere - great guy. Maybe he'll return to post his thoughts comparing CO skiing with UT skiing now that he knows a lot more about both??
    Last edited by jimk; Nov 19, 2019 at 3:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KustyTheKlown View Post
    ah, you reminded me, i've been to ajax highlands and snowmass, but left them off my list. i'd rank those highlands over snowmass over ajax, and in general i'd put all 3 above everything in summit/eagle/grand counties, except for a-basin.
    Agreed on all points except I prefer Ajax to Snowmass. Both suffer from poor lift placement that makes their better terrain areas a pain in the ass to lap. This is more true at Snowmass though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    No.

Stick to one place, wherever that place is.

Also, be careful about skiing AB on the first day. The top of AB is really high. If you're flying in on a morning flight and skiing right after landing, altitude could get you.
    its not worth skiing copper, but the reason is bc copper sucks.

winter park and a-basin is a great trip. i'm bummed that basin is blacked out when i'll be out there over xmas.

Quote Originally Posted by deadheadskier View Post
    Agreed on all points except I prefer Ajax to Snowmass. Both suffer from poor lift placement that makes their better terrain areas a pain in the ass to lap. This is more true at Snowmass though.

Sent from my XT1635-01 using AlpineZone mobile app
    my main gripe with ajax was lift layout. i found myself back at the base gondola far too often, and found myself dropping into runs earlier than i would have liked, simply to avoid missing a lift.

i really liked the hanging valley terrain at snowmass. this was about 13 years ago now so its certainly been a while and i'm a much stronger and smarter skier now. would like to go back but getting to/from and lodging for aspen is $$$$$

its not worth skiing copper, but the reason is bc copper sucks..
    There’s one poster on this board who never miss EVERY SINGLE opportunity to say Copper sucks. Did he get his skis stolen there? I don’t know.

But this same poster had labeled MANY other mountains as “sucks”. So it goes to figure...

Quote Originally Posted by abc View Post
    There’s one poster on this board who never miss EVERY SINGLE opportunity to say Copper sucks. Did he get his skis stolen there? I don’t know.

But this same poster had labeled MANY other mountains as “sucks”. So it goes to figure...
    I am staying slodeside at WP, so is it worth it to drive to Copper for a day and then come back to WP?

Thread Information