• Welcome to AlpineZone, the largest online community of skiers and snowboarders in the Northeast!

You may have to REGISTER before you can post. Registering is FREE, gets rid of the majority of advertisements, and lets you participate in giveaways and other AlpineZone events!

Best Glade in New England

4aprice

Just looking at the perfectly spaced trees they've been planting next to the trails over the past decade or so is maddening.

Elk has been big in planting trees and has actually changed the path of several trails by doing so. That is probably the biggest reason they do not allow skiing in the woods. (though there were tracks just off the right side of the west side lift last season). I'm pretty leary of going in the woods anywhere south of Vermont (except at maybe Plattekill). Lots of unwelcome surprises in those trees.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

St. Bear

Website
twitter.com
Elk has been big in planting trees and has actually changed the path of several trails by doing so. That is probably the biggest reason they do not allow skiing in the woods. (though there were tracks just off the right side of the west side lift last season). I'm pretty leary of going in the woods anywhere south of Vermont (except at maybe Plattekill). Lots of unwelcome surprises in those trees.

Alex

Lake Hopatcong, NJ

The only time I was there a couple years ago, I rode the lift with a couple of longtime passholders (30+ years). They said that the top used to be almost clear cut, but it would get terribly wind scoured, and that's why they started planting the trees.

Because it's not an old growth forest, I'm willing to bet that there aren't a lot of surprises there. I took one run, made sure I was alone, and weaved in and out of the trees. Was real nice snow.

dlague

This is becoming a great resource! Now have to find that thread that talked about secret stashes and all will be good in the world - at least in my world!

BenedictGomez

I imagine the woods wouldn't commonly be in play at Elk Mountain due to PA snow starvation, but they definitely could have been the day I was there. Sadly, there were lots of, "If you ski the trees we will execute you" (or something like that) signs in place, and I was chicken.

I took one run, made sure I was alone, and weaved in and out of the trees. Was real nice snow.

Smellytele

Why do I watch goPro POV videos? They always make me feel ill after about 45 seconds. Also why does everyone point their cameras at the ground?

Looks like he is way back in his seat and steering with his hands.

JAM614

Thanks for the Black Mountain of Maine honorable mentions! We're an all volunteer group working on our tenth glade (St. John Glade) and this one is going to be an interesting trail. We may not have the steepest and or most technical glades in NE but we do have some of the cleanest that ski well with minimal snowpack.
Tons of terrain to develop on this mountain. Black is a short drive from Sunday River east on RT 2 , gets nearly the same amount of snow, and a sure bet to be open on windy powder days. $15 Fridays, $25 Saturdays and Sundays with 1150 lift served Vert. and more via hiking. http://www.skiblackmountain.org/
Stjohnglade.jpg

ST JOHN GLADE OCT 2014.jpg

Last edited:

BenedictGomez

In pa theyre lucky to have that

I didn't know Blue Mountain did that. I cant imagine it's open that often, though if they pound snowmaking in there I guess it could be given it's tiny and between trails. But there are so many tracks in there from the repeated traffic it looks like trenches have formed. Not fun.

This video should be renamed "poor skiing done in the woods between a few trails at Blue Mt". That would be more accurate.

Pretty much. But I'm guessing the important thing is their marketing team can say they have "glades" now.

mriceyman

They do line a couple guns into that area. Ive skied that section with minimal natural snow anywhere else.

Sent from my iPhone using AlpineZone