• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Time-warp base lodges

skiberg

These type of resorts always seem to be my favorites. I love the places that are just ski areas and not much else.

La reserve
whitewater
a-basin
mid-Burke (technically not a base lodge, but my favorite).
owls head
mt. Spokane
pats peak
Berkshire east
49 degrees north

ThinkSnow

I always got a kick out of the "NO DIVING" sign above the urinal. I don't think it's there anymore.

It's still there, but the paint color's been updated.
attachment.php

Attachments

• MRG_Trough.jpg
    MRG_Trough.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 296

dlague

MidBurke Lodge. Better get there soon....

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone

+1 That one is old and has dust from the 70's

Others for me - Black Mountain- NH, Whaleback, Owls Head (including their trails side apartments/condos), Magic

xwhaler

Bolton Valley, Smuggs

Some new/nice/architecturally pleasing lodges=Saddleback, BMOM, Dartmouth Skiway

mattchuck2

Website
skiequalsmc2.blogspot.com
I came on here to say Hickory and Willard: Two lodges with open fireplaces in the center of the room (which I consider to be awesome in this overly litigious world), but I see they've already been mentioned.

I would like to say that Royal Mountain, NY has a retro lodge and a trough urinal, so MRG doesn't have a monopoly on seeing other dudes' schlongs.

ceo

My first thought when I stopped for lunch at the Mt. Ellen base lodge last year was "Wow, this place clearly hasn't changed a bit since the 60s.". My second thought was "And neither has the food." :-/

The Old Peabody (excuse me, "Notchview") lodge at Cannon has actually seen a fair bit of rearrangement in the years I've been skiing there, but still has the same feel. More so, I feel, than the Tramway lodges. New Peabody still feels like the generic low bidder state contract box it was in 1975 despite the addition of the Cannonball Pub and the better food.

The Sugarloaf lodge is completely different from how it was in 1977. The new lodge was more or less constructed over the old one (I remember seeing the new steel columns sticking out of the roof of the old lodge), which probably explains some of the more peculiar aspects of its layout.

The one or two times I've skied Waterville as an adult, the lodge seemed completely familiar from when we went there sometimes when I was a small child. The nursery was even in the same place. :) That was quite a few years ago; I've no idea what it's like now.

billski

Website
ski.iabsi.com
Northeast Slopes - brings the word "shack" to mind. It's loved and cared for. It's a place to warm up, get a hot cocoa and change your wet gear. That's about it.
attachment.php

I'm sure a lot of the community Maine areas will count as well.

Attachments

• neslopeslodge2009big.jpg
    neslopeslodge2009big.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 168

steamboat1

Norwich University ski area (NELSAP). Thats the main offices & ticket window you're looking at, the base lodge is on your right. Benches along the walls inside with a pot belly stove in the middle. Room for maybe a dozen. No services.

attachment.php

Attachments

• norwichbaselodgead.jpg
    norwichbaselodgead.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 104
Last edited: