• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Montage Mountain

manhattanskier

Website
www.patriotbrass.org
Hello AplineZone!

I am considering going to Montage Mountain this season now that it has new owners, does anyone have the inside scoop on the new management after the sale? What is the vibe there?

Thanks so much!

mbedle

Can't said I have any information about the new owners. The place is (was back when I skied there) nice to ski at, stick to the lower and eastern half of the mountain. Their blog indicates only 140K visitor last season, so it would seem that crowds wouldn't be too bad. However, if you are already at Montage or are from that area, I would also suggest heading up to Elk and trying them out. Elk is a rough diamond in PA, but offers some great ski conditions with minimal crowds. If you go mid-week to elk or Montage, you are going to have the place pretty much to yourself.

trackbiker

The new owner seems committed to the mountain. They renovated the lodge last season, installed new lights, and built a new building for rentals. Conditions are usually good as the last owner lined the place with fan guns. They had a $25.00 morning ticket last year that was good from 8:30 to 1:00 including weekends. Business does seem to be picking up.

Cornhead

Might have to give Montage a try sometime, so far my only PA ski experiences have been at Elk, and Shawnee.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

SKI-3PO

I was there MLK weekend last year with a little fresh snow and there was noone there. Slow lifts and flat at the top, but there are a few interesting trails at the bottom that can keep you entertained for a bit.

millerm277

I've skied there occasionally for years. You are not going to ski that 1000ft vertical very often.

Iron Horse and whatever the beginner lift are called - The trails are windblown and short. You'll ski a run or two up there and that's it.

Fast Track and Runaway - Fairly interesting, longest runs, LOOONNNNGGGGGG lift ride back up on Long Haul if you're lapping it.

North Face/Phoebe Snow - This is the main reason you'd go to Montage. Great couple of runs, some of the only terrain in the Poconos with any actual pitch, etc.

Beyond that, the snowmaking is good as others have mentioned. Usually quite uncrowded due to it's prior bad reputation. Night skiing lighting used to be poor, but I've heard it's improved.

x10003q

If you are coming out of Manhattan you should go to the Catskills. Belleayre and Hunter are similar length rides and way better skiing and snow. If you want zero crowds and awesome terrain then drive about 20 minutes past Belleayre and ski Plattekill.
While the lower section of Montage can be fun, it is very short.

SIKSKIER

First time I've seen difficulty ratings with 5 catagories.

35% Beginner/Easiest, 25% Novice, 15% Intermediate/More Difficult, 15% Advanced, 10% Expert/Most Difficult