• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

So my wife challenged me to a 400M race

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
While I've done some variation of HIIT (high intensity interval training) work and I'm a fairly regular runner, I've never actually timed myself on a 400m track and my wife was a sprinter in high school and college.

Anyway. I decided to make a short video edit of the competition.

Nick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Website
www.alpinezone.com
Anyone ever run 400? How is my time overall? I have no idea if that's OK or not. I crashed around 200M pretty bad. I actually felt like I was jogging between 200 and 300M (the 2nd curve). I did try to push it though in the last stretch again haha.

xwhaler

Haha awesome. I ran track all 4 yrs in High School and the 400 and 4 x 400 relay were my events.
As a skinny freshman 1st time running it I ran it in 73 secs.....my PR by the end of my senior yr was 53.5 which was just fast enough to qualify way back in the pack for state championship meets in MA.
Briefly toyed with the idea of running it in college but once I decided to go to UNH I knew there was no chance I wanted to put for the effort it would take to compete at the D1 level.

I was walking around Exeter NH a few wknds ago with my wife and son and we walked past the Phillips Exeter track. I got inspired again and ran it.
Probably clocked a time similar to you though didn't time it....felt pretty good but clearly being 50 lbs heavier than I was at my peak running days and now 14 yrs older hasnt helped!

They say the 400 is one of the toughest events in track and field. Its not quite a full out sprint but there is not much time pace yourself or get into a rhythm.

skiNEwhere

I saw the name of this thread from the forum mainpage, but since the title was so long it was cut off to say "So my wife challenged me to a"...., I thought for sure you were gonna say "ski-off" :D

gladerider

i ran track 1 year in high school. 400m. i was too slow for all the other sprints. my best time ever was 60. i almost always came in last in the meets. there were kids running in 50-52 range and i think our conference was below average for NJ i think.
yeah, so i did only one year. not fun coming in last every meet.

you can teach many things in life, but one thing you can't teach is speed.

gladerider

oh, i forgot to say. good job guys. very respectable time. i wish i can run that fast.