• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Another Reason Why I Don't Hike in NJ

hammer

Surprised, didn't think black bears attacked people...sounds like the hikers didn't know what to do either since they ran away.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
You mean besides the fact that it's in NJ?

" May have attacked due to the shortage of acorns"
Sheesh..... Global warming caused the bear attack ? In Pa. there are tons of acorns.
If you run from a bear it will assume you are prey. Been some video on TV recently of agressive Black bears .

deadheadskier

Staff member
Saw one not ten feet outside my parents door in Ludlow, VT a month ago. Their place is only about 100 yards off route 100 and there's plenty of other neighbors around. So, not exactly the type of place you'd expect to see a bear strolling around. Probably a solid 250# bear.

Not Sure

Website
www.youtube.com
Saw one not ten feet outside my parents door in Ludlow, VT a month ago. Their place is only about 100 yards off route 100 and there's plenty of other neighbors around. So, not exactly the type of place you'd expect to see a bear strolling around. Probably a solid 250# bear.

Sunday night had a conversation with my inlaws neighbor , they live in a small town West of Jim Thorpe.
All Summer a Sow and 3 cubs have been raiding garbage cans.

She also told me a funny story about a Woman who owns a Deli in Jim Thorpe. She sent an employee up to her house to get more rye bread, the employee returned with the wide eyes and informed her there was a bear in her house!
She ran up and found a large bear had broken the window where a bag of birdseed was visable.
The bear went crazy trying to exit and left huge claw marks in the log home walls wrecked the dining room table.
She went and opened the door and hid under the deck while the bear wandered out.