• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Robert H Treman Ithaca NY

Cornhead

Scotty and JimG have been hiking together this Summer. I joined them for a hike at Sam's Point. Scotty told me Jim was dropping his Son off at Cornell for the upcoming semester. I wondered if he would be able to fit in a hike somewhere in the Ithaca area, there are lots of options. He couldn't, but Scotty was willing to drive to Binghamton, so I drove to Ithaca from there.

I usually drive to Treman via rt 17, but decided to take 81 so I could show Scotty my home mountain, Greek Peak. Traffic was pretty heavy when we did hit Ithaca, students returning to Cornell, and Ithaca College a contributing factor no doubt. The trails were busier than usual too.

uploadfromtaptalk1408959402144.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1408959486584.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1408959521025.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1408959601171.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1408959627108.jpg
Construction along the gorge trail, a little disappointed the upper part was closed, the most scenic part, but the high water levels from recent rain made up for it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Cornhead

After we finished our hike I took a drive to the overlook at Taughannock. Good timing, it's usually just a trickle this time of year.

uploadfromtaptalk1408959996105.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1408960157820.jpg

Savemeasammy

Nice pics, Cornhead. It looks like a great hike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cornhead

Nice pics, Cornhead. It looks like a great hike.

Yep, thanks, I left 70lbs on those trails, found half of it back, but I'm working on it.

Savemeasammy

Yep, thanks, I left 70lbs on those trails, found half of it back, but I'm working on it.

Good for you. Hopefully you notice the difference on the hill this season!

Cornhead

Good for you. Hopefully you notice the difference on the hill this season!

Thanks, that's the plan, last year was by far my best ski season ever, it could've been even better had I not let my fitness slip, no complaints though.

Yes, Marc Ithaca and the Finger Lakes region is pretty cool, Hell, NYS is pretty cool, too bad we get lumped in with NYC constantly. Too bad New Amsterdam didn't stick. If it did we'd probably be New Amsterdam State anyway.

JimG.

Staff member
Dropped my son Peter off at Cornell for his freshman year. I wish I could have stayed and hiked with you guys, but I wanted to get out to Rochester to see my oldest son David at RIT. The extra driving kind of sucked but it made me realize it will be convenient to visit both of them on the same trip in the future.

Also went by Greek on my trip up to Ithaca. I could spend a day or two there. Not a ton of vert.

Cornhead

Dropped my son Peter off at Cornell for his freshman year. I wish I could have stayed and hiked with you guys, but I wanted to get out to Rochester to see my oldest son David at RIT. The extra driving kind of sucked but it made me realize it will be convenient to visit both of them on the same trip in the future.

Also went by Greek on my trip up to Ithaca. I could spend a day or two there. Not a ton of vert.

Nope, but it's home! Tell your Son in Rochester to checkout Letchworth Park if he can, Genesee River Gorge, pretty neat place in NYS too.

ScottySkis

I so happy I got to hike up her very very scenic and those steps heart pumping great excercise. Good times hiking with Cornhead. Greart college town it looks like. So many great places to have hills of fun NY state got to love this.